Author Topic: Weekend Update 5/19/24  (Read 3780 times)

Sumner

• Crew
  • Respect: +613
    • My Home Pages....
Re: Weekend Update 5/19/24
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2024, 10:47:24 PM »
+14
HandCab WiFi Throttle – Part 9...

Ready for testing ......

Some small round discs of foam were cut out and put on the pot shafts below the brake and reverser handles. This puts a little drag on them and makes them feel better when operating them. They turned too freely without them. The throttle has the 9 detents and it works great with them giving 9 clear-cut stops.

So far love the feel of working the handles vs. the other throttles I have with only a knob. They don't run the real thing, at least from my time period with knobs.

My other throttles have the horn controlled with one of the red button switches. It works fine but again wanted a control somewhat like what you might find in a real cab. I don't have a ceiling above the throttle to hang a more conventional  pull type horn control but think the lever shown above will be a big improvement over the button switch.

One has the option of installing one or two batteries. I'm going with two like on my other throttles. Don't have to worry so much about how much charge is left in the battery. With two you need a battery selector switch. I also added two LED's to show which battery is being used or is charging. The LED's are very small 0402 LED's so hard to see the one that isn't lit above but it is there.

I'm done with the software to read the pots and to setup acceleration and braking momentum's. So far testing the software I love how the throttle controls feel. Way different than my other throttles that have an encoder knob. I've never been in a cab before but using the controls feel like I'm really controlling something vs. using a more conventional had throttle. You also have to pay more attention to what you are doing with the built in momentum.

So far all the testing has been with the throttle and watching the numbers on the computer screen go up and down as you run through the throttle notches and apply the brake and having to react to the built in momentum.

Peter is back from vacation and has committed to spending some time on this when he gets caught up with other projects so hopefully in the not too distant future his great WiTcontroller WiFi software will be modified to run with the pots and the throttle can be put into use with a real (N scale) loco.

To be Continued …...

For the whole build of this throttle go ( HERE )).

Sumner
Working in N Scale ---Modeling UP from late 40's to early 70's very loosely......

Under$8.00 Servo turnout Control --- 3D Printed Model RR Objects -- My Home Page

http://1fatgmc.com/RailRoad/RR Main/Link Page Menu.html

Dwight in Toronto

• Crew
  • Respect: +329
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2024, 08:06:28 AM »
+2
Regarding the photo of three of our TRW guys at Pensacola … Philip, I had an admiring chuckle at the remarkable resemblance between the real you and your avatar!

Just curious … when & how were all those caricatures done? 

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1630
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2024, 08:58:56 AM »
+5
Those were a surprise gift to many of us from @DKS several years ago. I use mine on all my train fora in gratitude for his friendship and mentorship. Plus it’s the best picture of me going at the moment.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1315
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2024, 08:59:32 AM »
+12
I tried to do some modeling this week. Working on some wire armature trees. Unfortunately my housemates thought that looked like way too much fun, so I had to stop.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5130
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2024, 01:33:27 PM »
+2
Those were a surprise gift to many of us from @DKS several years ago. I use mine on all my train fora in gratitude for his friendship and mentorship. Plus it’s the best picture of me going at the moment.

Yes, when our our very artistic DKS was still actively participating here, he created several caricatures of the TRW members.  My own avatar is also one of his creations.  See http://www.davidksmith.com/art/asshats.htm  I miss seeing DKS' wisdom and his superb modeling here.
. . . 42 . . .

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8960
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2024, 01:57:49 PM »
+1
I had the pleasure of meeting @u18b and @chessie system fan today at the Pensacola MRRC show. And as you might expect they are fabulous humans.

You lucky dogs!

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3500
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2024, 07:32:43 PM »
+15
Soldered up some of the east side structures’ lights on the LIRR IS.

Here is the light for the fork in the road, and the beach bath house streetlights.

Here is the substation all lit up.

Also powered up the aggregate yard light. Meanwhile, the basement window is casting a great backlight onto the waterfront waves!

Dwight in Toronto

• Crew
  • Respect: +329
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2024, 08:49:14 PM »
+1
Yes, when our our very artistic DKS was still actively participating here, he created several caricatures of the TRW members.  My own avatar is also one of his creations.  See http://www.davidksmith.com/art/asshats.htm  I miss seeing DKS' wisdom and his superb modeling here.

Thanks for filling me in.  The caricatures are wonderful - I’ve always admired how an artist can create an unmistakable likeness with a minimum of rendering.  Simply masterful.

In the two and a half years that I’ve been on TRW, I’ve come across numerous references to DKS, and quickly surmised that he was a talented, respected, valued and accomplished participant on the forum.  I also got the sense that he is genuinely missed.  I hope I’m not intruding or infringing in any way, and certainly mean no disrespect, but might I ask if anyone knows when and why he stopped contributing?

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1630
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2024, 09:34:25 AM »
@Dwight in Toronto he's been battling some long standing health issues.  I gather he lurks here form time to time, but he's had to back off physical modeling as his various challenges have progressed. 
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2248
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2024, 09:39:17 AM »
HandCab WiFi Throttle – Part 9...

Ready for testing ......

Sumner

Outstanding
« Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 09:44:03 AM by up1950s »

Richie Dost

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +641
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2024, 10:51:45 AM »
+11
A few weeks ago I got a deal on some HO Red Caboose flatcars. Since they have separate decks just like the Atlas Trainman ones do in N, I decided they’d be another good project for fun and (hopefully) profit. A quick order of scale lumber and I knocked this one out in a couple hours.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

The next ones probably won’t get the full-width decking like this one though. Cutting out the stake pockets is a pain, especially when going for consistency.

Still seems that flatcar decking is the only “modelling” I can bring myself to do. It’s better than nothing.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1180
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2024, 12:21:46 PM »
A few weeks ago I got a deal on some HO Red Caboose flatcars. Since they have separate decks just like the Atlas Trainman ones do in N, I decided they’d be another good project for fun and (hopefully) profit. A quick order of scale lumber and I knocked this one out in a couple hours.

(Attachment Link)

The next ones probably won’t get the full-width decking like this one though. Cutting out the stake pockets is a pain, especially when going for consistency.

Still seems that flatcar decking is the only “modelling” I can bring myself to do. It’s better than nothing.

You could probably zoom through a whole unit train of them if you get a good fence set up on a chopper.
-Al

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2711
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2024, 05:27:46 PM »
+8
This took a few mistakes, then drawing with pens on paper, then doing the hopper. Just need to patch and letter and number. Then fade and weather. I have some shorts on my YOUTUBE page for more. Remember I am an old white guy and not a young tagger. This is going to take some practice.

There is a great video at
/>
« Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 05:31:27 PM by chuck geiger »
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5130
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2024, 10:56:59 PM »
+3
This took a few mistakes, then drawing with pens on paper, then doing the hopper. Just need to patch and letter and number. Then fade and weather. I have some shorts on my YOUTUBE page for more. Remember I am an old white guy and not a young tagger. This is going to take some practice.

Your modeling/weathering work is usually outstanding, but the tags look a bit amateurish.
Maybe get a sheet of clear film decal paper and draw your tags on it until you're happy, then apply the best decal to  your car.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 10:59:13 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

pdx1955

• Crew
  • Respect: +407
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2024, 01:02:57 AM »
+4
Been working on creating a number of NP log bunk cars from junk box Lionel dump cars. Basic construction is completed before heading to the paint shop.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 01:09:18 AM by pdx1955 »
Peter

"No one ever died because of a bad question, but bad assumptions can kill"