Author Topic: First Peek at my "parcel service" Mack Vision single axle tractor  (Read 3335 times)

HuskerN

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: First Peek at my "parcel service" Mack Vision single axle tractor
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 10:05:15 PM »
All 3D printing needs is a good quality printer. Don't believe me ? got any Mark 4 items compare them to Shapeways.

Catt, I don't disagree with you one bit, even having never seen a Mark 4 item first hand.  However, unless you know of a printer of that quality that is reasonably priced for personal use, or an alternative printing service to Shapeways that will allow me to print on demand, print small batches of files as I create new designs, and offer my designs to others (all for a reasonable price), your statement really isn't relevant to my specific needs.

I am not here to defend Shapeways, or argue that they set the standard for what 3d is capable of.  I just use them because there is no alternative, at least for what I am doing.  If there is, I would be very interested to know more.

HuskerN

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013, 10:19:50 PM »
Wasn't really knocking Shapeways as I have gotton some Z scale stuff that was absolutely flawless.I think Shapeways could do a better job but their QC definately seems to be lacking at times.

I would think that since folks like you are putting money in their pockets they would listen abit closer to what they are being told by the designers.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

Smike

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2013, 10:54:00 PM »
Sweet! One question, is that model of Mack too new for the trailers? [/rivet counting]  :)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5226
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2013, 11:02:41 PM »
HuskerN: assuming that you read my earlier post, do you think that my idea might work?  You're the 3D design wiz - would that be worth trying, to achieve smooth surfaces, while retaining some details on the model?
. . . 42 . . .

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +293
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2013, 12:07:04 AM »
Sweet! One question, is that model of Mack too new for the trailers? [/rivet counting]  :)

From Mack's web page the Vision day cab was introduced in 2002.  http://www.macktrucks.com/default.aspx?pageid=264

The UPS drop frame pups survived well into the 21st Century, with some receiving the "acorn" paint scheme that was introduced in 2003. 

The second trailer in this 2004 photo is a drop frame pup:  http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/brian_kuchay/2004/apr13/243578_in_sun.jpg

Carter
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

HuskerN

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2013, 06:23:17 AM »
Peteski,
I could try making the lines and details a bit more prominent.  I already give some of these models a generous amount of primer anyway, so not sure how much to exaggerate the details.  If you also recall, my 387 Pete had that wood grain look on the side of the cab that was very subtle?  That is more the result of how the curved surface is drawn in my file.  A curved surface is actually made up of many flat planes or polygons, and the smoother you want the surface, the more polygons you need to use.  For example, a circle is made up of several straight lines.  If you want the circle rounder, you use more lines.  An extreme example would be to use an octagon for a circle.  The more lines or polygons you use, the bigger the file size.  When I drew my livestock trailer for example, all of the oval vent holes was causing sketchup to bring my computer to its knees.  Of course, there maybe ways to make a program run better with larger files, but I am not that sophisticated.

What I am trying to say is that the stepping on curves surfaces is actually caused in some degree by the drawing itself, due to curved surfaces being made up of flat planes.  But the printer also contributes to this too.  I will keep playing with my drawings and see if I can't enhance the surfaces and detail to allow more primer.  Overall, when I get done painting, any irregularities are very subtle and hard to see unless viewed by a camera lens or up close with the naked eye.

HuskerN

HuskerN

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 08:10:19 AM »
Here's an update on my progress:

still a few things needed before I can call it complete.

HuskerN
www.nscaleaddiction.blogspot.com
www.shapeways.com/shops/NScaleAddict

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1640
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2013, 08:58:12 AM »
Dude!  Where'd you get the decals - UPS is notorious for NOT licensing.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4704
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2013, 09:04:41 AM »
Nice.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

kalbert

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2013, 11:21:55 AM »
Nice units!

And amen brother. You're doing N scale a great service with models like these, keep up the good work!

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2013, 02:45:48 PM »
I was thinking....would it make sense to exaggerate certain details on the model (like the door lines, grille pattern, etc.). Then heavily prime the model (to fill in the surface stepping caused by 3D printing), while the molded-on details which are supposed to be visible, would still remain visible under the heavy primer coat.

I was thinking the same thing. This is basically what they do on diecast models because the paint is often so thick--especially with the smaller scales. For example, comparing a CMW HO and N-scale version of the same model, the exaggeration is clear.
James R. Will

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5226
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2013, 04:35:33 PM »
Nice!  I have a real UPS paint chip (picked right of a 1:1 UPS truck). The brown seems a bit light but if you used true UPS brown, it would most likely look almost black.

I suspect that the decals are home-brewed. They look pretty darn good too.
. . . 42 . . .