Author Topic: Position of Sand, Fuel and Water columns on a fueling pad?  (Read 1304 times)

Bart1701

• Crew
  • Respect: +142
Position of Sand, Fuel and Water columns on a fueling pad?
« on: August 19, 2012, 10:04:43 AM »
Since I have never fueled up a real diesel locomotive, I need some help with the positioning of items on my fueling pad.

The pad has tracks on each side of it, and is just a bit longer than an average locomotive. Locomotives could arrive "head first" or "tail first".

I have a Sanding Tower that has hoses that will accomodate a locomotive on either track. I also have one Stewart's Fueling column and one of their Water columns.

How should they be arranged from one end to the other end of the fuel pad? I assume that when a locomotive comes in for fueling that all activities should be able to be done with the engine in just one position?

Do I need more than what I already have (1 each - sanding tower, fuel column and water column)?

Locomotive fuel tank fillers should be in the center bottom of the locomotives, but where is the filler on an average diesel for the water and the sand? Are their locations fairly consistent, or do they vary wildly by locomotive and manufacturer?

Are the fuel and water columns able to swing from one track over to the other?

A lot of questions  - all because I have never fueled up an actual locomotive!

Thanks,
Bart

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +131
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
Re: Position of Sand, Fuel and Water columns on a fueling pad?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 07:06:12 PM »
I'm actually not entirely sure about the water - I think it's probably inside a body door somewhere since it's just for engine coolant. For older engines that had steam generators I believe there'd usually be a water tank and fill next to the fuel tank.

Sand is at each end of the locomotive. Look for the small fill hatches on the nose and the top of the rear of the engine. Sand fillers on old switchers like SW series could be located on the sides.

Addendum - the UP's DD40AX units show another alternate location for sand boxes. The boxy things along the walkway handrails above the trucks are the rear sandboxes. Look closely and you can also see hatches on the nose for the front sandbox(es).
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=22000
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 07:09:27 PM by cv_acr »