Author Topic: Weekend Update 5/19/24  (Read 3786 times)

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
  • Respect: +1388
    • The Little Rock Line
Re: Weekend Update 5/19/24
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2024, 09:06:07 PM »
+12
I finally got around to building a couple of KCS White Ghosts.   :D

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=23915.msg797219;topicseen#msg797219

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3500
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2024, 10:36:56 PM »
+25
Finally received, painted and installed some line pole transformers, which allowed me to finish the west side power lines.

This unit powers the poles under the elevated track and the businesses and apartments north of the mainline.

This unit powers the enginehouse, aggregate biz.

This pole powers the large yard light.

This pole will also power the interchange tower.

Next I powered the main catenary with lines from the substation and added power from the substation to the line poles:

Before all that, I added the back roads on the east side of the channel that lead east to the extension, and south toward the scrap yard. Hard to see, but I also added a small streetlight for the beach house, and a large streetlight at the wye of the road.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4691
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2024, 01:47:00 AM »
+24
More EP4 progress.  Got the second set of chassis frames in and test fit the Kato motor assemblies and contact strips in the frames.  Also tested the fit of the new printed caddies for the LokPilot and the Powerkeeper.  Waiting on color-coordinated 36 AWG to arrive to start the decoder wiring.  I printed my own set of vintage Atlas-style spacers and huts, and picked up some longer M2 screws to accommodate the wider frame.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1409
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2024, 01:58:19 AM »
John:  What frequency is your overhead?  Most older Northeast electrifications were 25 Hz, which wouldn't be supplied by a commercial 60 Hz substation.  Or are you modeling today, with 60 Hz for the motors?
N Kalanaga
Be well

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2024, 06:48:06 AM »
+1
Finally received, painted and installed some line pole transformers, which allowed me to finish the west side power lines.
Will the wires get in the way of cleaning the track?

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2024, 06:59:51 AM »
+2
John:  What frequency is your overhead?  Most older Northeast electrifications were 25 Hz, which wouldn't be supplied by a commercial 60 Hz substation.  Or are you modeling today, with 60 Hz for the motors?

Dunno, it’s imaginary. I modeled this from black and white images of small substations of the period not knowing anything of the sort.

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2024, 09:16:15 AM »
+1
Will the wires get in the way of cleaning the track?

No everything is on magnets and all of the catenary can be removed as well as the substation.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1630
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2024, 12:57:43 PM »
+19
I had the pleasure of meeting @u18b and @chessie system fan today at the Pensacola MRRC show. And as you might expect they are fabulous humans.

Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1771
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2024, 05:28:52 PM »
+17
Almost ready for trains - and trees! More in the layout thread.

DirtyD79

• Crew
  • Respect: +148
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2024, 06:43:18 PM »
+1
No everything is on magnets and all of the catenary can be removed as well as the substation.

That's a very clever idea in case you need to get in and work on something. Also they've got some give if you've got one of those guys in your crew who talks with his hands and is going through the layout room like a human tornado spreading chaos and destruction in his wake.
And the door it opens is the way back in
Or is it the way back out?

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +6290
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2024, 08:20:19 PM »
+8
The lower yard is now configured, and the upper yard just needs a bit more work.

Just need to cut a few gaps and wire in some block control.
Upper yard needs to be extended with a runaround added to the A/D track.

Lee
« Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 08:27:00 PM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2024, 09:07:44 PM »
+1

That's a very clever idea in case you need to get in and work on something. Also they've got some give if you've got one of those guys in your crew who talks with his hands and is going through the layout room like a human tornado spreading chaos and destruction in his wake.

@DirtyD79 , thanks! Here is the thread of how I did the poles and the substation. All of the pole bases have 3mm x 1.5mm rare earth magnets and glazing points glued to the locations where the poles go. They do knok over easily, which is likely why I may never add Cat wires under them, but the magnets I used on the substation wires might solve that problem!

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +609
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2024, 09:54:30 PM »
+8
It was fabulous meeting Philip and his son in Pensacola today.  Many good deals came home with me at the show, but my best was a Kato Great Northern F7 A-B-A anolog set plus a Micro Trains baggage car for $75, though one F unit was dead.  So U18b and I got home and we plopped one of the F units on the layout, and EMD 567 noises came out.  :D  I still need to figure out what kind of sound decoder it has. Can anyone identify this?  There aren't any labels or markings on it.

The other units have plain DCC decoders, but one is dead.  So all in all, I'd say it's been an excellent day.
Aaron Bearden

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1287
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2024, 10:29:16 PM »
It was fabulous meeting Philip and his son in Pensacola today.  Many good deals came home with me at the show, but my best was a Kato Great Northern F7 A-B-A anolog set plus a Micro Trains baggage car for $75, though one F unit was dead.  So U18b and I got home and we plopped one of the F units on the layout, and EMD 567 noises came out.  :D  I still need to figure out what kind of sound decoder it has. Can anyone identify this?  There aren't any labels or markings on it.

The other units have plain DCC decoders, but one is dead.  So all in all, I'd say it's been an excellent day.

MRC # 1957. I used a similar version on an F40PH and yanked it because it has virtually no additional AUX connections and function mapping does not exist on MRC decoders.
FWIW, it looks like MRC has given up on their entire line of DCC and sound decoders.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away