Author Topic: SP transition era boxcars  (Read 2316 times)

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1156
Re: SP transition era boxcars
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2023, 11:59:16 AM »
This doesn't look much like an SP boxcar or a 51 Studebaker...
{"error":{"code":"EC-4008","requestId":"b78ce3a0-0ed9-11ee-c000-65c757e27165"}}

In any case, Joe, thanks for NOT producing an ATSF gondola or a combine this month.  The roofers are up there right now hammering away, and until the roof is paid off, I won't be able to afford any of the stuff I complain about MTL not making.

glad I could help  ;) 
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +306
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2023, 04:00:47 PM »
+3
As for decals...as already pointed out, the MS decal sets were (at one time) promised to be updated, but that was YEARS ago and I no longer believe that it will be happening. The 'best' set is (IMHO) is 911 - SP Freight Wood Box Cars- Box Car - Wood - Single Sheathed. It at least has enough decals to do multiple cars, but only cars with the SP or S.P. (initials only). I haven't checked lately but I'm almost sure that the data is wrong as well, but who really checks the data?

There is also the 3 - (SP) Freight Car - General Service - incl Hydra-Cushion Slogans that has lettering for almost all of the lettering schemes...in multiple (incorrect) sizes, but has NO data or numbers so you will need to source that from one of the other sheets or somewhere else.

If you want to do the 1946-1955 lettering (Southern Pacific spelled out) then you will need either 923 - Southern Pacific 40' Express & Overnight Box Cars which has enough "Southern Pacific" to do two cars, but doesn't have the correct medallions or 1314 - SP 40' Composite Beet Rack Gondolas 1950+ and USGX 1970+. It looks to have enough "Southern Pacific" and medallions to do three cars and also has the SP and gothic lettering to do 1955-1957 lettering but the data will certainly be wrong since it is data for the sugar beet gondolas.

1921-1931: 45" Circle medallion with black background on right, S.P. (initials only) with number and 1" lines above and below

1931-1946: 45" Circle medallion with black background on right, SP (initials only no periods) with number and 1" lines above and below

1946-1952: 45" Circle medallion with black background on right, SOUTHERN PACIFIC with number and 1" lines above and below

1952-1955: 45" Circle medallion with black background on right, SOUTHERN PACIFIC with number and NO lines above or below

1955-1957: 45" Circle medallion with black background on right, Gothic Southern Pacific on left above SP (initials only) and number

Alternate 1955-1957:  45" Circle medallion with black background on LEFT above SP (initials only) and number, Gothic Southern Pacific on RIGHT
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 04:08:44 PM by JMaurer1 »
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +295
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2023, 10:31:57 PM »
Thanks ... too bad we N scalers have to jump through hoops and do lots of cutr and paste to make cars of a CLASS 1 RAILROAD. I can see L&NE, or C&IM, or other small-change railroad being ignored when it comes to equipment and decals. But the SP?

Oh wait it turns out Atlas is bringing out its FA-1 in PRR, NYC, E-L and ... hey! L&NE!!

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1144
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2023, 11:23:44 PM »
+2
Thanks ... too bad we N scalers have to jump through hoops and do lots of cutr and paste to make cars of a CLASS 1 RAILROAD. I can see L&NE, or C&IM, or other small-change railroad being ignored when it comes to equipment and decals. But the SP?

Oh wait it turns out Atlas is bringing out its FA-1 in PRR, NYC, E-L and ... hey! L&NE!!

Have you considered switching to HO?  :| Might be more Ready to Run options.
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

JMaurer1

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2023, 11:52:54 AM »
+1
Friends don't let friends model HO...

Mike Madonna

• Crew
  • Respect: +120
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2023, 08:36:43 PM »

Please check your messages...
Mike
SOUTHERN PACIFIC Coast Division 1953
Santa Margarita Sub

JMaurer1

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2023, 11:12:25 AM »
MTLJoe: Let me know if you need any info for running more SP box cars...

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1156
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2023, 11:32:09 AM »
There don't seem to be many SP N boxcars cars with roundel logo and the old-style lettering made. A lot of SP boxcars have the large billboard lettering. I don't know what year SP changed to that style markings, I'm looking for marking styles pre-1955. There are 40' PS-1s and another boxcar type from Broadway Limited. But seems like most SP cars are with the billboard lettering and the usual "DF" logo. The SP wasn't a small RR; you'd think there'd have as wide a range in N of car types and paint schemes from different eras as there are for UP, ATSF, PRR, NYC, CN, etc. (unfortunately the MTL PS-1s have that extra height problem)

It may be Intermountain offered steam-era SP cars, I'd really like to have a 50' double- or single door, with the roundel. I may just go the paint and decal route. Looks like MicroScale offers a set with those markings.

send me some ideas so I can put together a runner pack or two. 

Joe

Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

Mike Madonna

• Crew
  • Respect: +120
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2023, 09:38:40 PM »
send me some ideas so I can put together a runner pack or two. 

Joe

Joe,
I may take you up on that offer. I've collaborated with Susan Daly in the past on a few SP "projects"...  ;)
Mike
SOUTHERN PACIFIC Coast Division 1953
Santa Margarita Sub

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +295
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2023, 02:26:39 AM »
Hey, MTL, if you use PS-1s for the "old" SP scheme you will use the post-'47 style, right?  A 50' single door with tjhe medallion logo would be great.