Author Topic: Which is the Most Useful Technology  (Read 440 times)

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
Which is the Most Useful Technology
« on: September 30, 2024, 03:06:47 AM »
Not sure this is the right forum on here, but anyway....

For those going the high tech route with your hobby acquisitions, which machine gives you the most beneficial bang for your buck

Is it a 3D printer? If so why? How advanced a computer do you need to run the design software needed to use the printer effectively?

What about a laser cutter? Designs are 2D,  but is cutting out parts from various materials better than printing them from resin?

What about a craft cutter like a Criquit? What can a 3D printer or laser cutter do that a craft cutter cannot?

How about a CnC style machine? Milling, routing, etc... Or is this a fading thing thanks to new technologies like those above?

Maybe you have an idea I left out? Feel free to share. Looking forward to hearing the debate about how these technologies help us enjoy our hobby more, and become better modelers.
Peter Pfotenhauer

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3605
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Re: Which is the Most Useful Technology
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2024, 07:17:23 AM »
+4
All of these can help any aspect of our model railroading, but one must understand that each becomes a sub-hobby to the main hobby (and some even require sub-sub hobbies, such as learning CAD, or using line art software to load into the tool). All of these equal TIME that detracts from the main hobby.

Each is just another tool in the toolbox, none greater than another, per se, and each has their own capabilities, limitations and Achilles heel(s):

SLA printing: print supports always leave one side with defects, hazardous waste, chemical cleaning

PLA printing: layer lines and high support material waste (at least it is typically recyclable)

Laser cutting: 2D shapes and features only (until someone comes out with an inexpensive multi-axis laser head)

Craft cutting: difficult to achieve inside square corners

CNC: machine cost, again multi-axis capability is not cheap, and requires special programming, tool cost, knowledge of feeds and speeds, cutting tool maintenance

None of this commentary is to criticize any of them but to share that they are indeed useful hobbies of their own accord, but they all detract from MRR as much as they provide.

I.e. there is always a trade off.

rodsup9000

• Crew
  • Respect: +664
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2024, 11:56:41 AM »
+3
   One of my hobbies within the model railroad hobby, is building tools for the railroad hobby. This also takes time away from your railroad time.

When I started to get into 2D and 3D modeling, I started learning Sketchup. Since then, I have tried different CAD programs, but couldn't get my brain away form Sketchup. All the CAD programs I have tried (SolidWorks, AutoCad 2013, Fusion 360, FeeCAD), have steep learning curves. SolidWorks can be had for $20 for veterans. So far, I've been able to create about everything I've wanted in Sketchup. I pay $250 @ year for "Sketchup Pro" subscription.

I would have to guess that the 3D resin printers have the most uses for me over the other tools I have. The laser would be next.   If I were to get into scratchbuilding locomotives. The CNC router and mill would be used more for the main stuff and then 3D printed parts for details.

I scratchbuilt my first FDM printer almost 20 years ago.

About 10 years ago I built this CNC router. I also have a mini mill that I converted to CNC.

With all the structures I need for my railroad, I knew it would be cheaper to have a laser cutter/engraver. So about 2 and 1/2 years ago, I built this 100 watt laser.

The first thing I tell anybody that is interested in getting into the high tech stuff is, learn some CAD first. As I said earlier, all I have tried have steep learning curves.   If you know someone that has CAD experience, maybe have them produce the CAD file for you. 
Rodney

My Feather River Canyon in N-scale
http://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=31585.0

AlwaysSolutions

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2024, 01:50:22 PM »
+2
All good info here.  I've used all of the technologies over the years in my quest to find the ultimate tool.  This spans about 20 years, first with CNC, then craft cutter, then FDM printer, then resin printing, then laser.  Each one has a job it's best suited for.  Here are my impressions,

• Craft cutter vs Laser:  Laser wins - it can cut thicker materials and engrave.  I can't think of anything I cut with the laser that I wished I could use my craft cutter for.
  • Laser vs CNC: CNC wins - engraving depth is much deeper than a Laser, although a CNC is more complicated to produce results if doing tool changes.  And the CNC is messy with material chips/swarf flying.  A good vacuum setup can mitigate some of that.
  • CNC vs 3D Printer: 3D Printer wins - CNC still limits you to what is essentially a 2D product even though you have some Z axis relief.

That's a rather simplistic view, but for what I do in model railroading, that's my hot take.

The 3D printer can't do everything, but if it's bang for your buck you're after, a $250 resin printer is it for the model rr space (in my opinion.)  FDM printers have their place, too, but the resin ones provide the best overall use and value.

As far as how advanced a computer do you need to design?  I've been using budget laptops for years to do my designs.  Those worked.  I always felt held back, however.  I'd see videos on YouTube of designers flipping their models around with no delay, and these were rendered, not wire display mode.  After doing this stuff for fifteen years I finally decided to treat myself and bought a budget gaming laptop with a decent graphics card.  Changed my world.  I feel more productive now since the lag has gone away.  That was an 800 dollar investment.

I guess I should mention how often I use, or want to use, the various tools.  Craft cutter - since buying the laser I've never wanted to use it.  CNC - I occasionally want to use it, but not bad enough to do anything about it.  Haven't CNC'd anything in over ten years probably so the software and driver boards are dated.  Laser cutter and FDM printers - I use both about equally.  Resin printer - practically all the time.

Hope this info helps...

Cheers -Mike

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2404
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2024, 02:22:54 PM »
+2
FWIW...

3D resin printer all the way for me at this point. Don't use it a lot, but what I have done with it would be nigh-impossible any other way.

I've been eyeing getting an FDM printer for buildings and structural scenery (bridge abutments, tunnel portals). I have one structure project 90% finished where a friend used an FDM printer with STL files I provided, but getting the finish down - lots of sanding - has me wondering if I really ought to try again with a larger resin printer.

I've had a Silhouette vinyl cutter for several years which is mostly gathering dust. The intent was to cut styrene slabs for scratch-bulding rolling stock and buildings, but it wasn't dependable for even 0.010" sheets. So the most mileage on it is from cutting vinyl for sign lettering. A less-cheap vinyl cutter might work, but I can resin print most of what is on my mind at the moment.

No experience (or desire!) for CNC milling or laser. Bang-for-buck is on the low side for my particular modeling bent.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Note: Images linked in my postings are on an HTTP server, not HTTPS. Enable "mixed content" in your browser to view.

There are over 1000 images on this server. Not changing anytime soon.

turbowhiz

• Crew
  • https://n-possible.com
  • Respect: +250
    • N-Possible
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2024, 03:06:34 PM »
+5
I’ll re-enforce some previous commentary:

Unless you’re able and willing to learn CAD, you’re not going to find much utility in any of these technologies. Their power quite literally comes down to how well you can execute your ideas in some sort of design software (CAD). There are lots of choices, some more sophisticated, and some more basic. The learning curve is steep in the more sophisticated tools, but they’re massively more efficient once you learn them.  Some might find even the more basic tools problematic to learn.

If you know what you want to make, try drawing it up before you buy anything.