Author Topic: Rapido BART Legacy  (Read 1592 times)

bobdobbs

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
[

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +1029
Re: Rapido BART Legacy
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 06:31:59 PM »
I remember that Walthers did a model of these years ago.

Of course, BART is not standard gauge, so there will likely be a little fudging.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2389
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 06:51:18 PM »
I'm sure some modeler somewhere will mod a set for 5.5' gauge and hand-lay rail accordingly, along with the 3rd rail. I've been around BART a little, enough to know the extra width engenders a different look and feel.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Note: Images linked in my postings are on an HTTP server, not HTTPS. Enable "mixed content" in your browser to view.

There are over 1000 images on this server. Not changing anytime soon.

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +498
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 09:11:07 PM »
Oh wow.  If this were to come to N scale...

Spades

• Crew
  • Respect: +169
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2022, 12:47:16 AM »
I'm sure some modeler somewhere will mod a set for 5.5' gauge and hand-lay rail accordingly, along with the 3rd rail. I've been around BART a little, enough to know the extra width engenders a different look and feel.

The broad gauge another reason why BART latest extension cost 3.2 billion dollars for 15.4 miles

Spades

• Crew
  • Respect: +169
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2022, 12:49:32 AM »
I remember that Walthers did a model of these years ago.

Of course, BART is not standard gauge, so there will likely be a little fudging.

Athearn made them in the 70's?  I wonder if Walthers used the tooling.  It seems a very limited market.

DirtyD79

• Crew
  • Respect: +154
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2022, 04:40:19 PM »
Athearn made them in the 70's?  I wonder if Walthers used the tooling.  It seems a very limited market.

Yeah, from what I've seen of the commuter modeling crowd it seems like most of them buy undecorated or strip down an already decorated model and decal it for the line they're modeling. It's a cool looking model but I can imagine that stuff doesn't sell too well.
I'm stronger when I'm drunk!

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8996
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2022, 11:00:51 AM »
If you watch their videos, a big part of the rationale behind these getting done is support from BART for its anniversary.

I wouldn't be surprised if they bought half the production run for giveaways.

JoeD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1160
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2023, 12:36:53 PM »
+2
I used to ride it every day from Fremont to SF when I was at Bechtel , and around the bay when I was in the NAVY.  Still puzzled why the state never stepped in and forced the South Bay to allow a full loop.  When I transferred to Palo Alto it took an hour and a half to drive from the south bay there on the Dumbarton...I could see my office across the bay from my house.   lol   some days it was faster to take Bart around the horn and down to San Mateo and ride my bike the rest of the way.  Why it doesn't go to Santa Rosa and out to Stockton I'll never know.   Funny story, we had a cluck of engineers who lived up in Volcano and the Sierra  foot hills who would commute to NASA every day.  One guy decided he would use his ultra lite  and just fly across the central valley and land at Moffett.  The way he told it, he rolled down his street, got some altitude and floated above his house, the winds were so strong he just hovered and never got a hundred yards.  Leave it to NASA engineers right?  LOL

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +498
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2023, 09:44:32 PM »
+1
I used to ride it every day from Fremont to SF when I was at Bechtel , and around the bay when I was in the NAVY.  Still puzzled why the state never stepped in and forced the South Bay to allow a full loop.  When I transferred to Palo Alto it took an hour and a half to drive from the south bay there on the Dumbarton...I could see my office across the bay from my house.   lol   some days it was faster to take Bart around the horn and down to San Mateo and ride my bike the rest of the way.  Why it doesn't go to Santa Rosa and out to Stockton I'll never know.   Funny story, we had a cluck of engineers who lived up in Volcano and the Sierra  foot hills who would commute to NASA every day.  One guy decided he would use his ultra lite  and just fly across the central valley and land at Moffett.  The way he told it, he rolled down his street, got some altitude and floated above his house, the winds were so strong he just hovered and never got a hundred yards.  Leave it to NASA engineers right?  LOL

Simply, Marin and San Mateo voted against it to keep out the riff-raff.  (I am using that phrase in a sarcastic, critical manner.) 

Since when could you ride Bart to San Mateo?  It still doesn't go there.  Maybe you transferred to Caltrain?

Anyway, they have actually extended it to northeast San Jose now, with plans to get to Santa Clara by 2028.  But to an old hand like me, the yellow and green/orange lines will always be the Concord and Fremont lines, respectively.

packnrat

• Respect: +1
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2023, 11:29:33 PM »
+1
if any of you visit the walnut creek model rail road there is a display of a number of commuter trains there from around the world. all built out of card stock. the quality is perfect. and yes there is a bart train there.
but sad it will never go to the central valley. or up santa rosa way. nor south to gilroy. as politics is in the way.
other government corps do not want the competition.