Author Topic: Pennsy 40' PS-1s w/ circle keystone  (Read 1519 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8970
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Pennsy 40' PS-1s w/ circle keystone
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2024, 09:59:06 PM »
+1
I absolutely have to plug the RLHS again here. A recent edition of their Railway History magazine (#229) had a fascinating piece on the way the New Haven tried breaking the entire thing with car ownership.

It's my favorite publication: https://rlhs.org/WP/railroad-history-and-rlhs-bulletin/

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4699
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2024, 11:28:31 PM »
+4
I didn't have specific traffic documentation.  So I took the two dozen or so NH-related books I have, documented the freight makeup in all the photos and derived my roster composition from that.  I have the overall breakdown by road as well as breakdown by body type.  I try to stick closely to the numbers, so when a new piece of equipment is acquired, an old piece is retired.  My percentages are roughly this:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Pennsy had a significant freight equipment presence as well as passenger equipment, so I categorize PRR individually as with NH.  "Direct" refers to roads that NH directly interchanged with such as NYC, Erie, L&HR, CV, B&M, etc.  This also includes private companies such as Swift and Narragansett that had major plants on NH routes, as well as companies with NH ownership such as FGE.  "Indirect" refers to roads in close proximity that didn't interchange directly with NH but did with roads that interchanged with NH.  "Other" is all foreign equipment from roads outside of the region such as ATSF and UP, as well as the remaining private companies.  "Non-Revenue" consists mostly of cabooses.  Some categories get stretched a little, such as Stockcars where I should have only two cars in total but I have four.  I also tend to have at least one each of the N scale models that are of specific prototypes and specific roads and era-appropriate, such as InterMountain’s ATSF stockcar and Fox Valley’s MILW ribbed boxcar. But I stick to the percentages for the most part.

I have a similar chart for the Conrail 1980 era as well.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2024, 08:52:27 AM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +287
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2024, 07:09:23 AM »
Thanks for the NH freight chart. My previous layout was PRR-themed (1960's) so I still have a lot of Pennsy equipment lying around. Nice to know I can lump them in with the "home road" stuff. Lots of X29s for merchandise service, and now since they used the shadow keystone in '54, those cars just make my cut-off date on the NH.
I've added cars not just from nearby lines but also from faraway roads like the NP, MKT, IC, SP, ATSF, MILW, etc -- mostly 50' box since the NH didn'thave any -- to match the roads I've seen in pix of NH ops. Not a lot -- one of each road.

amato1969

• Crew
  • Respect: +889
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2024, 08:07:21 AM »
I've added cars not just from nearby lines but also from faraway roads like the NP, MKT, IC, SP, ATSF, MILW, etc -- mostly 50' box since the NH didn'thave any

So, not exactly...  The NH did own several series of 50-foot PS-1 boxcars:

https://sites.google.com/view/newhavenrailroad1959/new-haven-freight-cars

Frank

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1074
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2024, 08:40:23 AM »
+1
So, not exactly...  The NH did own several series of 50-foot PS-1 boxcars:

https://sites.google.com/view/newhavenrailroad1959/new-haven-freight-cars

Frank
Yes, but those NH 50' PS-1 cars  were purchased by New Haven in 1956 and later (I think, correct me if I am wrong), after the OP's cut off date of 1954.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4699
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2024, 08:41:07 AM »
+1
So, not exactly...  The NH did own several series of 50-foot PS-1 boxcars

Just two series of PS-1 50’ boxcars.  Fifteen double-door cars (new 1956) and six plug-door cushioned underframe cars (new 1965).
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net