Author Topic: Weekend Update 6/2/24  (Read 3807 times)

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1415
Re: Weekend Update 6/2/24
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2024, 02:14:14 AM »
True, but if we ever decide to build industries on the Moon, it will be a lot cheaper to get the silicon there than to haul it up from Florida!

Actually, I'd have been very surprised if the Moon didn't have quite a bit of silicon.  It's a common constituent of non-metallic asteroids, so should be present on the Moon, Mars, Venus, Mercury, etc.  They're all made out of basically the same stuff as Earth.
N Kalanaga
Be well

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +295
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2024, 08:53:51 AM »
The layout is located in Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry and recreates a trip from Chicago to Seattle. Features a full sized HO Sears Tower--no selective compression.
Wow! Is this replacing the big O scale layout they used to have? I think it was maintained by the ATSF(?).

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +803
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2024, 10:43:42 AM »
+1
True, but if we ever decide to build industries on the Moon, it will be a lot cheaper to get the silicon there than to haul it up from Florida!

Actually, I'd have been very surprised if the Moon didn't have quite a bit of silicon.  It's a common constituent of non-metallic asteroids, so should be present on the Moon, Mars, Venus, Mercury, etc.  They're all made out of basically the same stuff as Earth.

Also true, but you can’t call it Earth on Mars like we do here.  :trollface:
Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1771
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2024, 10:56:44 AM »
+17
Some scenery work on the 4th canal crossing, and some JFRTM! More pics in the layout thread

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +9184
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2024, 12:07:09 PM »
+17
I just had L5/S1 spinal fusion revision surgery 48 hours ago, so there won’t be a lot of new modeling from me for a little while. However, I did sneak down to the basement this morning for a little train therapy. I’m very grateful that I had the foresight to put in a lift out bridge to get into the layout cockpit.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5165
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2024, 12:12:53 PM »
If anyone has vector artwork for the steam version of the NEW HAVEN lettering or knows where I can find it, please let me know.  Thx.

Would http://www.railfonts.com/ have something close to what you're looking for?
. . . 42 . . .

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2024, 12:14:41 PM »
Well I posted about filling in the hardboard a while back and I used a DAP product called AlexFlex (flexible spackling) I have used it before, hard to find locally, ordered it. 2 coats and sanding and a few patches after that so now happy and painted it.

The other side of the new few block needed to be blended into the other double portal to staging yards. Current progress on both plus a before on the portal scene.

Looks great now. Hopefully no  cracks will develop after couple of years of  the hardboard aging.
. . . 42 . . .

GN63

• Crew
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2024, 01:36:30 PM »
+1
Hello Chicago,  Hello!

Not quite Chicago - this is the other end of the BN - my home town (or close to it) Seattle

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +552
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2024, 03:24:02 PM »
+5
Finished up installing an ESU decoder with speaker and a KA3 keep alive in my Athearn GP38-2; man ESU decoders are really the best available. The Keep Alive also evens out operation so much. I’ll share photos of that soon, as I’ve just ordered some stuff to take care of the headlights.

Just had the chance to run an ops session on what I’m calling the Carolina Foothills railway, an imagineered extension of the Piedmont and Northern in an effort to create a second link to Knoxville, TN, and justify to the courts why they should be allowed to connect the Spartanburg-Greenwood line with the Gastonia-Charlotte line. In reality the Southern was able to fight off this connection in the courts. In my imagineered version this line goes from Spartanburg up to Columbus, NC, just over the state line. There’s a small industrial park in Boiling Springs with a plastic packaging film manufacturer amongst other industries, and then up in Columbus (my layout) there’s a corrugate box plant and transloading logistics hub. Having already worked the box plant, CWRS GP38-2, an ex-SP unit, has pulled the transloading area and is preparing to assemble its outbound train and re-spot the transloader with the TTX boxcar and MTNW boxcar.

Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech

GimpLizard

• Crew
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2024, 06:12:36 PM »
+1
Wow! Is this replacing the big O scale layout they used to have? I think it was maintained by the ATSF(?).

Yes. The current HO layout - called "The Great Train Story" - was opened in November of 2002, after nearly a year of construction. It includes over 1,400 feet (Approx. 23 scale miles) of three-track mainline - along with "branch lines", sidings, etc. - running up to 34 trains simultaneously. Cost was in the range of $3.5 million.

The original O-scale layout was closed in May 2002 after 60 years in operation. By the end it was so worn out it was down to only a couple of working loops. Some of the buildings, rolling stock, and sections of scenery were auctioned off on that website we don't mention.

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +761
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2024, 07:08:12 PM »
$3.5 million???!!!!  :o :o :o

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +578
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2024, 07:23:39 PM »
+1
Yes. The current HO layout - called "The Great Train Story" - was opened in November of 2002, after nearly a year of construction. It includes over 1,400 feet (Approx. 23 scale miles) of three-track mainline - along with "branch lines", sidings, etc. - running up to 34 trains simultaneously. Cost was in the range of $3.5 million.

The original O-scale layout was closed in May 2002 after 60 years in operation. By the end it was so worn out it was down to only a couple of working loops. Some of the buildings, rolling stock, and sections of scenery were auctioned off on that website we don't mention.
Is there a ban on talking about other websites? I thought the only "restrictions" are on politics and religion in order to keep things civil and train related.
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2024, 07:32:55 PM »
+2
Is there a ban on talking about other websites? I thought the only "restrictions" are on politics and religion in order to keep things civil and train related.

There isn't.  Seems that some members here are conditioned by other, more restrictive forums. Some probably go back to the old A-forum where eBay was not to be mentioned.

eBay, eBay, eBay!

:D
. . . 42 . . .

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +9184
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2024, 07:39:42 PM »
+1
Yeah, never understood that. We can say eBay all day.

eBay.

Rasputen

• Crew
  • Respect: +295
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2024, 07:45:37 PM »
+8
I'm working on a Kato RDC which will be a lend/lease unit for my friend's NP based layout.  Besides a decoder and speaker, I want to improve the looks of the interior that you see through the windows:

I've milled off some of the raised areas and cut a few slots so that the wiring will be under the floor:

I'm working on the new floor which is .010 brass.  This will allow me to keep it slightly below the bottom of the windows.
I had to keep part of the original floor piece in the center as this holds the motor in.