Author Topic: SP 2-8-0 differences  (Read 1426 times)

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +902
    • My blog
Re: SP 2-8-0 differences
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2023, 01:02:39 PM »
Is it possible that someone took the drivers out of the loco then installed driver #2 rotated 180 degrees?  That would cause the behavior you described.

In brass locos, the insulation in the drivers is between the tire and driver's center.  Under magnification you can see the thin layer of insulation in that area.
not likely, it ran great for a few years, though it did start acting up when I put neolube on the connecting rods

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5150
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2023, 02:11:25 PM »
Neolube is conductive (graphite).  If some got deposited on the insulating driver tire, that might cause a problem.  You migth ant to examine that driver's rite under strong magnification.  Although I wouldn't think the graphite would create a such a low resistance path to cause enough current to pass to cause sparks at the rail.

I have never seen the insulating tire to fail, but I have not handled very many brass steam locos.  Maybe remove that driver from the loco and examine the insulated driver from outside and inside.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 02:14:07 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +902
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2024, 07:59:35 PM »
Neolube is conductive (graphite).  If some got deposited on the insulating driver tire, that might cause a problem.  You migth ant to examine that driver's rite under strong magnification.  Although I wouldn't think the graphite would create a such a low resistance path to cause enough current to pass to cause sparks at the rail.

I have never seen the insulating tire to fail, but I have not handled very many brass steam locos.  Maybe remove that driver from the loco and examine the insulated driver from outside and inside.
in all honesty, I am scared to open her up again