Author Topic: N scale southern pacific 4-8-2 mt with skyline casing kit bashing ideas  (Read 670 times)

Bjams87

• Respect: +1
I recently got hold of 2 bachman spectrum n scale 4-8-2 light mountains I want to kit bash them in to sp mt-2 or 4's with skyline casings to go with my other sp locos just looking for tips for kit bashing and maybe some leads on just the shells from a con cor or kato gs4 for the skyline casing or maybe someone might be working on a 3d printed casing on top of boiler some where maybe already getting the c6 tenders from a work body when he finds and digs them out lol... reposting here I posted this in the wrong area of forum earlier I belive

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +902
    • My blog
pondered it, still would not look right, the only SPish steam loco that Botchmann made is the 2-8-0

Bjams87

Lol I know I won't get a rivet counter correct loco but not many options for mountain type in n scale to kit bash...old lady forbids me from spending 800 to 1000 for a single tiny brass train as she says it and I don't want to sleep in garage the roof still leaks I'll fix it eventually lol

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1081
+1
...old lady forbids me from spending 800 to 1000 for a single tiny brass train as she says it and I don't want to sleep in garage the roof still leaks I'll fix it eventually lol

Lessons I learned the hard way:
1. If you stop using the term "old lady" and substitute "my lovely wife", your model railroading budget will increase. Just sayin'.
2. If you are going to collect brass, you should spend an equal amount on jewelry and fancy restaurant dinners.
3. A good air mattress, sleeping bag, and tent are more comfortable than the garage, at least, more comfortable than my garage.

Kidding aside, I have a similar project requiring a Con-Cor Hudson shell swap onto a Bachmann 4-8-2 chassis.  I don't really know where to start. So I hope you get some responses, and I learn something.

I can't speak to your particular project, but I have noted that, while there are precious few locomotive prototypes produced, there are several resin casters and 3D designers out there offering cabs and various domes and such via shapeways or other outlets. The correct cab goes a long way toward giving the right "look" to the otherwise generic USRA loco shells.

So best of luck. If I stumble across any SP resources while I am working on my (hopefully soon to be GTW) loco, I will pass them along.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1315
I'm no expert on SP steam, but from looking at a few pictures of the prototype and HO brass models, it seems fairly straightforward to make the casing. If you make an upside down U from styrene sheet and then round the corners with a file, I think you'd be most of the way there. Unless there's some deceiving geometry, it looks like a pretty basic shape.

Bjams87

I did pick up some styrene just encase I go that route but I did find a guy on shapeways that gona try to see if he can make a printable one

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +306
In the past, I ordered just the skyline casing from Concor as a part (from their old GS-4 model)...don't know if they still have them in stock, but I was able to mount them on a Bachmann MT and a MP Pacific to at least get the feel of the Southern Pacific. I would include photos, but I never finished either engine. One of these days, I hope to be proficient enough to be able to 3D design and print the correct boiler for the project.

There is a guy that is 3D printing SP GS-8 and WP GS-64 named Track 29 on FB. He might be able to help you. That just reminded me, I need to order some other parts from him but I keep forgetting to do it...
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members