Author Topic: What eastern roads would you want to see on the IMRC 1937 AAR boxcar?  (Read 3440 times)

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4694
    • www.bbussey.net
Taking an informal survey ...

If the InterMountain 1937 AAR boxcar was to be revived, what eastern roads would you want to see and how many car numbers per road?  And would it be a major deterrent if in kit form rather than RTR?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 03:51:47 PM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1315
Re: What eastern roads would you want to see on the IMRC 1937 AAR boxcar?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024, 04:15:22 PM »
+2
Early ones. While I model the B&M, theirs weren't built until 1942 which makes them too late for my 1939 era. I know I'm the outlier here, but you asked...

So; C&O, CN, CP, Erie, RDG, and SR, are the only eastern companies that qualify. Kits would be preferred actually. Actually, undecorated kits would really be preferred.

Tom L

• Crew
  • Respect: +498
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2024, 04:45:57 PM »
I’m not an Eastern Road modeler, probably not your target audience but would love to see the IM 1937 cars made available.

Is undecorated an Eastern Road?

Eastern Roads that I find interesting would be A&WP in the silver black scheme and the P&LE in the slogan scheme (is that Eastern?). Maybe D&LW with the slogan schemes.  Eastern isn’t my primary deal, so it would just be one of whatever strikes my fancy

Only interested in kits. I like to build kits and I like to think I do a better job than they do RTR, plus it’s easier add weight, lower the ride height, etc. on kits

Tom L
Wellington CO

bigdawgks

• Crew
  • Respect: +186
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2024, 05:18:59 PM »
New Haven in red-orange and more importantly black New Image schemes, albeit with proper steel running boards instead of wood ones. Either as kits or RTR would interest me. I would buy as many road numbers of those as I could. A few B&M, BAR, and MEC cars would be nice, from around the mid to late 50s.

Undecorated would also be nice, especially in kit form. I would buy a bunch if they became available again, even more so if they included different door types and choice of running boards.

martin station

• Crew
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2024, 07:21:57 PM »
+1
How about NKP, IC, GM&O and Monon. RTR. Or are these not eastern enough?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 07:23:52 PM by martin station »

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +1027
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2024, 07:40:25 PM »
+1
How about NKP, IC, GM&O and Monon. RTR. Or are these not eastern enough?
If you do NKP, please do the normal herald, not the swinging R style that Intermountain has done a couple of runs of.   The swinging didn't last all that long in service.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +803
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2024, 07:42:46 PM »
+2
B&O in multiple schemes (pre Billboard and large Billboard), 6-12 cars per scheme, Kits are OK. Let me know where the dotted line is!!
Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1073
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2024, 08:09:47 PM »
My observation on my current collection of IMRC cars is that they were not particularly detail conscious, and kits would be nice, so we could swap in the correct ends and roofs for particular prototypes, without the extra work of having to disassemble the car....but I suppose those days are gone, and we'll just have to tear into ready to run and hope we don't bust anything in the process....

To Bryan's original question
It does depend on one's definition of "Eastern"-
If "east of the Appalachians"- ACL, D&LW, NH.
If "east of Chicago" - add L&N, NKP, C&O, Monon and Pere Marquette. The last was absorbed by C&O before my modeling timeframe, but I'd probably get one for sentimental reasons- the former line to the Ludington ferry dock runs 500' from my house.
If "east of the Mississippi"-add C&EI.

I would probably not need more than 1 or 2 of any of those roads other than C&EI and Monon with maybe 3 of each. (The C&EI were built by GATC, and IIRC would need some modifications to the sill)

But....since most of my use for these cars would be as random cars in freight trains, almost any road in scheme or lettering likely to be on the car in 1956 could find a place in my collection. I have "enough" boxcars for any operation I can envision, so most of these cars would replace MTL PS-1 "stand ins" with a more accurate car. If I get lucky, and it turns out some of my old MTL cars are "collector's items", selling them might fund the new acquisitions.

On the IC cars mentioned above- according to the list I have on hand (compiled by Ed Hawkins, http://steamerafreightcars.com/prototype/frtcars/1937aarmain.html ) IC did not have any of the original 1937 cars, although they did have a large number of the 1937 "modified" cars that were 4"-6" taller (depending on road/series).

As things stand, the majority of IMRC cars I have are the "modified" version, so the original version would be preferred, if I am adding cars. One of the elements that make a mid 50s freight look realistic is a mix of boxcar heights- a real freight train was anything but uniform in those days.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 08:12:19 PM by thomasjmdavis »
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +588
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2024, 08:32:56 PM »
+1
Eastern, eh?

How about ACL, B&O, C&O, FEC, NKP, SAL, Southern, WM

Would be tempted by any of those, also DL&W, Erie, LV.

I didn't mention NH cuz that's probably tops on your list.  ;)

Mark

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4694
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2024, 08:46:00 PM »
Nothing has been decided as of yet. Still in the exploration stage. First step was to see if getting the plastic was possible. Second step is to determine demand, if possible. Third will be to determine how extensive it would be to body-mount couplers if the body hasn’t been modified for such. Fourth will be to determine production costs and if the MSRP with the dealer discount structure would still be reasonable.

I would think that schemes never released as regular IMRC releases would do best. IMRC has tooled enough variations in parts that most schemes can be replicated prototypically.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1143
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2024, 08:50:02 PM »
Kits would be a plus not a deterrent!

For the 10' ih 1937 boxcar Canadian Pacific would be near the top of my list, especially if it had the flat panel roof and square corner ends.

For the 10'6" car i would love to see square corner ends to be able to do IC, Soo and DSS&A cars.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 08:55:12 PM by Missaberoad »
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

prr7161

• Crew
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2024, 09:56:17 PM »
For me (1949 modeler), the ones I can see that have not yet been released by IM are:

P&LE non-slogan; Roman reporting marks and herald without a black background
B&O pre-billboard schemes
LV
CNJ
SOU
SAL
W&LE

Re-releases would include C&O, IHB, NKP, CN

Much of a muchness for me if they would be in kit form or RTR; whatever would be easier to bring out would be fine.
Angela Sutton

The Mon Valley in N Scale

ai5629

• Crew
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2024, 09:57:24 PM »
I would like to see Bessemer and Lake Erie.  Preferably the early paint scheme with the simple Bessemer logo.  The large circle logo would also be good.  I thought they started to appear in 1960.  I still need to build my IM kits I bought at one of the N Scale Weekend events in Bedford, PA. :facepalm:

Jeff
Jeff Lopez

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +610
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2024, 10:31:16 PM »
Personally, I feel it's embarrassing that it's 2024 and no one makes an AAR 40 foot car with 7 or 8 foot doors.  Cars that are 6 footer foobs aren't good enough for me. Most of the cars I want are the 7 or 8 footers, but I could spring for accurate 6 footer cars since that's what we've got if they were in late 1940's or early 1950s schemes.
Aaron Bearden

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +353
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2024, 12:41:23 AM »
With a target time of around 1947-1949 I'd be interested in anything that would be seen on the PRR or C&O local and manifest freights.
12 numbers would be great if doable, otherwise I think 4-6 is probably the most likely.
I'd be in for kits, especially if it lowers the cost enough to pay for 1 or 2 more cars in an order (of like 20 cars).

If this happens, maybe I can sell of my collection of too-new Atlas PS-1's to fund a purchase.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566