Author Topic: Weekend Update 3/3/24  (Read 3253 times)

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3576
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Re: Weekend Update 3/3/24
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2024, 01:34:20 AM »
+20
After last week's operating session, I enjoyed some solo operations to clean up some outstanding work.

Extra 574 East is headed to Dawson Creek with a CN boxcar that came down to Chetwynd and should not have, and a PGE boxcar that should have gone to Dawson Creek and didnt:

Passing the Alberta Wheat Pool elevator at Tremblay:

Switching the NWP mill at Dawson Creek:

and the Cargill grain elevator:

Heading back to Chetwynd with a lumber flatcar and three grain boxcars from the NAR en route to Prince Rupert via CN:

I have been experiencing a clearance issue on the top circle of my helix, where trailers on flatcars are contacting the ledge supporting the top access hatch.  I removed the helix cover and went to work on the ledge with a rasp to gain the necessary additional clearance:

I then ran a trio of trailer flatcars to check for clearance:

I also re-installed my DCC command station after its return from a dealer repair:

The older station which had been powering the layout is now a spare for shows and such, and I purchased a spare power supply to go with it:

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

BCRail_FSJ

• Crew
  • Respect: +541
    • Trying to model the BCR Fort St John BC (again)...while living in Australia (what could possibly go wrong?)
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2024, 02:18:30 AM »
+12
Beatton River is finally starting to look like a proper layout after painting the fascia.  Next step is to get some track down and wired.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 02:21:42 AM by BCRail_FSJ »
Attempting Canadian prototype modelling in Australia

British Columbia Fort St John Subdivision
https://nscalefortstjohnsub.wordpress.com

kiwi_al

• Crew
  • Respect: +367
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2024, 03:30:19 AM »
+8
The start of kitbashing a mechanism to fit one of Adams (Draskos Modelworks) awesome shells. ATSF 2-10-2 3800 class - Kato mech kitbash (start of it - no finished product)

The starting point a couple of Kato Mikado mechanisms - yes I'm only showing one cause I cut the other up.

Both Mikados cut up and placed so it can be seen how this will come together

Oh you want to see the shell?  :D

« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 03:45:39 AM by kiwi_al »

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1578
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2024, 09:33:09 AM »
+31
I've been slowly plumbing my WM K2 pacific. Finally being able to mill the frame so the shell fits really jump started this project. I still need to 3d print a few things such as Nathan injectors and pop valves to tie everything together. It's tedious work, but I try to knock out one fixture every evening. Slow and steady!

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1326
    • Modutrak
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2024, 09:34:58 AM »
+37
We’re coming up on the 20 year anniversary of Modutrak this month. So, go big or go home… Milwaukee Everette Street Depot set is underway. I’ve been 3D printing platforms and getting track alignments set through the approaches.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

ATSF_Ron

• Crew
  • Respect: +192
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2024, 12:57:31 PM »
+23
Fresh out of the shops, #4353's crew (me!) takes her out for a shakedown run.

Her shakedown run complete, the loco goes out on her first revenue trip on a local passenger run.

Details and paint on these Key models are superior!  This one in particular is by far my smoothest and quietest brass loco.  Nearly as quiet as a BLI mikado with the sound off.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2024, 01:27:31 PM »
+11
Nothing as dramatic as the several steam loco projects up above, but I have spent more time the last couple weeks working (playing) on trains.

Probably the most important project is reinforcing the old stairs down to the basement, but no pics of that, at least, not 'til I'm done.

Last week, my wife and I took a day and went shopping in Muskegon, which included my first visit to a brick and mortar hobby shop with trains in quite a while.  Picked up a couple cars in the shop that I've been looking for but I could not find online.-

And the recent thread on IMRC 1937 AAR boxcars happened to coincide with my finding some spare parts on ebay.  This inspired me to dig out several old kits that had been set aside after I broke ladders, brakewheels, and grabs, plus a couple I never started in the first place. In various states of completion, and waiting for me to assemble some 1025 couplers (which become 1023 when they are assembled-- or is it the other way around?

« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 01:31:28 PM by thomasjmdavis »
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

shark_jj

• Crew
  • Respect: +375
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2024, 01:40:49 PM »
+22
It has been a few years since I posted anything from the Grand Trunk Southern.  Here is photo of newly acquired Grand Trunk Southern SD40-2 leading an SD45 northbound across the Clarion River Bridge as northbound freight 263 approaches Ethansburg.  The foreground scenery and the Clarion River are on the project list for late Spring, early Summer.  I might even find time to resurrect my Grand Trunk Southern layout thread.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 01:43:15 PM by shark_jj »
John

altohorn25

• Crew
  • Respect: +3432
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2024, 02:04:45 PM »
+13
I completed another car for my Rock Island/Southern Pacific "Golden State" passenger train this morning.

