Author Topic: Looks like we now have N scale full-color 3D printed figure from Noch  (Read 3466 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5221
    • Coming (not so) soon...
UPDATE:  I was finally able to finish the review of those figures.  Here is direct link to that post:
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=57748.msg802423#msg802423

Just got an update from DM-Toys and Noch (which is a long established model manufacturer) is now producing 3D printed figures using the full color printing process mentioned here some time ago. Pretty impressive stuff if you ask me. But even without the humans needed to manually paint the figures (read: labor cost)  the price of the figures has not come down.

The results look pretty darn impressive! Shiny happy people!  The only improvement would be to give them a shot of Dullcote.   Here is a write-up from the DM-Toys page:

The NOCH 3D Master figures are 3D printed in color! With this fantastic technology, even the smallest details become visible. Whether checked shirts, striped blouses or color gradations and gradients, full-color 3D printing makes it possible.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2024, 05:09:43 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2391
Re: Looks like we now have N scale full-color 3D printed figure from Noch
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2024, 09:52:36 AM »
+3
Amazing!

The only improvement would be to give them a shot of Dullcote.

Or maybe a shot of InterestingCote or HappyCote.  :P
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Note: Images linked in my postings are on an HTTP server, not HTTPS. Enable "mixed content" in your browser to view.

There are over 1000 images on this server. Not changing anytime soon.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5641
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2024, 12:21:22 PM »
+1
Those look better than anything I've seen before.

Englewood

• Crew
  • Respect: +286
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2024, 01:53:57 PM »
Wow! Very nice looking.  :o

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2205
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2024, 02:28:07 PM »
I'm really skeptical that you're looking at the N scale product.   I can be convinced, but the Woodland Scenics stuff looks equally impressive.... in HO scale photos!

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1952
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2024, 04:14:43 PM »
I tend to agree.  Painted eyebrows are probably HO or O scale.

But they still look great.
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2024, 04:53:12 PM »
+1
You guys could be right. It wouldn't br the first time a manufacturer used H0 stand-in photos for N scale.
I will be placing an order with DM-Toys soon. I'll see if I can grab one N scale set of these to see them in-person.
. . . 42 . . .

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5641
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2024, 05:03:00 PM »
Painted eyebrows are printed eyebrows, as are the shadows. I still wonder though how big they are. Most 3D printing in color looks frosty.

EJN

• Crew
  • Respect: +233
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2024, 06:28:29 PM »
+1
Shiny happy people!  The only improvement would be to give them a shot of Dullcote.

Sorry cannot resist...

« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 12:30:42 AM by EJN »

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2024, 11:32:31 PM »
Sorry cannot resist...
I fully expected this. I chose that phrase with that in mind.  :D
Thank you!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 11:36:14 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1461
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2024, 05:28:16 AM »
That's pretty amazing if the photos are indeed N-scale.  With the 3D full-color printing technology available now, it COULD be....definitely.  I'm especially impressed with the eyes, eyebrows, glasses, lips, mustaches, beards, different skin tones, and the realistic color of the skin on all of them...not that washed out, nearly white "flesh" color that so often gets applied when painted.

Also, I like the subtle color differences between their clothes and the sharp delineations between colors, like their hair (with sideburns, bangs etc.) against the skin tone of their faces, hats with insignias on them, buckles, gloves...just excellent...even for HO.

Maybe I'll have to order up a set too...just to see what's up with it...

Yup, technology can definitely be a good thing!

As for the price not going down because of the elimination of the workers who paint the figures...ya gotta pay the workers who now do the 3D models, or the full-body scanner, and pay for the equipment itself...which is pretty outrageously expensive at this early stage of the game...not to mention how long it takes to print 'em (much longer than regular ol' 3D printers).

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2024, 01:38:13 PM »
+2
As for the price not going down because of the elimination of the workers who paint the figures...ya gotta pay the workers who now do the 3D models, or the full-body scanner, and pay for the equipment itself...which is pretty outrageously expensive at this early stage of the game...not to mention how long it takes to print 'em (much longer than regular ol' 3D printers).

I disagree Bob (although that will not change the price).  :D
CAD design is only done once, then millions of figures can be printed from that design. The cost of designing can easily be amortized over the production run.

Long printing time?  Sure, but they can likelyt spit out few hundred at each run of the printer.  No human needed to suprrvise the printing process.  The only possible human interaction would be to remove supports (if those are even used in the color printign process) and to package them for sale.

But yes, the technology seems to be fairly new (expensive equipment and raw materials).  But I bet you dollars to donuts that even few years from now the price will not go down. Yeah I know - inflation.  :)

I ordered couple sets last night - should have  them by the weekend or early next week.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 08:58:32 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1081
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2024, 08:27:03 PM »
I doubt they are using 3-D scanners for people- or much of anything else.  There are plenty of human body (software) models available for Blender (or traffic cones, or office furniture, or industrial buildings), so I assume there are also many available for other 3D programs- or they can be made readily with MakeHuman software.  Some designs/models are even public domain.  Lots of clothing options also available.  All you need to do is make some alteration for height and weight, pose the model, choose your colors.  Yes, it takes a skilled designer, but I would bet that the whole process takes less time than designing and cutting dies. 

Now, what it takes to go from a Blender stl file and whatever textures and whatnot are involved in getting it to print out on a multi-color 3D printer, I have no idea, but the scanned data on humans and lots of other animals and objects, along with pose-able skeletons and armatures- already done and readily available.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2024, 09:02:42 PM »
I got curious and this is what I found: https://www.aniwaa.com/buyers-guide/3d-printers/best-full-color-3d-printer/
Not sure if Noch uses any of these, but it was interesting to see the prices.
Also https://pick3dprinter.com/full-color-3d-printer/
Seems that they are all some form of filament type printing (which makes sense).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 09:06:47 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +592
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2024, 10:33:24 PM »
I ordered couple sets last night - should have  them by the weekend or early next week.

Thanks Pete! Looking forward to your pics and observations!

Mark