Author Topic: PRR Prototype for Everything  (Read 4578 times)

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +9161
PRR Prototype for Everything
« on: June 04, 2009, 08:41:42 PM »
The PRR-style stone bridge on my layout was inspired by many such bridges on the real Pennsy Middle Division.  I had a nice color shot in the book Lewistown and the Pennsylvania Railroad that showed an I1s 2-10-0 crossing the 8-arch, 4 track Granville bridge over the Juniata River just below Lewistown, PA, that was my inspiration for coloring my own bridge.  I couldn't really see the south (railroad west) abutment of the bridge, but just figured the bridge crossed the river and nothing else.

In order to fit the stone bridge into the MR (Lou Sassi) inspired trackplan, I had to have it cross a road as well as the river.  I wasn't sure if this was prototypical, especially since I had the road make a sharp curve just before ducking under.  Now, to be fair, I've seen many, many PRR single-span stone arch bridges crossing a road at a sharp turn, some even with a creek alongside the road (think Northern Central branch between York and Hannover Jct, Atglen & Susquehanna branch along Pennsy Road in Lancaster, and the Middle Division itself near Spruce Creek), but I wasn't aware of a multi-span stone arch crossing a curved road and river at the same time.  But, I figured it wasn't that far out of the realm of possibility:

Well, last month chasing trains on the former Middle Division with Ed K and Sean McDonnell, we actually drove under the Granville Bridge.  Yep.  On a sharply curved road, no less:

Sorry about the lighting; the weather was crappy all day.  Blended in with the featureless sky is an Enola-bound intermodal train that snuck up on us, crossing both the road and the Juniata River.

So there is a prototype after all.  I love that feeling!

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2238
Re: PRR Prototype for Everything
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 10:25:06 PM »
I love that shot of your layout Dave , nice that you found prototypical support for it .

Richie Dost

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +6255
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 08:37:09 AM »
In 1980/81(?) I was at that very site with my friends John Lohr and Gary Smith.  We were in John's 74 Duster, (ironically, Conrail Blue with a white vinyl top).  There was a lot less foliage there, and as we came around that bend we caught a glimpse of a distant headlight.  We pulled onto that grass patch in the foreground, and scrambled up the embankment just in time to see a westbound Trailvan overtaking a drag of empty hoppers, and then an eastbound came up on us for a three way meet.  It was awesome, and inspired this little diorama, on which I used the same Atlas bridge kit you used, Dave....

My original Laurel Valley paint scheme... black car body, red ends, and a yellow band with black press type lettering!

I just sold that bridge on ebay about a year ago...  It was a very good bridge!

Lee
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 08:38:56 AM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 09:29:10 PM »
I like what you did there, Lee.  All too often I see modelers reaching for the black washes to pop out the mortar lines in stone work.  So you get light gray stone with black mortar.  That's not what I see on former Pennsy stonework.  I see dark brownish field stone with light, very pronounced mortar.  Yours is correct for that type of stonework, and looks very convincing.

I used Antique White as my mortar coast, applying it first to the whole bridge.  Then I drybrushed on a number of different shades of brown, earth, and dark gray.  Pennsylvania field stone seems more brown than gray to me.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 09:31:11 PM by Dave Vollmer »

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +3162
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 09:30:38 PM »
Dave .. you need to add some trees in that area .. especially near the river

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 09:32:48 PM »
Dave .. you need to add some trees in that area .. especially near the river

You know it...  I'm gonna drop a huge wad of cash on Supertrees one of these days!

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5622
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 09:44:12 PM »
That first pic is the *****!  Can't tell it is built on a door.

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 09:46:15 PM »
No, that first pic is bulls*** thanks to Mr Clone Brush in Paint Shop Pro 7.  The original clearly shows the layout fascia and the far wall of my old spare bedroom.

But thanks for falling for it!

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +803
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 10:03:54 PM »
Dave, all that is lacking on your bridge is the standard 2-pipe railing in the photo you took.

Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 10:06:56 PM »
Dave, all that is lacking on your bridge is the standard 2-pipe railing in the photo you took.

Yep, they're on my wish list.  I know Bernie makes them; I don't remember if you do too.

I'm holding off on them for the time being, though, because after I build my extension this summer/fall, the next major trauma will be a full c55 relay of the current layout.  It will be easier to lift and replace the c80 track without the railings in the way.

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 10:08:50 PM »
The original:

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5622
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 10:19:13 PM »
Still looks good, I don't see a repeat.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +6255
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 10:23:44 PM »
You won't believe how I did my bridge...  First off, I was about 17, and very... uh .... enthusiastic in my approach (like I am now, only even less patient to get results).  The only spray paint I could find in my garage was that black tar-like stuff you use to spray on a tree after you cut off a big limb.  It was messy as hell, but ended up having a reasonably good texture when if finally cured.  Then, being completely unaware of the beauty of acrylic paints and washes, I took drywall mud and smeared it all over the thing, and wiped off the excess with a damp rag.

Yes, I was very happy with the result, and yes, I was definitely going for that PRR Middle Division "look"...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

BOK

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 06:28:35 PM »
Dave:

Those pictures are great and it sure looks like adequate trees to me.

Having spent a bit of time on steam locomotives as an engineer pilot, I can remember looking out the cab window when we crossed bridges over creeks and rivers and thinking how inviting and refreshing the water looked on a hot summer day in a hot steam engine.

Your layout, small as it is, still captures the steam era nicely.

Barry 

keystonecrossings

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Middle Division Musings
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 07:17:52 PM »
Speaking of bridges... anyone wanna buy the Sherman's Creek Bridge?

Jerry Britton, PRRT&HS #6111
PRR Middle Division in HO Scale - http://jbritton.pennsyrr.com
Keystone Crossings - http://pennsyrr.com