Author Topic: Any ideas for FL9 or C liner running gear?  (Read 5443 times)

pwnj

• Crew
  • The Resourceful Route!
  • Respect: +1
Re: Any ideas for FL9 or C liner running gear?
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2013, 08:36:47 AM »
Now we're talkin'!  8)

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +304
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2017, 04:51:45 AM »
I assume this thread died when Rapido's FL9 came out, but I'm still wanting a 5-axle C-liner. This thread said the Atlas/China SD7/9 and GP30/35 trucks could be swapped -- I'm wondering if the same is true about the Atlas/Kato versions of the same locos?

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +1034
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2017, 04:38:40 PM »
Lifelike C liner with an Erie built rear truck?

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2017, 02:27:31 AM »
I'm doing what the OP did: using a modified Atlas/Kato SD7. He wanted an FL9; I'm using the old Rivarossi C-liner shell over mine. The OP found he could swap out one 3-axle SD truck with a 2 axle SD/GP truck on the Atlas/China \version. Wondering if it works for the Atlas/Kato set. The gear tower in this GP truck is as tall as the gear tower in the SD truck, apparently. I'll be using the side frames from the RR loco on the new loco.

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2017, 09:07:21 PM »
I'm doing what the OP did: using a modified Atlas/Kato SD7. He wanted an FL9; I'm using the old Rivarossi C-liner shell over mine. The OP found he could swap out one 3-axle SD truck with a 2 axle SD/GP truck on the Atlas/China \version. Wondering if it works for the Atlas/Kato set. The gear tower in this GP truck is as tall as the gear tower in the SD truck, apparently. I'll be using the side frames from the RR loco on the new loco.

Would the Atlas/China SD chassis accept an Atlas H16-44 truck?

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2017, 05:15:28 AM »
Would the Atlas/China SD chassis accept an Atlas H16-44 truck?

Have no idea. But I know this:
1) No parts from the Atlas/Kato SD or GP are interchangeable, and
2) Parts for the Atlas/Kato locos are no longer available.

thbguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +110
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2017, 12:44:27 AM »
In 2012, I went through this exercise to find the perfect chassis for my CNR passenger 5 axle C-liners.
Figured it out too! Have an article that is waaaay overdue.

But here is an image of the chassis in progress. It runs like a charm! 3 axles are powered and 5 offer power pickup.

I've kept the project solution a secret because I really wanted to tell the whole story about how I got here in a three-part article, including the prototype, etc.
But life (and death) got in the way...

If I can find it when I unpack, I'll get the model finished and the articles out.

Kind regards,
Michael

Michael Livingston
Modeling southern Ontario in N scale

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt. ~ Abraham Lincoln.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5252
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2017, 12:57:04 AM »
In 2012, I went through this exercise to find the perfect chassis for my CNR passenger 5 axle C-liners.

But here is an image of the chassis in progress. It runs like a charm! 3 axles are powered and 5 offer power pickup.

Those flat-faced wheels look like Life-Like/Walthers wheels.
. . . 42 . . .

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2017, 03:14:18 AM »

Kind regards,
Michael

All I'm trying to do is find out which 2 axle truck will work with the Atlas/Kato SD 7 mechanism. I know it has to be a tall gear tower; is that a LL truck?

thbguy

• Crew
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2017, 08:53:37 PM »
+2
I'm, sorry (Canadian :D) but you misunderstood me. I went through all of the N-scale mechanisms that were available at that time, and was able to find only found one viable, reproducible solution. The SD7/9 trucks are too short for the C-liner, which used a rear PA truck.

I used an early Life-Like PA mechanism, and then changed the front truck from an upside down T-shape to an L-shape by removing one axle. Very simple change. The chassis fits almost perfectly in the shell with very minor adjustments. And the C-liner side frame fits nicely over the remaining PA truck.

No other existing mechanism came close to the length, power, or reproducibility of this solution without rebuilding the frame, getting only two powered axles, or being the wrong length. I am sure other options are possible, but they won't be as easy or as accurate. Unless of course, something new has come out since 2012 that works better.

Voila! :-)

But, N-scale is all about finding a way.
I am just sharing mine.       
Michael Livingston

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt. ~ Abraham Lincoln.

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2017, 10:19:26 PM »
Many paths up the mountain .... I was sure somebody had said somebody's 2 axle truck fit into the 3-axle truck frame. I'm using the Atlas/Kato SD7 and for now did like you ... chopped off the end axle on one truck. But it didn't come out as good as it could have. As for trucks, I measured the Atlas FM to the Atlas SD7, and also to my ConCor PA.  Axle spacing nearly identical in FM-SD, while closer together in FM/PA.  I cut off the outer frame from the Atlas C-liner truck, discarded the outside frame from the SD7 truck, and switched the frames. It's an excellent match.  I had to chop off part of one end of the SD chassis and filed it to fit the round C-liner nose. I used solid spacers in the back of the body shell to get it sitting correctly over the trucks. The SD fuel tank frame extends past the FM shell's, but I can paint the exposed part black. The big pain is fitting the two-axle FM outer frames on the outside of the cut-down Kato truck.

thbguy

• Crew
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2017, 11:01:42 AM »
So very true! Personally, I prefer a helicopter to get up the mountain.  :D
So many mountains, so little time.
Michael Livingston

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1952
    • My website
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2017, 08:24:18 PM »
Well, actually, I did the same basic idea.
But with the SD-7/9 truck.

I took an Atlas/Kato SD/7/9 and removed one wheel from the front truck.
Now, the truck centers on the B truck may be a bit short, but it worked and ran perfectly.

Bryan Bussey has the loco now, so I don't have any photos.

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.