Author Topic: Replacement Motor For Kato F7B  (Read 1578 times)

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +161
Replacement Motor For Kato F7B
« on: June 14, 2024, 11:17:45 AM »
While attempting to install a decoder in an old Atlas/Kato F7B, I noticed a crack in the nylon "steady bearing", for lack of a better word.  I tried to glue it back together but it totally came apart.  I searched online for a replacement motor but could not find one that has the same configuration.  Does anyone know where I can locate one of these?  If not, does anyone have one they would be willing to part with?

Doug

« Last Edit: June 15, 2024, 11:22:43 AM by BCR751 »

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1639
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Replacement Motor For Atlas/Kato F7B
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2024, 12:27:03 PM »
Can you post some dimensions including shaft length and diameter?  I have a frack ton of motors in dozens of sizes from my uncle's estate and I bet there's one in there that would fit your use case. Unfortunately none of them come with labels so I have to work off the dimensions.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

woodchip

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2024, 12:48:34 PM »
The saddle is still available.  Atlas pn 440103

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2024, 01:06:37 PM »
Thanks @woodchip.  However, this brings up another problem.....how to remove the flywheel.  I have small puller but it doesn't fit between the flywheel and the motor body.  Any suggestions as to how to get this off?

Doug

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1079
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2024, 01:27:37 PM »
I am confused by the "Atlas/Kato" designation.  As far as I know, all the F units were marketed direct by Kato.  Were they packaged differently in other places?  My 'eldest' is a Kato 176-051, which I think was the first edition of the Kato F-3, followed by several 176-2xx F7s.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1952
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2024, 01:31:47 PM »
The saddle is still available.  Atlas pn 440103

True, but the problem for many people is getting the flywheels off and then replacing them.   This requires a little bit of skill and some specialized tools.

Although they are skills all should try to acquire.   ;)

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

NorsemanJack

• Crew
  • Respect: +37
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2024, 02:32:55 PM »
+1
When was there an Atlas/Kato F7?

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +865
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2024, 02:40:01 PM »
Could the broken mount halves possibly be salvaged by gluing them into the corresponding slots in the frame halves, so that they still capture the motor when the frame halves are brought together?

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1961
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2024, 02:59:03 PM »
+2
When was there an Atlas/Kato F7?

Never.

-Mark

NorsemanJack

• Crew
  • Respect: +37
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2024, 03:25:23 PM »
Never.

-Mark

Thanks!!  We have it from the expert. 8)

woodchip

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2024, 03:31:14 PM »
+1
If it were me I’d order the Atlas part and then make a cut in it to see if it flexible enough to open up to fit onto the motor. My only other attempt would be to ACC the 2 pieces from the motor into the notches in the frame halves and see if that would work. I think the new Kato F units chassis fits the older shells so that’s always a solution.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5166
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2024, 03:55:43 PM »
+1
Never.

-Mark

The first loco Kato sold exclusively under the Kato USA name was GP38-2. All the Kato locos after that were also only sold under Kato's name.  The F-units came after GP38-2.
. . . 42 . . .

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5166
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2024, 03:59:06 PM »
+2
Could the broken mount halves possibly be salvaged by gluing them into the corresponding slots in the frame halves, so that they still capture the motor when the frame halves are brought together?

That is a good idea, but I suspect the type of plastic used in those is very difficult to glue.  I would suggest using soldering iron to carefully melt the pieces together.  I have done that for various hard-to-glue plastics.  Just have to be careful.

Since replacement donuts are available, I would buy one and cut it open on one side only. Install it on the motor, then heat-weld the cut. That way only one side is compromised.

EDIT:  If these aren't too expensive, but more than one so you can practice the melting procedure.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2024, 09:21:29 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

Jim Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2024, 08:14:46 PM »
+1
I have the same issue with the Atlas U25B...the saddle bracket just fell apart in pieces being very brittle. I have new brackets from Altas but have yet
to replace them.

Jim
Modelling the NH down under

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2024, 11:24:08 PM »
Regarding the Atlas/Kato business, this loco is one of the first ones made by Kato.  Years ago when I got it I asked some questions about it and was told at that time it was an Atlas/Kato unit.  Maybe it was called that due to the motor pieces being made by Atlas.  Hell, I don't know.  Given the dissing I've received by calling it Atlas/Kato, hence forth, it will be called just plain Kato.  I trust that will please everyone.

I'm going to order some of the saddle brackets (I think that's the correct term) and tryout some of the suggestions made here.  I don't have much faith in the "cut it and re-glue it" scenario but it's worth a try.  I'm also going to try modifying my wheel puller to make it fit between the motor body and the flywheel.  I'm also going to search for the complete motor with the saddle brackets installed.  That would be the preferred solution.

Doug