Author Topic: What eastern roads would you want to see on the IMRC 1937 AAR boxcar?  (Read 3419 times)

bigdawgks

• Crew
  • Respect: +186
Re: What eastern roads would you want to see on the IMRC 1937 AAR boxcar?
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2024, 07:01:00 PM »
+1
Eh the only problem I've had with the 1937 AAR kits were that most of the time the roofs would develop a very significant bow to them and it's always tricky to get them to sit flat again on the car. The tops of the cars also tended to bow out a bit so you usually have to very tightly hold everything in alignment when gluing on the roof (and it has to be a very strong bond). I think however later runs used better plastic that didn't have this problem. At least the undecorated kits I've got don't seem to have this problem.

Otherwise it's a pretty fun kit to put together. Getting things out of the sprues is easier when you've got sprue cutters. You do have to be delicate but then again this is N scale so that's pretty much expected for anything.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 08:20:49 PM by bigdawgks »

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +610
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2024, 07:26:41 PM »
Same here.  It didn't help that the interior of the boxcar is where the kit parts were kept.  If not packaged properly, that is where some of the side warp comes from.
Aaron Bearden

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1181
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2024, 08:36:59 PM »
With the roof bowing, I would put the weights in first. Run a bead of cement around the rim of the interior then place the roof on and secure it with Rubber bands for 5 minutes while the bond cured.
-Al

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +286
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2024, 12:02:26 AM »
About the three-car packaging: is there any chance there could be a few varied sets, of railroads all operating within the same location? Like Southern, ACL, SAL? Or BAR, B&M, and NH? Lackawanna, LV, Reading?  Take a poll as to which combination is most wanted.

Along with 3 all-same road name sets.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4693
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2024, 12:44:07 AM »
About the three-car packaging: is there any chance there could be a few varied sets, of railroads all operating within the same location? Like Southern, ACL, SAL? Or BAR, B&M, and NH? Lackawanna, LV, Reading?  Take a poll as to which combination is most wanted.

Along with 3 all-same road name sets.

First off, that would eliminate multiple car numbers per scheme.  Second, we're only considering four to six schemes.  And third, there aren't enough roads/schemes left in our defined region to consider that IMRC hasn't done/announced/canceled to accomplish what you ask.

I have a list compiled of what IMRC has issued stock numbers for.  I have some holes still on some of the schemes that were released as kits only and never RTR.  But I've recorded the bulk of them.  They covered quite a bit, but there are some notable schemes they missed and that's what will focus on.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3673
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2024, 11:02:52 AM »
Nothing has been decided as of yet. Still in the exploration stage. First step was to see if getting the plastic was possible. Second step is to determine demand, if possible. Third will be to determine how extensive it would be to body-mount couplers if the body hasn’t been modified for such. Fourth will be to determine production costs and if the MSRP with the dealer discount structure would still be reasonable.

An important model in N-Scale which could be so much more with additional options for ends, roofs, doors.

Would like to know how to model the CNJs 12 panel 10'-6" IH cars which came to the BCR in the 1970s.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4693
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2024, 09:13:16 PM »
An important model in N-Scale which could be so much more with additional options for ends, roofs, doors.

Would like to know how to model the CNJs 12 panel 10'-6" IH cars which came to the BCR in the 1970s.

Tim

The IMRC 12-panel GN-style boxcar isn't a good starting point?

bb
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +610
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2024, 09:18:36 PM »
Those GN cars are only 10' instead of 10' 6."
Aaron Bearden