Author Topic: Not Micro-Trains.com  (Read 4457 times)

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1081
Re: Not Micro-Trains.com
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2024, 09:13:47 AM »
Hmmmm. [rant]....they have installed one of those REALLY ANNOYING popups that darkens and blurs the page, and comes up on every, single page you navigate to, promoting their mailing list.  I am already on the mailing list, thank you, have been since they installed their email server several decades ago.  So, with the pop ups it runs slower, and with being annoyed, I will no doubt spend less time on it.  One pop-up is all that is 'necessary'.  The rest are just annoying.[/rant].

Ok, ranting aside, I am glad to see the website back in business.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

Albert in N

• Crew
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2024, 10:33:13 AM »
 :?  Why would the Frisco 70 foot baggage car have truck mounted couplers with the center truck bolster so close to the end of the car?   This makes an unacceptable gap between it and the next car or motive power.

shark_jj

• Crew
  • Respect: +644
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2024, 10:48:09 AM »
Tom, there is a DONT SHOW AGAIN box in the bottom left corner of the popup.  That gets rid of it.
John

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2024, 11:42:40 AM »
+1
:?  Why would the Frisco 70 foot baggage car have truck mounted couplers with the center truck bolster so close to the end of the car?   This makes an unacceptable gap between it and the next car or motive power.

I think the answer is that MTL frequently uses incorrect graphics for passenger cars on their pre-order pages. The L&N cars show the same thing. We've seen this multiple times over the past years. I can't imagine that they have re-tooled to use truck mounted couplers.  But just to be sure.... @Gozer the Gozerian .
Tom D.

JoeD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1167
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2024, 12:28:35 PM »
+3

It was the base rendering that shows that.  It will be body mount just like the rest of them. Sorry for the confusion.

Joe
in my civvies here.  I only represent my grandmothers home made Mac and Cheese on Railwire.

bbunge

• Crew
  • Respect: +311
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2024, 01:41:05 PM »
Seeing the Aurora Borealis car makes me think there is an astronomy enthusiast in the design department at MT.   :-)

Might consider adding the date of the recent event.  For much of the country, they don't happen very often, about every 20 years.

Bob

trainforfun

• Crew
  • Respect: +93
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2024, 02:04:05 PM »
Since when MT offer cars in HO , I tought HO scale cars were done by Kadee since they splitted , was there a number of years they had to respect before they do HO ?
Thanks ,
Louis

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5221
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2024, 02:20:01 PM »
Since when MT offer cars in HO , I tought HO scale cars were done by Kadee since they splitted , was there a number of years they had to respect before they do HO ?

They don't really make H0 scale cars - just weather another manufacturers cars.  Just expanding their market.
It was announced earlier this year. See https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=57309.0
. . . 42 . . .

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +296
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2024, 07:41:13 PM »
Ahhhh ... a new website, a new look, a new set of expectations we (the poor consumer) now need  to conform to. It's what every new website version does, from the big guys like Comcast and Amazon to your local businesses who does online stuff. Out out out with what you knew how to work with and find what you wanted, in in in with confusion and deletions and things you have no idea why they did it that way. I guess the internet has taken that old standard concept of "things always change" and sped up the process so it cycles thru every couple of weeks instead of taking years and decades like it used to. So we wonder "where do I find this now?" or "what happened to the ___ feature/section?"   or "That part of the site has disappeared completely".
Ahhh, so MTL, whither the "Undecs" car section? Is it still around? Do you still even make undecs? It's nice you now make it prominently displayed we can buy nifty MTL T-shirts and visors, but undecs? Have they gone the way of rotary telephones?
Ahhh, progress ... I suppose the upheavals of websites is for the betterment of how the businesses run (and the profitability of the website designers and innovators), but I wonder if the guys who do these things ever ever have to use their new nifty websites to find things for themselves?
Again, MTL .... whither the Undecs?

NorsemanJack

• Crew
  • Respect: +39
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2024, 08:06:21 PM »
It was a JOKE.

I guess you didn't get it.

Doug

So the answer is "no?"

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3508
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2024, 08:16:38 PM »
+2
@OldEastRR , calm down.  The opening page says site is still under construction with pics and items, tabs missing.

And to answer your question, panning down the July releases, there is an undec boxcar listed.
https://micro-trains.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64&product_id=5260

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2024, 10:26:26 PM »
I assume they are working on the undec pages, since I had no problem finding those pages a few days ago.

In the meantime, I did it the "old" fashioned way, and put "undec" in the search field, and it came up with a page that included undec freight and passenger cars (there aren't many in stock at the moment) along with several loads and various parts that are also unpainted. 

The alternative MTL had to updating the site on their new ISP was to stick with the crashed website on the old ISP.  Under the circumstances, upgrading is a service to the consumer, since the other option was to NOT have a working website.
Tom D.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1426
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2024, 01:00:29 AM »
+2
Not really applicable here, but back when I was working in bank data processing, we had two conflicting views of "updates" at our company.

Sales felt that "If it works, change it, before the competition does".  They were dreadfully afraid that our customers (community banks, noted for their conservative attitudes toward change) would change processors if someone invented a new feature.

Systems and Operations (programmers and those who actually ran the computers) went with "If it works, leave it alone, until the customer asks for a change."  The customers usually didn't ask, until the big banks had proven that the change a) worked and b) attracted customers.

The only changes we regularly made were to keep up with laws and regulations, and those changes HAD to be made.
N Kalanaga
Be well

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2024, 08:27:57 PM »
OK, I'll give a break on the "we're still fixing it" excuse, but under "New Releases" is everything they released that they still have in stock at the factory. Like stuff that came out in May, listed under "new releases".
Other than that, if one is up on all the little tricks and inside moves about how to get info out of site that doesn't easily present it, I suppose that everything is fine.
Oops, it's that "old man" attitude again, thinking that "new" means "new" like it's old definition. How old-fashioned!!!

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2024, 06:17:09 PM »
Again, there are no undecs on the MTL site. Not listed in the menu, nor comes up when type in search "Undecs". So again I ask -- has MTL dropped undec cars for sale? (Unless there's some other back door way to finding them on site).

Not complaining, just want answers. Somebody must have them.