Author Topic: New FVM car style?  (Read 2711 times)

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +51
New FVM car style?
« on: June 24, 2008, 05:10:30 PM »
I haven't seen this discussed yet so I thought I would bring it up. The latest issue of N-Scale Railroading has an ad from Fox Valley Models that strongly suggests that they will be releasing a Soo Line 7-post plug door boxcar. What a great addition to the N Scale world! The Soo Line produced more than 2300 of these cars in their Fond du Lac shops and they have been painted in probably five or six different Soo Line schemes, as well as for the Wisconsin Central and the CP. Time to start gathering up all those old MDC, Athearn, and MT "stand-in" cars for replacement by these cars!

Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Ryan87

• Crew
  • Stay thirsty my friend...
  • Respect: 0
Re: New FVM car style?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 07:28:05 PM »
Fond du Lac boxcars Sweet!

I've been thinking of getting out of trains.... If they release that car I'll have to keep modeling something!!!

Swimming in a sea of Action Red...

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 09:31:04 PM »
This announcement, plus the True Line Trains Canadian 50' paper hauling box cars are going send many of us into the car bin to "moth ball" the tried and true Micro Trains stand in's.... the question now is, "will Micro Trains respond; retool and offer some newer prototypes in the 1970's-2000 boxcar models" ?

I ain't bettin on it................
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Chulvis

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +5
    • http://www.featherrivertrains.com
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 12:49:42 AM »
This announcement, plus the True Line Trains Canadian 50' paper hauling box cars are going send many of us into the car bin to "moth ball" the tried and true Micro Trains stand in's.... the question now is, "will Micro Trains respond; retool and offer some newer prototypes in the 1970's-2000 boxcar models" ?

I ain't bettin on it................

Pudd: Don't get caught up in all the hysteria, calm down.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1458
    • Modutrak
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 11:44:50 AM »
With FVM having made other announcements at big shows, I wouldn't be surprised to see the 7 post officially announced at NSC.  Though the ad with the photo and 'Coming SOOn' wasn't exactly subtle, and could be considered an announcement as well. ;-)

ljudice

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 12:00:23 PM »
Very cool news!!!

Another boxcar I'd really like to see are the PS wafflesides with waffle up the entire car side, as per the SOU/NS and probably others...

Lou

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +378
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 01:55:11 PM »
Another boxcar I'd really like to see are the PS wafflesides with waffle up the entire car side, as per the SOU/NS and probably others...

Didn't MDC do those? Not that I've seen one anytime recently, but I remember someone did a waffle side boxcar... but if MDC did, maybe Athearn will re-release?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

soo

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 02:24:10 PM »
 I saw the same ad. I was happy and sad at the same time.

Yeah!!!! SOO boxes
Boo!! Mr wallet is real thin right now.

Well maybe I can use my quarterly gainsharing check to get all the numbers, and schemes.

Adios Wyatt

ljudice

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 02:31:00 PM »
sirenwerks, MDC did a PS Waffleside - but it was a car that the SOU/NS never owned. It's fine for CSXT and some others though.

Lou

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +378
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 05:14:11 PM »
Thanks Lou, at least I'm not crazy (yet).
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

POVC

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 10:21:52 PM »
I briefly talked to Matt tonight; he indicated we WOULD be announcing another new car at the convention this weekend.  My guess is he'll roll it out on Friday at the Swap-O-Rama.  More details when I get them.

Tim

Walkercolt

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 09:54:34 PM »
Hey, we're N-scalers, the scale of "almosts", "close-enough" and "stand-ins". Can we stand an accurate car? Honestly now, HO modelers often have to do resin cars to get an accurate model of many, many cars. And some of the kits require you to detail the underframe too. I'm happy for anything different and good.