Author Topic: Dear Atlas...................  (Read 3966 times)

bigdawgks

• Crew
  • Respect: +186
Re: Dear Atlas...................
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2024, 01:06:55 AM »
DL-109s would be nice. Still haven't been able to add a decoder to mine cause there's no way without milling the frame, yet for Atlas there'd be plenty of room to add a nice big speaker.

nscaler711

• Crew
  • @frs_strelizia
  • Respect: +186
    • IG
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2024, 05:55:50 AM »
+1
I've been waiting on the GP60's forever now, I know they dont look nearly as good as FVM, but being able to swap the sound mechs into the couple LLs I do have will make me happy. The GP60s are probably my favorite Geep and that's mostly due to that sultry 710 that's in them.  :drool: I am hoping the trucks can be swapped like the LL/Walthers and Atlas GP38s could so I won't have to worry about buying the ones with silver trucks.
It'll be a different story if they fit into the FVM shells though, I have 6 of them and only two actually run well together on DC and DCC. This is something I've never understood the SD70ACes and ES44s I've had all ran well together. If they do fit, I'll be eating Ramen for a while...
“If you have anything you wanna say, you better spit it out while you can. Because you’re all going to die sooner or later." - Zero Two

Lenny53

• Crew
  • Respect: +1655
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2024, 06:10:02 AM »
C-424/425 too.

Are they ex-Walthers or True Line Trains?

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +588
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2024, 09:23:11 AM »
Are they ex-Walthers or True Line Trains?

Atlas Acquires True Line Trains Molds

Hillside, NJ – Atlas Model Railroad Company, Inc. is proud to announce that it has purchased certain molds and tooling from True Line Trains of Ontario, Canada.

Models in this acquisition include in HO scale the C-Liner and RS18 Locomotives, the Slab Side Covered Hopper, the 50' Newsprint Freight Car, the Fowler Stock Car, the Bulkhead Flat Car, the CN/CP Caboose and the 40' AAR Box Car. In N scale, Atlas has acquired the C424 and GP9 Locomotives.

"True Line Trains made some great models over the years that we are excited to now produce under the Atlas name," said Paul Graf, CEO of Atlas. "They will fit right in with the other high quality model railroad products we make in HO & N scale."

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=50773.msg685640#msg685640

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +989
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2024, 09:50:41 AM »
As I Recall, (At least on the N scale side)

The C424 started as a Canadian project later followed by the Chop Nose GP9R
At the time this was done by/for Hobbytime?.. The Canadian arm of Life Like.

The C424 received future runs under the Life Like Brand in US Schemes..

And I think the RS18 was in the works when True Line Trains took over for Hobbytime?

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1072
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2024, 10:12:28 AM »
Atlas also bought the True Line Trains tooling, so they also have that tooling, even if it is distinct from Life Like/Walthers.

https://www.trains.com/mrr/news-reviews/news/atlas-acquires-ho-n-tooling-from-true-line-trains/
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1143
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2024, 12:15:04 PM »
+1

And I think the RS18 was in the works when True Line Trains took over for Hobbytime?

Hobbycraft Canada, they were a hobby shop level distributor. They also releases stuff under the Life-like Canada brand, and a number of other releases from other manufacturers over the years (mdc, Atlas)
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5130
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2024, 12:34:17 PM »
Hobbycraft Canada, they were a hobby shop level distributor. They also releases stuff under the Life-like Canada brand, and a number of other releases from other manufacturers over the years (mdc, Atlas)

Yes, I don't believe they had a separate set of molds for these models.  They were the models sold by Life-Like.
. . . 42 . . .

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +649
    • My train pics
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2024, 12:47:10 PM »
+1

If it started as a Canadian project for an MLW C-424, it went full ALCO C-424. I was able to restrain by stupider tendencies with the C-424 and only picked up a few as they weren't anything like a Canadian unit, then sold a few of those that I had. The only MLW unit they may have represented was CP 8300 (later re# 4200), which was the first Century locomotive produced by either builder... as delivered it had radiators that overhang the carbody at the rear and was to my knowledge the only MLW built C-424 with that feature. All other CP C-424's were delivered with radiators that matched the rear contour of the hood, which was rounded and met the roofline at a simple 90deg seam. And he 8300/4200 was rebuilt by CP to match the rest of the fleet in appearance, including the nose mounted headlight and the radiator rear.

CN's C-424's were delivered with the ALCO type notches.

Remarkably the Hobbycarft 'Canadian' C-424 matched neither  :facepalm:

I found this irritating.

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +730
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2024, 02:04:51 PM »
+4
Keep doing what you are doing, just do it faster and more often.  :D
Peter Pfotenhauer

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1143
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2024, 04:51:27 PM »
+2
Keep doing what you are doing, just do it faster and more often.  :D
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

Doug G.

• Crew
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2024, 05:14:38 PM »
Um, see the smiley in my post? I guess it doesn't mean anything, anymore.

Doug
Atlas First Generation Motive Power and Treble-O-Lectric. Click on the link:
www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g/a1glocos/

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5130
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2024, 10:59:44 PM »
Um, see the smiley in my post? I guess it doesn't mean anything, anymore.

Doug

I did see the grinning smiley, but it didn't click.  Maybe because it wasn't at the end of the sentence, but few lines down.  I'm glad we agree on the chassis design.
. . . 42 . . .

mkearns

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2024, 06:45:07 PM »
+1
Does anyone have any inside scoop on the Atlas U23B? I'm pretty new to the scene and I didn't quite understand the whole pre-order thing at first. I "bought" a Chessie U23B a year and a half ago and then only later learned more about how it really works. I see Atlas' production schedule has just kinda given up with a "TBA", whereas most of the other stuff seems to get bumped from quarter to quarter.

The GP40-2's were in a similar TBA situation and I see that they were just updated to a transit date of April 5, so maybe there is hope yet.

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +962
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2024, 08:49:29 AM »
+4
I totally agree.... except the new drive for sound adds a deal breaking variable.   When you cut away more metal for the larger sound decoders and the speaker, the metal is getting awfully thin in some smaller locos.   The Trainmaster- not much of a problem.   But my own opinion is that the new GP7/9s are better when sound is factored in.

This.

Whether we like it or not, sound is the future.  Atlas is addressing the tradeoffs of chassis design vs. space for a sound decoder and decent speaker.  Sound decoders might continue to get smaller as electronics miniaturization continues (I expect they will), but physics dictates that speakers need to be as large as possible.  So re-designing mechanisms to provide excellent running while still maximizing room for sound installations makes perfect sense.   And should be applauded, IMHO.

Honestly, why would anyone WANT some of the old LL stuff?  Yes, the LL Berk was well-detailed and smooth running.  But it can't pull more than 8 cars on level track and requires a PhD in electrical engineering to add DCC to.  The LL GP18 mechanism was fine, but the shell (particularly handrails) was crude even for its time.  The original PA-1 was plastic with huge lead weights, and the revision never got body details correct for the various roadnames.  The second run of the 0-8-0 was very nice, but that tooling apparently is "lost in China". 

I'm sympathetic to those that want/need certain models, like the Erie-built; I'd pay a LOT for an FM H10 or H12 switcher in NKP paint (heck, I'd pay a lot for one in ANY paint and just repaint it if needed).  But I don't have any interest in the old Trix model.  It's 2024; manufacturers should produce stuff that is cutting edge for today, not 20 years ago.

John C.