Author Topic: T Scale EMD FP9  (Read 1183 times)

Jesse6669

• Crew
  • Respect: +1259
T Scale EMD FP9
« on: July 05, 2023, 10:05:34 AM »
+2
TGauge.com recently listed a 1:450 scale EMD FP9 decorated in CN "zebra stripe" livery.  This runs on T gauge (3mm gauge) track.

See: https://www.tgauge.us/product/454/0/cn-emd-fp9-diesel-locomotive

Manufacturer's photo:
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 10:07:24 AM by Jesse6669 »

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1182
Re: T Scale EMD FP9
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2023, 03:26:42 PM »
Nice!
Any plans for other roads in the near future?
-Al

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5202
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2023, 05:22:08 PM »
Considering how tiny this thing is, it looks very good.
I did smile at the way the front looks, with the large coupler hole in the pilot, and truck mounted coupler vaguely reminiscent of rapido couplers.  Looks just like the old Bachmann N scale F-units. Not that there is anything wrong with that.  :)
. . . 42 . . .

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +209
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2023, 07:42:53 PM »
+1
Talk abut the boxing glove look !   LOL

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2023, 08:17:26 PM »
Talk abut the boxing glove look !   LOL

Yes, but even still, that coupler is tiny!  That whole T-scale engine is probably about 2" long!
. . . 42 . . .

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +209
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2023, 12:06:37 AM »
Yes, but even still, that coupler is tiny!  That whole T-scale engine is probably about 2" long!

Granted and appreciated    ...  just saying ....

eja

Jesse6669

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2023, 08:06:27 AM »
+4
Any plans for other roads in the near future?
Hopefully!  It's all contingent on the CN version selling.

A Milwaukee Road FP7 is planned--they had the winterization hatch so it was a good fit for the same body--even if the portholes are a slightly different arrangement-- and Undec. 

I have artwork for SCL, B&O, Clinchfield, Pennsylvania, PC, and want to do a WP version, so really any of those are possible.  I'm open to suggestions!

I did smile at the way the front looks, with the large coupler hole in the pilot, and truck mounted coupler vaguely reminiscent of rapido couplers.  Looks just like the old Bachmann N scale F-units. Not that there is anything wrong with that.  :)
As for the big hole for the coupler:  In order to make an RTR version from manufacturer's existing tooling, certain concessions had to be made for the consistency of the product line and to use existing mechanisms, which of course use the legacy couplers.  Really, they are rugged and work, if not pretty.  Like Rapidos.. Except for the front, they are not so bad..

On the other hand:  I will be offering (through TGauge.com) an F-Unit Dress Up Kit which includes:
  • Adapter for the front coupler hole which uses either a close-to-scale coupler or a CCE MkIV coupler.   Similar to the old Kadee inserts for Kato/Atlas/LL/etc diesels. 
  • Clear window inserts
  • Blomberg sideframes 
Speaking of the coupler: the CCE MkIV works and is far better looking than the legacy couplers.  The latest batch uses a blend of 3D resins to be stronger as well. 

I also have several passenger shells ready (lightweight coach, parlor car, baggage) and will likely update the CCE F7B shell so A-B-A or A-B-B-A sets can be made.

Here's a sample (PRR FP7) using the aforementioned detail kit, and remember that locomotive is about 5mm wide:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
(Edit) Yes, those are PC noodles.  These were test decals and basically the artwork pushed beyond the limits of the decal printer.  I re-designed some that compensate (think: extra skinny noodles..) but they print better.  One of the oddities of T-scale.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 08:28:00 AM by Jesse6669 »

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2023, 08:48:21 AM »
Oh, I wasn't making fun or uncomplaining about the open pilot and the coupler - it was more of a fond memory of the vintage N scale.

As for the PC noodle, how did you get the much smaller number boards to print out so cleanly? The noodle is quite a bit larger, and the stroke is much thicker. Or did the white ink just spread out closing the gap between strokes.
. . . 42 . . .

Jesse6669

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2023, 09:06:23 AM »
Oh, I wasn't making fun or uncomplaining about the open pilot and the coupler - it was more of a fond memory of the vintage N scale.

As for the PC noodle, how did you get the much smaller number boards to print out so cleanly? The noodle is quite a bit larger, and the stroke is much thicker. Or did the white ink just spread out closing the gap between strokes.

Maybe someday we'll think of this as vintage T scale?   :D

I didn't print the decals myself (Fusion Scale Graphics did, using my artwork, and I'm fairly sure he uses an advanced type of inkjet).  That being the case--as you suggested, I'd agree the ink spread.  Noodles are worse because it was thicker on those areas than the numbers on the number boards.  I say thicker in terms of fractions of microns but probably enough for it to "mushroom" a tiny bit!

Spades

• Crew
  • Respect: +169
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2023, 02:13:23 PM »

Maybe someday we'll think of this as vintage T scale?   :D

It may happen.  If you look at HO models in MR from the late 50 /60's you would think they are N.  Open pilots, truck mounted couplers and crudely rendered oversized cast on details,

Look at a N scale Scale Trains SD40-2 and the latest Athearn tank cars light years ahead of what was available even 20 years ago.

EDIT: Jesse just amazed at your work.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 02:42:41 PM by Spades »

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6800
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2023, 06:27:32 PM »
Looks just like the old Bachmann N scale F-units. Not that there is anything wrong with that.  :)

No!  That’s a bad Peteski!  No!  ;)

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2023, 07:27:25 PM »
+1
No!  That’s a bad Peteski!  No!  ;)

Ohhhh . . . I was just being nostalgic.  I remember when it was ok to actually run those Bachmann locos in public.   ;)
. . . 42 . . .

pmpexpress

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • Trains N Scale
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2023, 08:27:42 PM »
Hopefully!  It's all contingent on the CN version selling.

A Milwaukee Road FP7 is planned--they had the winterization hatch so it was a good fit for the same body--even if the portholes are a slightly different arrangement-- and Undec. 

I have artwork for SCL, B&O, Clinchfield, Pennsylvania, PC, and want to do a WP version, so really any of those are possible.  I'm open to suggestions!

With an F-Unit dress-up kit, I would be interested in acquiring one of these new models if they are ever released in the Clinchfield light gray and yellow paint scheme.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1421
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2023, 02:51:55 AM »
I had one of those Bachmann Fs.  It ran fine, but just "didn't look right" with my Minitrix units.  The rivet strips didn't line up.  Since Minitrix had B-units, and I needed more than two units to model the 1970s BN, Minitrix it was.

If this model runs as well as my Bachmann did, I certainly won't complain about the appearance!
N Kalanaga
Be well