Author Topic: Decoders for the Atlas N FA units  (Read 1500 times)

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +296
Decoders for the Atlas N FA units
« on: May 30, 2024, 03:07:51 AM »
Who makes them? Or is going to make them? Seems like nobody was prepared for this loco to come out.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2024, 05:08:13 AM by GaryHinshaw »

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4704
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Decoders for the Atlas N FA units
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2024, 08:57:00 AM »
What are you taking about?  All documentation states ESU decoders. I’m pretty sure it is stated on the box insert also.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2024, 10:24:23 PM »
OK, so these are plug in types? I never had those kind before. Is this what all DCC locos will have from now on?

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2024, 12:28:33 AM »
Either plug-in or drop-in, I didn't pay attention while swapping in the Life-Like bodyshells.  They run well and sound good.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2024, 12:41:28 AM »
Where can I find all the brands of decoders to fit the FA-1? Digitrax is one.

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2024, 01:38:42 AM »
What's wrong with the included ESU decoder?  I don't know that there is another brand that fits without modification.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +582
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2024, 02:20:20 AM »
Where can I find all the brands of decoders to fit the FA-1? Digitrax is one.
According to Spookshow.net, the new release Atlas FA1 is equipped with a board that has a Next18 plug. Multiple manufacturers produce decoders with the Next18 plug and SBS4DCC has a them listed here. https://sbs4dcc.com/shop-by-decoder-interface/nem662-next18/
As Bryan pointed out though, check the dimensions of the decoder to ensure that it would fit in the model.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2024, 02:24:00 AM by Jbub »
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2024, 12:09:30 PM »
I located a picture of the FA1 mechanism (w/o decoder) on a store website and it was very helpful. I can see that the factory board is not removed, and the decoder plugs into the underside of it near the rear. Now I thought I read somewhere that the Silver units come with a space for a speaker, but not a speaker. Is that correct? Where is the space?

drgw0579

• Crew
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2024, 12:30:53 PM »
The Silver version includes the speaker in the tank.  The SoundTraxx Next18 decoder is slightly longer than the ESU decoder and does not fit!

« Last Edit: June 01, 2024, 04:06:40 PM by drgw0579 »

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +362
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2024, 11:26:28 PM »
Now I thought I read somewhere that the Silver units come with a space for a speaker, but not a speaker. Is that correct? Where is the space?

So far, to date, all Atlas Silver units have included speakers so all you need to add is the decoder. 
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2024, 09:52:45 AM »
So we have a "standard" configuration for the FA-1 plug-in, yet not all mfgrs decoders of that "standard" will fit in the space provided for it. Hmmmm.. and what if I want a non-sound decoder to put in my FA-1?

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5221
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2024, 11:55:51 AM »
+1
So we have a "standard" configuration for the FA-1 plug-in, yet not all mfgrs decoders of that "standard" will fit in the space provided for it. Hmmmm.. and what if I want a non-sound decoder to put in my FA-1?

The DCC connectors (like 6-pin, Next18, E24, etc.) manufacturers use in their DC models are all compatible with all flavors of decoders (sound and non-sound).  You can just as easily install a non-sound decoder in a model with a Next18 connector and it will work silently.   Of course manufacturers that make DCC-ready models, also include a dummy plug in the DCC interface connector so the models will run on DC.

We don't really have a single standard every manufacturer always adheres to 100%, but they are all-plug-and-play if you purchase a decoder with a connector appropriate for the model you are converting to DCC.  As far as physical limitations (like a decoder too large to fit in the allotted space), that could be an issue with sound decoders if the model manufacturer did not consider all possibilities.  For example the Next18 standard physical size for a decoder has been modified over the years. Older standard allowed slightly larger board size, and it seems that Atlas did not allow for that. At least that is how I understand it.

But the non-sound decoders are usually physically smaller than the maximum allowed size, so  if you want to install a non-sound Next18 decoder, in this model, it will likely fit correctly.  But always first verify the size if it is compatible.

EDIT: Seems this thread has conflicting information.  If this loco has the ESU's E24 connector for installing the decoder, then up until very recently ESU was the only choice for a decoder (sound and non-sound), but it appears that Digitrax is releasing a decoder with the E24 connector. Still, if it was me, I would go for the ESU decoder (price is comparable).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2024, 07:36:52 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

Nick Lorusso

• Crew
  • Lets see what I'm modeling this week
  • Respect: +118
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2024, 03:38:27 PM »
On Spookshows page http://www.spookshow.net/loco/llalcof.html , they look like they will take the ESU Nano with the E24 connection.
Regards,
Nick Lorusso
https://sbhrs.wildapricot.org/

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1961
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2024, 05:36:21 PM »
I just got a new ESU gold equipped FB unit. Runs great, but it's barely audible. I recall reading somewhere (here?) about couple of fixes: one involving a minor modification and sealant, the other with specific programming instructions to make the sound fuller and louder.
Now I can't find either of these two threads...help please.
Otto

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +362
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2024, 11:16:42 PM »
On Spookshows page http://www.spookshow.net/loco/llalcof.html , they look like they will take the ESU Nano with the E24 connection.

It's hard for me to tell from the picture, but the text says Next18.  But I thought other places had said e24 so I don't know.

Although the chassis was modified to support DCC Sound, shells can be freely swapped between the old and new versions. The chassis was modified to accept a PC board up top (sandwiched between the chassis halves old school style). Contacts on the board receive current from the chassis halves. A Next18 DCC interface is provided on the back end of the board.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566