Author Topic: Grand Trunk Southern  (Read 27384 times)

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1398
Re: Grand Trunk Southern
« Reply #165 on: September 21, 2024, 09:41:06 AM »
Great progress!  Despite the household disruption, you still seem to get a lot done.

Are you planning to ballast?  It would really complete the fantastic scenery.

shark_jj

• Crew
  • Respect: +644
« Reply #166 on: September 21, 2024, 02:40:46 PM »
I always ballast last.  I've done that since I started in HO back in the late 60's.  I feel like its because you tend to get diluted white glue floating around when you do scenery whereas when you ballast it is pretty contained.  I will do the ground work in the foreground and then add the ballast in at the end. 
John

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1398
« Reply #167 on: September 21, 2024, 04:26:40 PM »
Ah, makes sense.  Carry on, great execution!

shark_jj

• Crew
  • Respect: +644
« Reply #168 on: October 10, 2024, 10:50:25 PM »
+1
This is just a catch up post for things I posted on the Weekend Update and didn't include on the layout thread.  Last weekend I had the layout open during the HOMES Club Layout Tour.  The HOMES Club is a local HO Club here in Hamilton who have a beautiful museum quality layout that honours the history of the local Toronto Hamilton and Buffalo Railway.  In order to be ready for the tour, I coloured a few areas of white plaster, like this small road leading down to the tower at the throat of the Helix staging yard.  A before and after photo.  The tower was picked up for a $1 at an estate sale.  I'm going to try colouring it with pan pastels.  Winter project.  I also assisted my grandson Nathan to pour the water in the scene that we have been working on and has been discussed in the immediately preceding posts.  That came out great, he did a fine job.  Lastly, there is a photo of two of the coal trains that ran during the layout tour.  All told we ran 6 different trains over the course of the day.  They ran smoothly with no derailments, it was a good day.  I had a little over 40 people visit.

Small road leading to Helix Tower before:

Small road after some scenic work.  Trees and shrubs were added.  Used grout for the road surface.

Photo posted in Weekend Update showing the water installed by Nathan

Two coal trains running during the layout tour.  Also posted in Weekend Update.  Those who enquired about the bridge supports or lack thereof will be happy to know they are under construction.

John