Author Topic: Need help installing a DZ123 decoder in a N scale Tomix Hello Kitty Shinkansen  (Read 905 times)

bc6

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • PRLX Leasing
I have the DZ123 a soldering iron all I need is some guidance installing the decoder thanks.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5202
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Without knowing how that model is designed (I have never seen it in-person), it is difficult to give any specific instructions.  Some models are easy to convert to DCC, others need some modifications.

DZ123?  That is a rather old decoder. They are now up to DZ126.
. . . 42 . . .

woodone

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
Digatrax is still making the DZ-123.
Used one last week!

peteski

• Crew
Digatrax is still making the DZ-123.
Used one last week!

I wonder why?  Isn't DZ126 available for similar price?  126 has never version of firmware (6th generation).  I wonder if it is old stock being sold.
. . . 42 . . .

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1080
I wonder why?  Isn't DZ126 available for similar price?  126 has never version of firmware (6th generation).  I wonder if it is old stock being sold.
I am guessing Digitrax still makes them because customers still buy them.  I wish the makers of transition era rolling stock were as attentive to their customers.

Digitrax still lists the DZ-123 as current on their website. It is the "economy" version of the DZ-12x decoders (as listed).  The one thing that stood out to me when I looked at both spec sheets is that the older 123 decoder is a bit more forgiving on peak amps- its max is 2.0 instead of 1.5 for the 126- so I wonder if it might be a little tougher when installed in older locos, or when used in HO locomotives.  My assumption is that most installation for either the DZ 126 or the DZ 123 are on older, non-DCC ready locos, where speed control, headlight, and some consisting features are about all you need.

Personally, I still use them for "vintage" locos, like LifeLike E units, mostly because I bought a bunch of them years ago, and still have a few that are already paid for. I can't tell the difference operationally between a 123 and a 126 in those older installations. Newer units just get whatever drop in fits.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1080
Here's a guide for installing a different brand small decoder in a Shinkansen 500 - but might be helpful (?).  Is the "Hello Kitty" version somehow different, other than decoration?
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

carlso

• Crew
  • Respect: +501
Here's a guide for installing a different brand small decoder in a Shinkansen 500 - but might be helpful (?).

Where is the guide ?
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

greenwizard88

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
This is, without a doubt, the hardest DCC install I've ever done.

First off, get some DZ-126T decoders. The T stands for "Tiny", and they are easier to deal with. One is for the power car, the other two are for the headlights on each cab car. Don't get a function-only decoder for the cab cars, as they can't be programmed for a headlight on F0 that's directional.

I don't recall the motor car specifically, but on the cab cars there are little cavities under the circuit board area, you can shove a DZ-126T into that space, and wire it to the light board. You can solder the pickup wires to the metal strips that pickup power, but they are difficult to solder to.

On the motor car, you could potentially put the decoder in the seating area, unless you also plan on lighting it. I didn't.

If you don't have everything perfectly hidden, if there are any buldges, the car won't go back together properly and there will be small gaps. It's a pain in the rear end to get right.

I don't think I have any photos, but if you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer.

I pretty much followed this when I installed DCC into mine - https://jnsforum.com/community/topic/19812-help-needed-with-tomix-hello-kitty-digitrax-dz123-installation

peteski

• Crew
I pretty much followed this when I installed DCC into mine - https://jnsforum.com/community/topic/19812-help-needed-with-tomix-hello-kitty-digitrax-dz123-installation

Funny thing is that the thread you pointed to was started by the same parson who started thsi thread with the same question here.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 09:41:35 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

nscaler711

• Crew
  • @frs_strelizia
  • Respect: +186
    • IG
Ok so it's been a few years since I've installed a DZ125 in a regular 500 series. But it's kinda like hard wiring a P42/PA/E unit. I'd Open up my EVA 500 to see if they've made changes to this model, but I'd rather not. They are kind of rare at this point and finding parts for it will be impossible.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 03:05:41 PM by nscaler711 »
“If you have anything you wanna say, you better spit it out while you can. Because you’re all going to die sooner or later." - Zero Two

peteski

• Crew
That looks closer to Kato's RDC cars than to a P42.
. . . 42 . . .

nscaler711

• Crew
  • @frs_strelizia
  • Respect: +186
    • IG
That looks closer to Kato's RDC cars than to a P42.
Probably, I've never owned an RDC but it has the same goofy clip the P42s have that hold down the motor contacts.
“If you have anything you wanna say, you better spit it out while you can. Because you’re all going to die sooner or later." - Zero Two

greenwizard88

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
Funny thing is that the thread you pointed to was started by the same parson who started thsi thread with the same question here.

Ahahaha such a fail on my part. To be fair though, the guide I followed was  from the jns forum. That was the only thread I could find for Hello Kitty, so maybe the one I followed was removed?