Author Topic: Mystery reefer  (Read 747 times)

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +295
Mystery reefer
« on: June 11, 2024, 07:57:48 PM »
I kitbashed and repainted and remodeled this car so much I have no idea who made it. A plastic kit, design with the underframe and long sides cast as one piece, and the roof/ends cast as another. (plus separate side ladders to attach -- strange, because all the end details were cast on). I used a bunch of these to make my own 50' REA reefers before MTL came out with them. The kits were originally painted with Milwaukee Road colors/logo. I looked on Spookshow's site but couldn't find ones like this. Who made them?

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1079
Re: Mystery reefer
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2024, 08:21:27 PM »
+2
I might be able to tell you, but I can't see the photo.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +615
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2024, 08:33:14 PM »
the underframe and long sides cast as one piece, and the roof/ends cast as another

That's an old Precision Masters kit.  I have a couple of them.
Aaron Bearden

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1413
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2024, 01:47:57 AM »
I can't see the pictures either, which is odd, because they usually show on my system.

And, when I viewed the source code, there were no image files showing there.  Weird.
N Kalanaga
Be well

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1079
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2024, 09:26:23 AM »
That's an old Precision Masters kit.  I have a couple of them.

Those must be very old Precision Masters kits.  The one I put together recently, that was sitting in my "to do" box for the past 30 years, went together like an Intermountain kit- basic body w/sides, separate ends, separate roof, separate underbody. One more hidden treasure to be on the lookout for. 

In any case, congratulations on solving his mystery for him, sight unseen.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1952
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2024, 10:48:33 AM »
If Spookshow does not have this kit (I haven't looked).... then take some good photos before you do anything with it and send them to him.

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5164
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2024, 01:48:26 PM »
+5
I can't see the pictures either, which is odd, because they usually show on my system.

And, when I viewed the source code, there were no image files showing there.  Weird.

That's because *NO* photos were posted in any of the messages so far.  Yes we assume that when someone wants something identified, they would post a photo, but some people have different way of thinking.
. . . 42 . . .

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1961
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2024, 02:16:52 PM »
+1
I kitbashed and repainted and remodeled this car so much I have no idea who made it. A plastic kit, design with the underframe and long sides cast as one piece, and the roof/ends cast as another. (plus separate side ladders to attach -- strange, because all the end details were cast on). I used a bunch of these to make my own 50' REA reefers before MTL came out with them. The kits were originally painted with Milwaukee Road colors/logo. I looked on Spookshow's site but couldn't find ones like this. Who made them?

They're there, but they're listed under "Red Cab / Precision" since they're probably better known as Red Caboose models.

-Mark

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +615
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2024, 05:04:53 PM »
Here's the link.  http://www.spookshow.net/freight/rc40steelreefer.html

As far as I know, this is the only car ever made with the ends and roof as a single piece, hence the easy identification.
Aaron Bearden

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +295
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2024, 05:19:03 PM »
+1
They're there, but they're listed under "Red Cab / Precision" since they're probably better known as Red Caboose models.

-Mark

Yeah, I looked at that selection but they somehow look different. Also, these cars came an assemble-it-yourself kit, but they aren't listed as such  on spookshow  if I select only "kit" instead of "assembled" for category. I didn't include a picture because the kit parts were unique among car kits with their "fitted glove" design, so I thought that'd be enough. But here ya go:

They must be PM versions. I used them for my PFE 50's because their height matched the real PFE car height.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1413
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2024, 01:51:59 AM »
+1
Peteski:  That makes sense!  I thought maybe something had corrupted the post before I opened it, and part of it had been lost.  I don't see how that could happen, short of human intervention, but stranger things have happened with computers.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8981
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2024, 07:29:04 AM »
+2
Be careful with mystery reefer: the nuns all warned me someone might've laced it with Angel Dust.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5164
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2024, 09:05:18 AM »
Be careful with mystery reefer: the nuns all warned me someone might've laced it with Angel Dust.

That was in the '60s.  Nowadays, it is laced with deadly Fentanyl.
. . . 42 . . .