Author Topic: New Bluford Shops "Dented" Gondolas  (Read 7882 times)

Bluford Craig

• Crew
  • Respect: +128
Re: New Bluford Shops "Dented" Gondolas
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2024, 11:31:25 AM »
@Bluford Craig  Did the PM cars get painted over in C&O anytime early?  I'm looking at no later than 1950 or '51.
The PM cars were a bit strange when it came to repainting. I know of some PM boxcars repainted into C&O colors as early as 1949. On the other hand, we have shots of PM gons repainted in PM colors in 1952 - 5 years AFTER the merger. Sometimes this occurs to comply with a lettering clause in the lease agreement. This may explain why we've never seen one of these gons repainted into C&O colors prior to about 1953. They may have been out there, but I haven't seen one. Research continues...
Craig
Bluford Shops

Bluford Craig

• Crew
  • Respect: +128
« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2024, 11:33:49 AM »
Because with my current bifocal prescription I can still see the panels.

A B&O O-27 has 13 panels (2 less) and is only 46' ID, with straight sides (and fishbelly centerbeam) and was built 20 years earlier than the first Erie Greenvilles (52'6" ID, 15 panels, fishbelly sides), and originally had different ends (although ends did get replaced over the years, no doubt). 

Which leads me to think that you probably meant some other class of gondolas on the B&O- perhaps an O-59 (done by tangent in HO) from the late 1930s- which would be the same length, and has much the same overall 'look'.
https://www.pwrs.ca/view_product.php?ProductID=316389
Yeah, the 52'6" 14-Panel version is on our to-do list.
Craig
Bluford Shops

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1089
« Reply #92 on: October 22, 2024, 11:43:13 AM »
These are from a different batch of L&N gons built around the same time. The rib profiles are a bit different but the CSX lettering layout should be about the same.
Craig
Bluford Shops

Craig, the reason I have more Bluford hoppers than all other brands combined is that you are even pickier about this stuff than I am.
Keep up the good work!
Yeah, the 52'6" 14-Panel version is on our to-do list.
Craig
Bluford Shops
I see you are keeping up the good work.  A 14-panel 52'6" version will probably mean I will end up with more Bluford gondolas than all other brands combined, in addition to the hoppers.  I need to find an alternative to eBay for all the old gons in my collection...
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.