Author Topic: Thursday Proto Photo, Oct 22/09  (Read 1448 times)

Lenny53

• Crew
  • Respect: +1672
Thursday Proto Photo, Oct 22/09
« on: October 22, 2009, 05:48:01 AM »

David Leonard

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: Thursday Proto Photo, Oct 22/09
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 09:10:04 AM »
It's funny the things you notice when you study photos for modeling purposes. Note how on the noses of the long hoods of both units only the waist high grabs are painted white.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +6374
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 09:22:02 AM »
I like the subtle way the dynamic brake is plated over...  and that Conrail Pattern Rustness!  I love those old soldiers...
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +649
    • My train pics
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 09:28:38 AM »
Was in Olean, NY., last weekend chasing the WNYP. Snow in October, fall colors, and four big MLW six axles... in my world, it just doesn't get any better than that!

Crossing the Sinnemahoning Creek:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=301079

Battling NB up to Keating Summit... in a heavy snowfall:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=301066

Rolling south, flanked by wonderful PA fall color:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=301063

Cresting at Keating Summit, still snowing at this elevation:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=301062

Thanks for looking.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1640
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 10:36:28 AM »
Thos Alco's look great!
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

asciibaron

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
    • Steve's Happy Fun Time IntarWebs
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 12:39:42 PM »
i wanted to get up and get the Alcos in fall color - stupid flu.

nice stuff Mike.
Quote from: Chris333
How long will it be before they show us how to add DCC to a tree?

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 04:15:55 PM »
Like most folks, I have a wide variety of prototype and modeling interests....ie. whatever happens to be in front of me at the moment. Maybe I have a poor attention span or perhaps I am just open to new things (or maybe I am a waffler). Anyhow, here are a couple of shots from different parts of my life.

First off, from my collection, I bring you the Copper Range Railroad. This was the original CR by the way, but they added COPR later in life. This railroad was primarily a mining road that carried copper rock ("natural" elemental copper as opposed to a sulfide ore) from mines in the Keweenaw Peninsula to stamp mills on the shores of Lake Superior where the copper was liberated from the rock. The resulting stamped copper was brought back to smelters and refined into ingots. It also carried forest products and other general merchandise in an area with 200-300+ inches of snow each winter. Motive power in the diesel era were three Baldwin switchers, one of which I think is still operating in New Jersey. Headquarters for this line was in Houghton, Michigan, where I attended grad school for more years than my wife likes to remember. This region was served by the Copper Country Limited, a joint operation of the Milwaukee Road and the Soo Line that operated from Chicago to Calumet, Michigan. There is a great Copper Range web site that was produced by the late Kevin Musser (http://www.copperrange.org/).

Here is COPR 101 on the turnable in Houghton in 1964, with a shiny new PS-1 boxcar. Photo by Rudy Maki.

One of my favorite photos showing COPR 101 hauling pulpwood in Milwaukee Road peek-a-boo gons near Toivola. Photo by Charlie Sincock circa 1972.

Now from a more recent period of my life. The Alaska Railroad passenger train from Anchorage to Seward along Turnagain Arm in 1995. The train is headed by a GP40-2 and has a former E-8B power car for electrical power. The ARR actually has some HEP equipped GP40-2s, but not on this day. This is a great train ride and I highly recommend it to anyone visiting Alaska. Turnagain Arm has the second highest tidal range anywhere in the world at 30-35 feet on average.

Also from 1995, here is a shot of the Hurricane Turn, a whistlestop service that runs north of Anchorage and serves remote cabins along the tracks. This is also a great day trip, but they don't always run the RDC. This shot also highlights the crazy 5:30 am lighting in Anchorage during the summer months.

Hope you like these.
Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 05:20:19 PM »
Took these while waiting for the Conrail Special at Perryville, MD:

RDG_Rich

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 09:03:23 PM »
Yesterday, at Steamtown NHS.

Weather was great, just could have used less clouds.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6800
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 12:43:31 AM »
A handful of shots from last weekend's CRHS Express (unfortunately, my pictures from Enola Yard aren't worth publishing, because of the uncooperative weather):

Enjoy,
Dave

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +649
    • My train pics
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 11:52:01 PM »
Thos Alco's look great!

Sounded as good as they look... and they look great!

i wanted to get up and get the Alcos in fall color - stupid flu.

nice stuff Mike.

I think I'll be heading down there a few more times... I'm hooked. One thing I'd like to do is a trip in the dead of winter, it's my favorite time to shoot and I think they get some nice snow in PA in winter (I like what I've seen of their autumn snow). I'd like to get down there before February, but we have this usless new holiday in February called Family Day... think I may now have a use for it if I can't get back sooner! Those four shots are a few what I took during my seven hours chasing the Driftwood Turn on the Saturday, and spent about five on the Hornell Turn the next day, albeit with but a pair of the big beauties. I was a lone foamer on the DFT, but was one of five cars chasing the OL-1 on Sunday... nice!