Author Topic: LED headlight for old (DC) Kato SD45  (Read 934 times)

GGNInNScale

• Crew
  • GGNinNScale
  • Respect: +75
Re: LED headlight for old (DC) Kato SD45
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2024, 08:33:35 PM »
I use 0201 or 0402 LEDs- about 2-3 cents each or so from many suppliers on ebay.  You can pick your color, too.  Then, I get SMD resistors, 2.2kOhm or 1.5kOhm or 3.3kOhm, again on ebay.  Tin both contacts on the resistors and the LEDs.  Stick them down on a piece of wood with double sided tape.  Work fast with a small iron and fine diameter solder.  Then take the leads from the decoder, and tin the ends.  Next, put the resistor and LED touching each other.  Clean the soldering pen tip, add a bit of solder, then touch it to the joint where the two parts are touching.  This takes less than a second.  The joint is very strong.  Next, using a DVM with a diode tester, touch the outer contact of the SMD resistor with the BLACK test lead, and touch the open contact of the LED with the RED probe.  If the LED lights, the RED end gets the BLUE wire (positive) from the decoder, or the positive contact pad if you are soldering directly to the decoder.  If the LED does not light, just reverse the leads.  It should light, unless it got overheated (they are pretty rugged parts).  See the picture showing the connections.  I double up the wires (blue and teal) on the same positive pad on my decoders for simpler wiring.  Also, I have found that these LEDs just slip under the clear plastic lenses at both ends in Kato, Atlas, InterMountain and Arnold/Hornby diesels.  So, by leaving the leads a bit longer, I can slip the light assemblies under the lenses, then close up the shell.  Kind of "self-aligning".

« Last Edit: June 04, 2024, 08:36:51 PM by GGNInNScale »

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +1017
Re: LED headlight for old (DC) Kato SD45
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2024, 08:49:19 PM »
+1
You are correct. It can be in series if its reverse leakage current is less than the maximum reverse current of the LED (which is related to the reverse voltage). That diode will also reduce the voltage by 0.7V which in the great scheme of things is not all that much.

My favorite is example  A.  Minimal component count as each forward biased (illuminated) LED's voltage drop limits the reverse voltage (and current) of the dark  LED to  a safe level.

But the other examples are also perfectly safe to use.  In the above circuits (when used) D1 is that protection diode and C1 eliminates the sight flicker of the headlight on the opposite side of loco's travel..

I have an older pair of Kato CB&Q E-8s where the original light board has an LED and a resistor but no capacitor (new Kato's have the capacitor).  That "flicker-when-in-reverse" was super-annoying!   I converted them to DCC and the flicker is a thing of the past.
I converted them
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.