Author Topic: Weekend Update 3/3/24  (Read 3250 times)

thbguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +109
Re: Weekend Update 3/3/24
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2024, 07:33:15 PM »
+14
Been working on a NW gondola with a “caged” crushed car load for about a month.
Yup, the one that Micro-trains is releasing later this month. 

At least I got to test out the liquid chrome marker for the bumpers. I chopped down the Fine N scale car loads. They are much better in person than they look in my pics. Beautiful detail.

Still need to build the cage and create some custom decals, but I’m pleased so far.
I’m using the Bachmann gondola as it is 52’6 rather than 50’.

Best regards,
Michael
Michael Livingston
Modeling southern Ontario in N scale

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt. ~ Abraham Lincoln.

altohorn25

• Crew
  • Respect: +3432
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2024, 09:19:47 PM »
+7
Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

kiwi_al

• Crew
  • Respect: +367
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2024, 12:32:18 AM »
+5
Just an update ATSF 3800 class 2-10-2, the two cut sections of the kato mikado have been smooshed together  :D

Wouldn't ya know it - looking at the photo the left side isn't level where the drivers sit. I broke that again and reglued it flat
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 12:39:13 AM by kiwi_al »

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1362
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2024, 02:52:19 AM »
thomasjmdavis:  Yes, the 1025 is the kit form, the 1023 are pre-assembled.  Oddly, the Z scale version 903/905 is just the opposite.

As for riding a tourist train from A to B, then returning another day, that isn't unusual on the D&SNG.  Quite a few people get on or off at intermediate stations, some to return later, some taking a one-way trip and returning some other way.
N Kalanaga
Be well

aikorob

• Crew
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2024, 07:25:14 AM »

As for riding a tourist train from A to B, then returning another day, that isn't unusual on the D&SNG.  Quite a few people get on or off at intermediate stations, some to return later, some taking a one-way trip and returning some other way.

GSMR has (or had) an agreement with some of the rafting companies -- take out point was where the train has an hour layover. So you could float down the Nantahala River in the morning and catch a ride back to Bryson City on the train

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2024, 09:07:57 AM »

At least I got to test out the liquid chrome marker for the bumpers. I chopped down the Fine N scale car loads. They are much better in person than they look in my pics. Beautiful detail.

Best regards,
Michael

Must. have. these. 

VERY nice paint job!

Mine will be mostly rust with touches of paint colors to place in my barges.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2024, 10:36:29 AM »
+16
Finished up the X33a. Old decals from a Fleabay seller were a struggle. Fun little project though.

Jesse6669

• Crew
  • Respect: +1252
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2024, 11:39:52 AM »
+11
I completed a T-scale Conrail (ex PRR) H45 hopper that had been sitting on my workbench.  I made sets for an N-scale CR H45 a while ago and made a set of  T-scale ones for myself.  The hopper is 3D printed, a refreshed version of an older design.  It's riding on CCE trucks and couplers, also 3D printed.  Still needs a touch of weathering. 

Speaking of decals, received these decals I made for a fellow TRW afficionado from the printer today. 

I also printed this handy-dandy adapter for my DSLR.  As background, I am terrible with taking location notes when railfanning, so I got a GPS (which mounts to the flash shoe) and adds lat/long coordinates to the Exif info on all images.  The only issue was the plug to the accessory port on the side of the camera was getting banged up/bent in handling, so I made this little plate that goes on the L-bracket and keeps it safe and sound.

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
  • Respect: +1356
    • The Little Rock Line
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2024, 01:59:46 PM »
I completed a T-scale Conrail (ex PRR) H45 hopper that had been sitting on my workbench.
Nice looking car for that scale! 

Speaking of decals, received these decals I made for a fellow TRW afficionado from the printer today. 
Interesting that you posted these decals.
Friday morning around 10:30am, the WB BNSF CHI-DEN collided with a semi about a mile west of Exeter, NB.  Derailed the locos and a bunch of headend cars.

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews/news-wire/bnsf-train-derails-in-nebraska-after-grade-crossing-collision/

Sumner

• Crew
  • Respect: +379
    • My Home Pages....
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2024, 02:07:37 PM »
+17
Sawmill Design/Build – Part 6....

Still spending way to much time on designing the sawmill complex but enjoying it.

Started work on the lift that lifts the logs out of the mill pond to a track that takes the logs through a de-barker building and then on into the mill.

I've thought about putting print files up for some different size corrugated roofing/siding flat sheets and the same with some board & batten siding files.  Wonder if anyone is interested and how hard it might be to cut them to the sized different people would need since the resin prints are somewhat brittle depending on the resin.  Haven't tried printing the corrugated on my filament printer but think it won't be able to reproduce it.  It does do a fairly good job on the board and batten.

A link to this whole build ( HERE ).

Sumner
Working in N Scale ---Modeling UP from late 40's to early 70's very loosely......

Under$8.00 Servo turnout Control --- 3D Printed Model RR Objects -- My Home Page

http://1fatgmc.com/RailRoad/RR Main/Link Page Menu.html

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
  • Respect: +1356
    • The Little Rock Line
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2024, 02:13:07 PM »
+4

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +617
    • My train pics
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2024, 03:07:05 PM »
+20
I think I need to look into getting a lens for my DSLR that allows good depth of field indoors... these cellphone shots leave everything to be desired. Regardless, I've made a little more progress in building benchwork, though I've been sidetracked dealing with a minor leak from a drain pipe (https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=56249.msg791976#msg791976).

Pictured is my facsimile of CN's ore train made up of 53 of Rapido's new barrel ore cars, five GP40-2W's, and a PSC van. GP40-2's weren't the preferred power on these trains, but photographic evidence says it did happen here and there. Scene depth is 12' from the edge of the benchwork in the foreground to the wall at back. Unitrak on temporarily placed plywood.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +466
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2024, 04:33:02 PM »
+2
53 of the Barrel Ore Cars?!?! Holy crap man! you got a far bigger train budget than I!!

Looks great though!

I think I need to look into getting a lens for my DSLR that allows good depth of field indoors... these cellphone shots leave everything to be desired. Regardless, I've made a little more progress in building benchwork, though I've been sidetracked dealing with a minor leak from a drain pipe (https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=56249.msg791976#msg791976).

Pictured is my facsimile of CN's ore train made up of 53 of Rapido's new barrel ore cars, five GP40-2W's, and a PSC van. GP40-2's weren't the preferred power on these trains, but photographic evidence says it did happen here and there. Scene depth is 12' from the edge of the benchwork in the foreground to the wall at back. Unitrak on temporarily placed plywood.

(Attachment Link)
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1662
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2024, 06:08:26 PM »

(Attachment Link)

That is so awesome.

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1159
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2024, 06:39:35 PM »

(Attachment Link)

That is fantastic!