Rock Island fluted side 32 seat coffee shop / 16 seat lounge "Golden Bowl."

Union Station Products styrene sides on an American Limited core kit. American Limited trucks with Kato wheels. Micro Trains 1015 body mounted couplers. Gold Medal Models grab irons. Krylon and Model Flex paint with K4 Decals.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 02:34:51 PM by altohorn25 »
Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

altohorn25

• Crew
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2024, 02:33:39 PM »
Fresh out of the shops, #4353's crew (me!) takes her out for a shakedown run.

Her shakedown run complete, the loco goes out on her first revenue trip on a local passenger run.

Details and paint on these Key models are superior!  This one in particular is by far my smoothest and quietest brass loco.  Nearly as quiet as a BLI mikado with the sound off.

I like the Barns/Floto lithograph on the building (the locomotive is nice as well).....  :)
Nate Pierce
www.modutrak.com

bnsfdash8

• Crew
  • Respect: +1342
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2024, 02:50:22 PM »
+18
I really appreciate the ease of the usual diesel detailing I typically do after working throughout the week on my MS-4. My bends are a bit rough for some of the piping but I'm happy enough with it being my first steam build.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Next I'll be taking everything back apart to finish up the DCC install and make sure it still runs as it should. Then get things ready for some paint.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 05:13:28 PM by bnsfdash8 »
Reese
Modeling Norfolk Southern one loco at a time.

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1578
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2024, 03:10:25 PM »
I really appreciate the usual diesel detailing I typical do after working throughout the week on my MS-4. My bends are a bit rough for some of the piping but I'm happy enough with it being my first steam build.

(Attachment Link)

Looking good!

altohorn25

• Crew
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2024, 03:28:08 PM »
+17
Here's the completed train......for now anyways.....

Rock Island / Southern Pacific "Golden State" around 1948

Some blank spots in the third case for cars I have reserved from Lowell Smith.

-RI (A-B-B) set of E7's - Rock Island Life Like shells on Kato mechanisms (Digitrax DCC)
-RI Corrugated Mail/Baggage #803 - Railsmith
-RI Baggage/Dormitory #302 - Atlas car with Foobie number - K4 Decals
-SP Leg Rest Chair Car Golden Ore - Railsmith
-SP Leg Rest Chair Car Golden Sand - Railsmith
-RI 32 Seat Coffee Shop/16 Seat Lounge Golden Bowl - Union Station Products Sides - K4 Decals
-RI Leg Rest Coach Golden Cymbal - Atlas car - K4 Decals
-RI 6-6-4 Sleeper Golden Banner - Intermountain
-RI 6-6-4 Sleeper Golden Plaza - Intermountain
-RI 36 Seat Diner Golden Repast - Union Station Products Sides - K4 Decals
-SP Club Lounge Golden Outlook - Union Station Products Sides - K4 Decals
-SP 12 Double Bedroom Sleeper Golden Poppy - Kato (from 20th Century Limited set)
-RI 4-4-2 Sleeper Golden Fleece - Intermountain
-RI 4-4-2 Sleeper Golden Hour - Intermountain
-SP 10-6 Sleeper Golden Crest - Railsmith Undecorated Car - K4 Decals
-RI 2-1 Boat Tail Observation Golden Divian - Atlas car - K4 Decals

-Extra 4-4-2 Sleeper Golden Sunset - Intermountain

All the Intermountain cars were lowered to match the rest of the cars in the train and had their truck mounted couplers replaced with MT 1015 body mount couplers.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Nate Pierce
www.modutrak.com

ATSF_Ron

• Crew
  • Respect: +192
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2024, 03:40:51 PM »
+1
Nate, that's a sweet passenger setup you've got there!

Re: The backdrop...I don't recall the manufacturer, but I believe I bought it over 30 years ago at the Original Whistle Stop in Pasadena when I lived near there.  It was HO scale, so I used the color copier at work to downsize it to N.  I made several copies so I can chop up the buildings and rearrange them elsewhere on the layout.  I believe the company is now out of business.  Bummer!  They had several other backdrops I could have used today.