Author Topic: N scale steam hiawatha  (Read 2438 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5247
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: N scale steam hiawatha
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2024, 01:13:07 AM »
I read Ghq kit build thread above.
There's comparison between resin and pewter kits.

Oh ok, but that 4-6-4 is not the same locomotive as the FVM model, and the resin body used the pewter one as a master pattern, so it makes sense that the pewter is better.

Sounds like you aren't specifically looking for a 4-4-2 like the FVM model, but any locomotive which pulled the Hiawata train.
. . . 42 . . .

Dreyfusshudson

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2024, 01:23:05 AM »
Oh ok, but that 4-6-4 is not the same locomotive as the FVM model, and the resin body used the pewter one as a master pattern, so it makes sense that the pewter is better.

Sounds like you aren't specifically looking for a 4-4-2 like the FVM model, but any locomotive which pulled the Hiawata train.
Well, I want them both, but hard to find peeter kits and 4-4-2 loco.

kiwi_al

• Crew
  • Respect: +406

Dreyfusshudson

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2024, 01:40:22 AM »

kiwi_al

• Crew
  • Respect: +406
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2024, 05:27:53 AM »
my bad  :facepalm: I didn't read the blurb closely enough. I also remembered that Republic Locomotive works had Pewter GHQ kits but they were taken over by Monroe Models which has really nothing left of the vast stock that RLW had. I think you'll have to look at ebay alot or try some small hobby shops in places that aren't mainstream.

Cad5

• Respect: +23
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2024, 12:55:15 PM »
Pewter model is better than the FVM  model?  Why do you think that?  I'm not really familiar with the GHQ kit.  What did it use for the 4-4-2 mechanism?

the FVM loco and GHQ kit are two completely different classes of engine, the GHQ is a 4-6-4 Hudson rather than the fvm 4-4-2

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2024, 01:14:01 PM »
the FVM loco and GHQ kit are two completely different classes of engine, the GHQ is a 4-6-4 Hudson rather than the fvm 4-4-2
Well yes, I realized that after reading the build  thread.  The original post was not very clear on that (at least to me), so I assumed the GHQ kit was of a 4-4-2, just like the FVM model.

So in my later post I stated:
. . . 42 . . .

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +6409
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2024, 02:57:55 PM »
There's a guy on Facebook, Tim Timmins, who runs a page called "N Scale Live Auction" and he just posted photos from an estate clean out.  There's a complete Hiawatha set with the Atlantic, plus a set of add on cars.  He just posted the photos a couple days ago.

You have to join the page and wait until he posts the auction which will cover literally a hundred items or more, and then you end up sitting for hours with it droning on in the background, but he will take a proxy bid if you contact him in advance and let him know you're interested in it.  He's in Oregon, so the auctions start at 3 pm his time, and they can run for hours. (and hours).

For a hen's tooth like this though, it might be worth the effort.

Lee

« Last Edit: September 12, 2024, 03:00:29 PM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Dreyfusshudson

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2024, 05:49:19 PM »
There's a guy on Facebook, Tim Timmins, who runs a page called "N Scale Live Auction" and he just posted photos from an estate clean out.  There's a complete Hiawatha set with the Atlantic, plus a set of add on cars.  He just posted the photos a couple days ago.

Oh, I shouldbtry bid on here...
You have to join the page and wait until he posts the auction which will cover literally a hundred items or more, and then you end up sitting for hours with it droning on in the background, but he will take a proxy bid if you contact him in advance and let him know you're interested in it.  He's in Oregon, so the auctions start at 3 pm his time, and they can run for hours. (and hours).

For a hen's tooth like this though, it might be worth the effort.

Lee

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +6409
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2024, 06:07:41 PM »
He's running the auction right now.  Not sure if the Hiawatha is in this batch or not.  It just started a few minutes ago.

Go to the Facetoobs and hunt him down.  He's having some issues with his connections just now.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2024, 06:09:33 PM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

kscessandriver

• Crew
  • Respect: +55
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2024, 06:39:10 PM »
I snagged one in July on eBay, for the measly sum of $568. Didn't really need it, but I hadn't seen one that cheap in quite a while. I'm happy with the set. Also happened to find the Fox Valley PGE ex-Hiawatha cars a few weeks back.

Pizzaparty

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2024, 08:32:07 PM »
Would be to see these sets ran again. AFAIK they sold well, there’s gotta be some demand!

Or just wait for chessie system fan to make his. I’ll add to that ever growing hoarding I mean neat pile of things to work on

miyumiyuasano

• Respect: 0
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2024, 02:18:37 AM »
568$...but I even saw 800$ on ebay
« Last Edit: September 16, 2024, 02:32:12 AM by miyumiyuasano »

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +304
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2024, 08:05:59 PM »
Lee
I wonder how many estate sales this set will eventually pass through. "... beautiful set. Bought but never run."  :trollface:

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2024, 11:26:31 PM »
568$...but I even saw 800$ on ebay

Were those still active (unsold) listings or completed listings actually sold for those prices? Active listings don't reflect what people actually pay but what the seller over optimistically wants. Those might never sell for those prices.
. . . 42 . . .