Author Topic: Trainworx knuckle coupler  (Read 1953 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5238
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Trainworx knuckle coupler
« on: November 01, 2013, 07:06:06 PM »
While I have bought bunch of their UPS trailers in the past, I just received my first piece of Trainworx rolling stock (the NACC covered hopper).

Has anybody taken a close look at their couplers?  In my experience this knuckle coupler is the closest in appearance and construction to the Micro-Trains couplers of all the other N scale couplers.  At first I thought those were MT couplers.  But when I took a closer look, they were slightly different in the molded details.  The finish is also matte instead of shiny finish of the MT couplers, and the overall finish of the molds is a bit rougher. It might also be made from a different material.  They are also made using standard (not reverse draft angle) molds.

I'm not posting this as a negative comment - strictly as a curiosity.  I know that many modelers don't really care about such small details, but I enjoy closely examining my models.

Trainworx does not falsely represent these couplers as Micro-Trains couplers, so that is not a problem. I just fin it interesting that someone (probably in China) woudl go through the trouble of producing a coupler so close in design to MT coupler.  All the other N scale knuckle couplers differ quite a bit from the original MT design.  I suppose that this is a compliment for the MT coupler if it is being imitated so closely.

. . . 42 . . .

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1428
Re: Trainworx knuckle coupler
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 01:10:15 AM »
Interesting.  I went back and looked at my Thrall gons, and the couplers don't have the same finish as the MT 1015s I have.  The draft gear also isn't MT, but today that's not unusual, with many companies putting MT 1015's in their own draft gear.
N Kalanaga
Be well

christoph

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 10:20:31 AM »
I think we had this discussion some time ago, but I forgot where.  The copied stuff looked good and seemed an interesting kind of modification, but this would not help MTL a bit.

I understood that making an exact copy of the work of a master is an act of deep respect in China.  But this tradition is probably not based on the fact that the master must sell his stuff for a living...  :?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 10:30:58 AM by christoph »
Christoph

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4704
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 10:29:20 AM »
The patents on the MTL couplers have expired long ago.  One of the contractors in China has been offering this #1015 clone for at least a year now, and it has appeared on various models.  If the car appears to have MTL couplers and there is no gold foil MTL sticker on the box (which earns an additional discount on the couplers from MTL for the "advertising" so all manufacturers would do it), then they are the clones.

As to why this design would be copied — The MTL coupler is the de-facto N scale standard and, other than the spring oscillation issue, is still the most reliable coupler both in consist operation and automatic/delayed coupling/uncoupling operation.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 10:34:10 AM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

H Lee

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 01:01:57 PM »

Trainworx does not falsely represent these couplers as Micro-Trains couplers, so that is not a problem. I just fin it interesting that someone (probably in China) woudl go through the trouble of producing a coupler so close in design to MT coupler.  All the other N scale knuckle couplers differ quite a bit from the original MT design.  I suppose that this is a compliment for the MT coupler if it is being imitated so closely.

InterMountain and Fox Valley (and maybe other companies) are also using this coupler on their latest release freight cars with body mounts. The coupler appears to be a MT 1015 clone. Both companies also have stopped using the words 'Micro-Trains' in their announcements and no longer have the MT gold sticker on the plastic boxes.

It is strange/interesting that the unnamed/unknown manufacturer is playing it so low key.

Also strange/interesting that IMRC and FVM have made this change so quietly. But since it is a direct copy of MT's - they really can't advertise it as 'new and improved'......and somehow 'just the same as' or 'almost as good as' doesn't have much advertising punch.

The new trucks frames used on the cars with body mounts are also apparently being manufactured by this unknown company. The Fox Valley cars are using Fox Valley wheelsets - and IMRC is using their own metal wheelsets.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4704
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 08:08:14 PM »
The "manufacturer" isn't unknown.  It's the overseas contractor for the various products you mentioned.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 09:06:17 PM »
I wish we could talk Atlas into using these.   :trollface:
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5645
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 09:14:54 PM »
If you took a stock MT coupler and gave it a matte finish I'd call that improved.

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +500
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 10:44:05 AM »
My 85' flats have a coupler that is, to me at least, indistinguishable from the MT 1019 that comes on autoracks and 89' flats.  But there is no gold sticker on the trainworx cars.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5238
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 10:46:12 AM »
If you took a stock MT coupler and gave it a matte finish I'd call that improved.
The smooth and shiny finish is supposed to make coupling and uncoupling easier.  That is why you are supposed to leave couplers unpainted.
. . . 42 . . .

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1428
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 01:06:13 AM »
As Peteski says, the couplers are supposed to be as shiny. and slick, as possible, for best operation.  If MT changes anything, I'd like them to put a matte finish on the outside of the draft gear boxes.  It would make it much easier to paint them, without affecting the operations.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5645
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 03:12:56 AM »
When weathering a car I also paint and weather the couplers and they work just as well as they did before. One reason I wanted to get an air eraser was to dull the couplers before painting. I'd say the insides of the box and the inner parts of the split shank are all that need to be shiney. Hey while your at it dull the wheel faces and backsides as well.

Just me though...

Cory Rothlisberger

• Crew
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 09:23:40 AM »
I wish we could talk Atlas into using these.   :trollface:

Good luck...  8)

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 11:00:51 AM »
Good luck...  8)

Pretty please?   :P

Actually, I think the better idea would probably be ProtoMate's.    :o

Or tougher Accumates.  :scared:
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.