Author Topic: Decoder For Old N-Scale Kato F7B  (Read 394 times)

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +161
Decoder For Old N-Scale Kato F7B
« on: May 27, 2024, 02:33:33 PM »
I have one of the old Stewart/Kato F7B's.  At least I think that's what it is.  There's no mfg. name on the chassis, just the number 17605.  I would like to install a non-sound decoder in it but I can't find anything for something this old.  Any suggestions?

Doug

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5164
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Decoder For Old N-Scale Kato F7B
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2024, 02:42:50 PM »
Yes, that is a Kato from late '80s or early '90s.  The metal chassis pretty much fills the body shell, heavy as a brick, and great  puller.
Spookshow's review: http://spookshow.net/loco/katof.html

Since there really isn't any room for a decoder, you would have to saw off or mill a hunk of the chassis to make space for a hard-wired decoder.
. . . 42 . . .

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2385
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2024, 02:48:37 PM »
I think I have one of those. Let me check to be sure when I get over to the layout building today.

What I do know is there will be no drop-in decoder, nor will a semi-drop-in like the TCS CN work. I'm figuring on something like a TCS M4 wired-in decoder nestled in the notch for the A-unit nose. They're the same chassis.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Note: Images linked in my postings are on an HTTP server, not HTTPS. Enable "mixed content" in your browser to view.

There are over 1000 images on this server. Not changing anytime soon.

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +161
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2024, 02:57:14 PM »
Thanks for the help guys.  I agree with C855B  and will likely go with a TCS M4.  I got a few of those installed in some older units and they work just fine. 

Doug

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1079
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2024, 03:25:19 PM »
I used Digitrax DZ-123 and -126 on the old Kato's I did.  And a lot of Kapton tape, if memory serves...

I was a little thrown by the Kato-Stewart reference.  Did Stewart market those at some time in the early days?

Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

Sumner

• Crew
  • Respect: +654
    • My Home Pages....
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2024, 04:34:03 PM »
+1
I'm really getting to be a fan...

... of the ESU LokPilot shown above.  Very small and about $30-$32 and seem to have good motor control.

https://1fatgmc.com/RailRoad/Decoder-1/page-25.html

Sumner
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 04:38:20 PM by Sumner »
Working in N Scale ---Modeling UP from late 40's to early 70's very loosely......

Under$8.00 Servo turnout Control --- 3D Printed Model RR Objects -- My Home Page

http://1fatgmc.com/RailRoad/RR Main/Link Page Menu.html

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5164
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2024, 05:35:58 PM »
Yes, the prices of domestically made decoders have caught up to the European decoders (which are superior in motor control, lighting effects using LEDs and have upgradable firmware).  They also have more functions available, even in such small footprint.

I also never heard of any connections between Steward and  Kato.  Kato severed their connection with Atlas when they produced the GP38-2.  The F-units I believe were produced after that model, so they are 100% Kato  USA.
. . . 42 . . .

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +615
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2024, 09:07:59 PM »
The Steward connection was in HO. Kato made, I think, a U25B and F3's for them under similar arrangements to what Atlas had for N. The Kato F3's were originally supposed to be for Con Cor, but Kato instead decided to release them under their own brand. And the rest, as they say, is history. 
Aaron Bearden