Author Topic: What eastern roads would you want to see on the IMRC 1937 AAR boxcar?  (Read 3435 times)

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4694
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: What eastern roads would you want to see on the IMRC 1937 AAR boxcar?
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2024, 08:45:17 AM »
Some combination of MTL boxes and knuckles will work with the lower-bolster truck frames.

IM has done a lot of roads/schemes. I’ve got a rough list compiled of the 1937 AAR schemes they never ran. Still have to compile the same for the 1944 AAR. Looks like the project will be six schemes of limited-run 3-packs.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1315
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2024, 09:01:33 AM »
Will that include undercoated kits? Those are what I’d like the most.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1450
    • Modutrak
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2024, 09:01:54 AM »
Some combination of MTL boxes and knuckles will work with the lower-bolster truck frames.

IM has done a lot of roads/schemes. I’ve got a rough list compiled of the 1937 AAR schemes they never ran. Still have to compile the same for the 1944 AAR. Looks like the project will be six schemes of limited-run 3-packs.

I faintly remember this being one of the cases where the 1015 interferes with the outboard axle/shorts on the screw head once it's at the right height.  I'll be pleasantly surprised, and able to quickly fix a bunch of cars, if you're correct that it works out.  Or that we just need a different box like the 1049 or whatever?

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2024, 09:26:03 AM »
Will that include undercoated kits? Those are what I’d like the most.

Probably not only because it costs more to make those available to the point where it's prohibitive.  WHich is one reason why IMRC stopped doing it.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

bigdawgks

• Crew
  • Respect: +186
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2024, 10:19:33 AM »
As Bryan said, fixing the ride height is a simple matter.  I have a jig for filing the body bolsters, and doing it in the tooling would be equally simple.  Maybe as simple as putting ESM trucks on the cars!

Either 1015 or 1025 couplers mount fine on the older cars, after the bolsters have been filed.  I've seen a few newer ones that seem to have added material, so the coupler is at the right height with the too-high body.  Those took a lot of work, especially since they were assembled cars.

I have started installing 1025 couplers on my IM box cars because 1. they fit and 2. I believe they are slightly less tall and interfere less with the axles (plus I think they offer closer coupling). Of course it still baffles me why MTL don't supply flat head screws to take advantage of the countersunk holes on their coupler boxes. Even with appropriate screws they still protrude just a little bit proud of the box and can rub on axles, so every extra bit of clearance (no matter how minute) by using slimmer coupler boxes helps.

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +1027
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2024, 11:30:43 AM »
Probably not only because it costs more to make those available to the point where it's prohibitive.  Which is one reason why IMRC stopped doing it.
If not undecorated, how about just primed (e.g. box-car red)?     Something we could easily paint over?  Doesn't need to be a kit.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1400
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2024, 12:03:50 PM »
Welllll...I'm not an "eastern road modeler" either, but when looking at videos and photos of UP freight trains running out of Ogden during my 1947 thru 1956 era, I see plenty of eastern road boxcars.

This means I'd be happy with any eastern road names, as long as the paint schemes and build-dates were before 1955.

Photo (1) - Although the Pennsy boxcar is their own distinctive design, having it sitting on the Ideal Concrete Co. siding behind the Devil's Slide Station in my era means that plenty of other eastern road cars probably were parked there periodically waiting to be switched into one of the plant's sidings to be unloaded by the Concrete Plant Local later...

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2024, 01:56:47 PM »
If not undecorated, how about just primed (e.g. box-car red)?     Something we could easily paint over?  Doesn't need to be a kit.

Still costs money to produce and they don't sell anywhere close to the decorated schemes.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

bigdawgks

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2024, 02:13:01 PM »
Hmm, what if you created a fantasy scheme that was just solid gray? Would that sell? :D Or just decorate it in some really tacky fantasy scheme that we wouldn't feel bad about stripping and repainting.  :P

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5132
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2024, 02:27:18 PM »
I have started installing 1025 couplers on my IM box cars because 1. they fit and 2. I believe they are slightly less tall and interfere less with the axles (plus I think they offer closer coupling). Of course it still baffles me why MTL don't supply flat head screws to take advantage of the countersunk holes on their coupler boxes. Even with appropriate screws they still protrude just a little bit proud of the box and can rub on axles, so every extra bit of clearance (no matter how minute) by using slimmer coupler boxes helps.

Um, 1023/1025 do not have countersunk screw holes (unless you countersink it yourself). But the coupler boxes are thinner than 1015s, so if you fully countersink the hole you will likely remove the post inside the coupler box..
. . . 42 . . .

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2248
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2024, 02:32:20 PM »
+1
How about DATA only for fantasy road name modelers ?

Richie Dost

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1450
    • Modutrak
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2024, 02:41:42 PM »
Um, 1023/1025 do not have countersunk screw holes (unless you countersink it yourself). But the coupler boxes are thinner than 1015s, so if you fully countersink the hole you will likely remove the post inside the coupler box..

I think he's only referencing the countersunk hole on the 1015 box.  The countersink isn't big enough for a 00-90 head either though (ask me how many Atlas 2-bay hopper trucks I've melted, when outboard axles weren't matched on metal wheelsets...)  The move to M1.2 phillips headed screws has helped there.  But it's still a risk for shorting on metal underframe cars. 

Back to the Intermountain question, it's more about clearance than shorting... but it's still a problematic geometry puzzle. 

bigdawgks

• Crew
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2024, 03:25:52 PM »
Yep, I try to use flat head screws on the 1015 boxes when the axles are right under them. The 1025s usually are too long some cars but I find they work pretty well on the IM AAR cars.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5132
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2024, 03:58:47 PM »
Yep, I try to use flat head screws on the 1015 boxes when the axles are right under them. The 1025s usually are too long some cars but I find they work pretty well on the IM AAR cars.

If you "welded" the front of the 1025 box, you can trim the rear end of it even with the back of the shank. That makes the coupler box shorter.  The weld and the screw itself will keep the box together. I have done that on some installed where clearance is tight.  I like the 1025 couplers because the coupler box is smaller (thinner and narrower), making it look more prototypical.
. . . 42 . . .

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1156
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2024, 05:01:59 PM »
  This is about as far east as I am permitted by law to go.  give us some west coast love.  :) 

Joe

Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!