Author Topic: Decoders for the Atlas N FA units  (Read 1501 times)

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +362
Re: Decoders for the Atlas N FA units
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2024, 11:50:01 PM »
I just got a new ESU gold equipped FB unit. Runs great, but it's barely audible. I recall reading somewhere (here?) about couple of fixes: one involving a minor modification and sealant, the other with specific programming instructions to make the sound fuller and louder.
Now I can't find either of these two threads...help please.
Otto

It's a short thread on the Groups IO N Scale mail list.

The volume settings is message https://groups.io/g/n-scale/message/97415 by Bruce McElhoe
Quote from: Bruce McElhoe
3) To address the low volume, I performed the following program changes on all three units:
   a) Program CV32 => 1 This allows access to CV's 255 and up. [Note: CV32 => 0 is for lighting function changes per Rule 17]
   b) Program CV 63 => up to 193 (max).
   c) Program CV259 => up to 192 (max).
After doing these program changes, I was very satisfied with the volume level for all three unit.  If fact, I ended up reducing both CV63 and CV259 down to 170 as I run these as a 3-unit setup.

Note that given a choice, I'd use JMRI rather than mess with CV31/CV32 (he missed CV31 and probably lucked out that it was already 1)

https://groups.io/g/n-scale/message/97411 - Atlas FA-1 and FB-1 Sound Issue by Mark Lynn

Quote from: Mark Lynn
I did not experience the contact issue on the FA's that I bought, but like yours, the volume on mine was almost unhearable without putting my head right next to the engine.

I tried the volume adjustments without much success so I decided to see what the speaker installation looked like.  The speaker and enclosure are in the fuel tank.  The enclosure fits very tightly in the fuel tank with the speaker firing downward.  I finally wrestled the enclosure out of the recess (there are no wires to pull out so you can use a fair amount of force and not be worried about yanking the whole thing to pieces) and seeing no sealant on the edges I pulled the speaker out of the enclosure and saw that it was attached by a thin double sided tape.  Hardly airtight, which is critical when dealing with speakers this small. 

This arrangement also had virtually no air chamber space to allow the wokka wokkas to make some sound.  After a little measuring and test fitting I decided I could put thin strips of .015 styrene on the inner corners of the enclosure to give some air space in between the face of the speaker and the enclosure.  After doing that, I applied a thin bead of epoxy around the edges of the enclosure and the speaker to seal the box.  I reinstalled the modified enclosure and speaker and hit F8.  It's now sitting here being annoyingly loud.  The sound file is really nice when you get it to where you can hear it.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2024, 11:54:40 PM by reinhardtjh »
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4704
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2024, 12:26:15 AM »
+1
what if I want a non-sound decoder to put in my FA-1?

Buy the Silver version.

I don't know why you're wasting everyone's time on this.  The FA/FB is only offered decoder-equipped.  No sound = Silver.  Sound = Gold.  In both cases, ESU LokSound or LokPilot is factory-installed.  You can set the address via conventional methods and do not need the LokProgrammer to do so.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1963
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2024, 03:58:21 AM »
+1
The FA/FB is only offered decoder-equipped.  No sound = Silver.  Sound = Gold. 

I have a Silver FB-1. It comes with a dummy plug, not a decoder (although it does have a speaker in the fuel tank). The plug has 18 pins (IE, Next18 and not E24).

-Mark
« Last Edit: June 03, 2024, 06:15:21 AM by spookshow »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5221
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2024, 08:38:55 AM »
It's hard for me to tell from the picture, but the text says Next18.  But I thought other places had said e24 so I don't know.

Yes, the connector cannot be easily seen with the Kapton tape.  I wish Mark would post higher resolution photos so we could "zoom-in" to see the details.  I think that the gap between the decoder and the light board might indicate Next18 connector. E24 connector is not as high as Next18, so the decoder would sit close to the light-board.

EDIT: I should have read to  the end of the thread before replying.  Mark just posted photos confirming Next18.  MAybe he'll add those photos to his review.  There is no such thing as too many detail photos.  :D

I'm not sure I like how the light-board is bowed over the motor (and the motor/speaker contacts). That could be problematic by causing intermittent contact.

