Author Topic: Not Micro-Trains.com  (Read 4458 times)

gkoproske

• Crew
  • Respect: +16
Not Micro-Trains.com
« on: June 05, 2024, 07:34:22 PM »
The Micro-Trains.com website having been down for well nigh 2 weeks is, well, rather strange.  Having been a client server developer myself prior to retirement, whomever is contracted to update their website must not be very good at it.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +3220
Re: Not Micro-Trains.com
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2024, 07:50:08 PM »
+1

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1426
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2024, 01:48:07 AM »
+1
gkoproske:  I agree.  The last computer-related company I worked for (26 years) was in bank data processing, so no public websites, but we did offer online services to banks, and they were very unhappy if the online was down.  Systems, the programmers and datacomm folks, tested EVERYTHING on a separate computer, so that it was ready to install before the old program was taken down.
N Kalanaga
Be well

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4704
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2024, 02:23:20 AM »
Product updates are being posted on their Facebook page, including the June issue of Micro-News.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +3220
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2024, 06:00:16 AM »
+2
gkoproske:  I agree.  The last computer-related company I worked for (26 years) was in bank data processing, so no public websites, but we did offer online services to banks, and they were very unhappy if the online was down.  Systems, the programmers and datacomm folks, tested EVERYTHING on a separate computer, so that it was ready to install before the old program was taken down.

That’s computer ops 101. … where I worked we did dev on an isolated network, testing and staging on another isolated network with a copy of the data and interfaces. Nothing was moved to operational until testing was completed, inputs fuzzed, ports locked etc. private keys stored in cryptographic hardware methods.   All databases separated from exposure to the outside world and encrypted.   

But that’s expensive, and not every small biz can afford that.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +9008
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2024, 08:37:52 AM »
+1
That’s computer ops 101. … where I worked we did dev on an isolated network, testing and staging on another isolated network with a copy of the data and interfaces. Nothing was moved to operational until testing was completed, inputs fuzzed, ports locked etc. private keys stored in cryptographic hardware methods.   All databases separated from exposure to the outside world and encrypted.   

But that’s expensive, and not every small biz can afford that.

Bingo!

That's EXACTLY what my teams do.

But our clients pay for the privilege.

Knowing the budgets in the industry, I'm guessing MTL didn't hire a Deloitte Digital or Valtech. And honestly, they didn't need to.

Hopefully things will be back up soon.

And I actually mean this, @Gozer the Gozerian , if you need help sorting things out (vendor management or technical stuff) drop me a line. Unf***ing situations like this professionally is one of the reasons I'm able to afford your weathered releases  ;)

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4704
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2024, 09:23:47 AM »
+1
It's possible they developed on another server and had trouble porting over to the production server.
Or, the production site has crashed unexpectedly and they are either having trouble restoring it or are trying to rush an upgrade into place.
AFAIK they haven't given a reason as to why the website is down.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +110
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2024, 10:12:04 AM »
+1
Bingo!

That's EXACTLY what my teams do.

But our clients pay for the privilege.

Knowing the budgets in the industry, I'm guessing MTL didn't hire a Deloitte Digital or Valtech. And honestly, they didn't need to.

Hopefully things will be back up soon.

And I actually mean this, @Gozer the Gozerian , if you need help sorting things out (vendor management or technical stuff) drop me a line. Unf***ing situations like this professionally is one of the reasons I'm able to afford your weathered releases  ;)

QA'ed websites for years.  Highly doubt MT has a team of QAs.  Let alone a dedicated person to do it. 

Probably an unexpected issue beyond their control.
~ Matt

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +306
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2024, 12:40:29 PM »
+4
Lucky for us they are better at producing N scale rolling stock than they are at producing websites...I would rather have the rolling stock.
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1150
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2024, 02:28:51 PM »
+1
Lucky for us they are better at producing N scale rolling stock than they are at producing websites...I would rather have the rolling stock.

I like this... I just recently got a box car with their new "cored" roof walk. Between that, the lowered underframe and the etched brake platform it's a gorgeous model. Good to see Micro-trains stay among the top, and producing cars worthy of their printing!
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5221
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2024, 03:00:24 PM »
+2
Last time I needed to order something and the MTL website was down, I called them on the phone and placed my order with a very nice lady.  There is always that option. 541-535-1755
. . . 42 . . .

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1081
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2024, 03:54:40 PM »
+4
At some point, we'll probably find out who spilled coffee on the server during the upgrade....in the meanwhile, look at the bright side-

No doubt, the website outage will be commemorated with a limited edition gondola loaded with scrap computer parts.

And with luck, during the reconstruction of the website, someone will find the 5000 lost emails requesting a Combine.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +209
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2024, 06:56:04 PM »

No doubt, the website outage will be commemorated with a limited edition gondola loaded with scrap computer parts.

Maybe, even some of those air cans filled with "factory air" that are used to blow stuff out of keyboards !

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3508
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2024, 08:28:11 PM »
+2

@Gozer the Gozerian , run this up the production flagpole

freescopesdad

• Crew
  • Sacramento CA
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2024, 08:51:20 PM »
+4
Product updates are being posted on their Facebook page, including the June issue of Micro-News.

Unfortunately (or, fortunately) not everyone is an adherent of social media.
Ron
Owner of the Chicago, Blue Island & Northern Illinois Railroad