Author Topic: Minimum height clearance inches/scale feet -- N scale  (Read 1869 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5165
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Minimum height clearance inches/scale feet -- N scale
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2024, 09:09:55 AM »
Funny :lol: :D ... hey Peteski, you've got a few, just send me one of your extras.

If you feel that spending $20 on a digital caliper is a waste of money, I'll send you a check for $20 so you can buy your caliper.  PM me your mailing address.
. . . 42 . . .

djconway

• Crew
  • Respect: +73
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2024, 11:07:52 AM »
+3
The tools you buy/use to build your RR pay off every time you run one of your trains through an area on your layout.

Dwight in Toronto

• Crew
  • Respect: +342
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2024, 01:02:22 PM »
If you feel that spending $20 on a digital caliper is a waste of money, I'll send you a check for $20 so you can buy your caliper.  PM me your mailing address.

Hah!  Peteski, you helped convince me to buy calipers just a few days ago … might that generous offer be equally applicable to a Canadian refund/contribution! 

As an aside - I have indeed already used the instrument on several occasions, for a few different applications.  Useful indeed!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2024, 01:04:45 PM by Dwight in Toronto »

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2024, 02:45:17 PM »
Yes, Dwigth, you are one of the converts.  You have joined the caliper owners collective.  :)
My offer was for OldEastRR.
. . . 42 . . .

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +3199
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2024, 03:44:23 PM »
I love my calipers .. they come in handy for many projects ..

I have a good digital one, but also found one similar to this for use on the layout

https://www.jewelryandfindings.com/p-1293022-plastic-vernier-caliper-orangered-10-5x4-4x0-5cm.html

« Last Edit: May 30, 2024, 03:46:10 PM by John »

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +295
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2024, 10:13:42 PM »
Yes, Dwigth, you are one of the converts.  You have joined the caliper owners collective.  :)
My offer was for OldEastRR.
I was just kiddin', buddy. Obviously you're not familiar with working class Chicago humor. Thing is I am dialed way back on model railroading since my final layout (for real) is constructed sturdily, running well, and has 70% of the scenery done. I may buy a car here and there, possibly a loco, but it's craft scenery and buildings mostly from here to the end. Nothing precision-oriented.

It's based on the 1950's New Haven. Even though I was born and raised in the Midwest, I had a few visits to New England when younger and was commissioned by a friend to build an N-Track module with a NH flavor. It gave me a fascination for the railroad and its region that I finally (several of my layouts later) gave me the layout I have now. The NH was a pretty unique RR, even for the east coast.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2024, 12:01:31 AM »
I was just kiddin', buddy. Obviously you're not familiar with working class Chicago humor. Thing is I am dialed way back on model railroading since my final layout (for real) is constructed sturdily, running well, and has 70% of the scenery done. I may buy a car here and there, possibly a loco, but it's craft scenery and buildings mostly from here to the end. Nothing precision-oriented.

It's based on the 1950's New Haven. Even though I was born and raised in the Midwest, I had a few visits to New England when younger and was commissioned by a friend to build an N-Track module with a NH flavor. It gave me a fascination for the railroad and its region that I finally (several of my layouts later) gave me the layout I have now. The NH was a pretty unique RR, even for the east coast.

My offer was sort of tongue-in-cheek too, but I was willing to follow through if needed.  :)

And in typical  TRW fashion, going a bit OT, I remember you asking for photos of New England churches with tall steeples. Well, here is one of those. I drive by it couple of times a week.

. . . 42 . . .

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2024, 12:45:50 AM »
+5
Here's the one I made by modifying a Blair Line kit. The steeple is almost the highest thing in the (model) town. Only the big linen mill is taller.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2024, 09:01:10 AM »
Nice!
. . . 42 . . .

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2024, 01:15:27 PM »
If going the minimum, considering square tunnel portals or bridges vs those with arches will make a difference, too.  Don't ask how I know this.

spr1955

• Crew
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2024, 03:48:32 PM »
A little late here but I model 1955 and used a flyover in staging at 1.25 and had no issues over several years of operations, the track literally floated over the gap of the track below.
Dave P

GGNInNScale

• Crew
  • GGNinNScale
  • Respect: +92
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2024, 04:12:40 PM »
Clearances- yes go for the largest clearances that you can fit.  I set up a lot of portals and flyovers on the layout...  And, then I made and acquired a bunch of double stack containers.  They are cool!  BUT, the portals are all too low...  Sadly.  And rebuilding them is disheartening.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2024, 06:20:34 PM by GGNInNScale »

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +1027
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2024, 04:24:20 PM »
Here's the one I made by modifying a Blair Line kit. The steeple is almost the highest thing in the (model) town. Only the big linen mill is taller.
By the way, @OldEastRR  - I really like that message board detail.  It's one of those things that you never really think about that makes you realize  it's on just about every such church you've ever seen.

Also, that steeple changes the original kit from kind of awkward-looking to  in-spire-ing   :scared:

It does look like it needs a weathervane though.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2024, 04:26:05 PM by nickelplate759 »
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2024, 11:09:31 PM »
That picture was taken before I put a gold cross at the peak- just a cut-down piece of Gold Metal etched brass railing. It's even gold-colored!

I modified the bell tower  by not cutting out the slotted areas-- instructions have they're to be cut away to a large opening to see the bell inside. churches post-war seem to have put up slats instead and a loudspeaker system inside for bell sounds, christmas carols, wedding marches, etc. also put the kit on brick foundations, then from the extra wood built rear shed and a back door (which I still have to make steps for). I'm looking to have a small cemetery plot in its back yard. The announcement board came from a WS Chip's Ice House detail.

I have fastened the roof down, tho.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1413
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2024, 01:29:30 AM »
+3
GGNInNScale:  Prototypical!    Cascade Tunnel, on the GN/BN/BNSF, had ample clearances until double-stacks came along.  After running a few, BN started getting complaints about the top corner castings being damaged.  It took awhile, but they finally traced the problem to Cascade Tunnel.  It seems that the center was high enough, but the curved roof meant that the corners wouldn't clear.  They went through and notched the liner to clear the containers - barely.

I have no idea if they had to do this to any other tunnels, but it wouldn't be surprising.
N Kalanaga
Be well