I'm surprised that on this loco they use a redesigned flat metal leaf springs for power pickup at the trucks (modified old-school method) when they seemed to be on a wired-trucks kicks with their recently redesigned model chassis'.  They seem to be waffling in the design, or maybe they did realize that the wire-free design is better after all.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2024, 08:43:27 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1963
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2024, 09:10:47 AM »
+4

Maybe he'll add those photos to his review.  There is no such thing as too many detail photos.  :D

If people would just take me at my word there wouldn't be any need for in-depth detail photos at all :D

-Mark

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +362
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2024, 09:20:48 AM »
I'm not sure I like how the light-board is bowed over the motor (and the motor/speaker contacts). That could be problematic by causing intermittent contact.

One of the posts in the N-Scale thread on Groups IO that I mentioned said that exact thing - they had intermittent problems and pressed down on the board and it helped.

https://groups.io/g/n-scale/message/97415
Quote from: Bruce McElhoe
1) One flaky FA unit had an upward bow in the circuit board. If I put light downward pressure on the board above where the speaker wire brushes touched the sound worked.  And when I applied some upward pressure at the back (rear) of the board the sound worked. So, I just made a small wedge from a wood toothpick and slide it between the end of the board and the frame.  The sound now works although low volume.

I'm surprised that on this loco they use a redesigned flat metal leaf springs for power pickup at the trucks (modified old-school method) when they seemed to be on a wired-trucks kicks with their recently redesigned model chassis'.  They seem to be waffling in the design, or maybe they did realize that the wire-free design is better after all.

I'm wondering if some of the changes are due to it being a full-bodied unit rather than the narrower hood types.  I think this is the first one for Atlas.  Might also explain using a Next18 decoder over the e24 Nano.  It's not a real big deal though I would prefer consistency in the decoder choice.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2024, 02:22:10 PM »
+1
If people would just take me at my word there wouldn't be any need for in-depth detail photos at all :D

-Mark

But more and a higher resolution (larger pixel dimensions) pictures is better than a 1000 words.  :P   

That is way I like to use photos 1024 or larger across when I post my model reviews, or describe my techniques on the forum.
. . . 42 . . .

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2024, 02:25:56 PM »
+1
I'm wondering if some of the changes are due to it being a full-bodied unit rather than the narrower hood types.  I think this is the first one for Atlas.  Might also explain using a Next18 decoder over the e24 Nano.  It's not a real big deal though I would prefer consistency in the decoder choice.

The previous version of this chassis used standard (Kato-style) pickup strips.  Now they shortened them and use retaining screws.   Seems like the Chinese designers are experimenting again to see if they can improve on the design.  Just speculating here.
. . . 42 . . .

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +296
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2024, 11:18:22 PM »
June 03, 2024, 11:18:22 PM - Hidden.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4704
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2024, 07:32:46 AM »

These were in development for a very long time. It’s conceivable that the pickup design was developed and implemented before the recent Atlas practice of hard-wire pickups.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1961
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2024, 01:31:36 AM »
It's a short thread on the Groups IO N Scale mail list.

The volume settings is message https://groups.io/g/n-scale/message/97415 by Bruce McElhoe
Note that given a choice, I'd use JMRI rather than mess with CV31/CV32 (he missed CV31 and probably lucked out that it was already 1)

https://groups.io/g/n-scale/message/97411 - Atlas FA-1 and FB-1 Sound Issue by Mark Lynn

Thank you very much!
Otto

amato1969

• Crew
  • Respect: +890
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2024, 10:50:23 AM »
I love how this guy is "right" on everything. A few years back I speculated here why nobody since LL made an FA1 in N scale, and this guy boldly stated that nobody needed to, there were uncounted LL units out there that would negate the need to ever make another version.

Not cool, man.  Mr Bussey certainly puts his money where his mouth is with ESM products and his knowledge of the industry in general.

Frank