Author Topic: Amherst Scaletrains Announcements  (Read 3539 times)

kiwi_al

• Crew
  • Respect: +403
Re: Amherst Scaletrains Announcements
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2024, 02:48:47 PM »
Yes that would have been natural justice. All Scaletrains needs to do is produce the SD45-2T and the SD45-2 and then all but one IM offering can be purchased from other manufacturers which will leave them with nothing to offer n scalers unless your road name isn't produced.  :D

MetroRedLine

• Crew
  • Respect: +170
    • Union Pacific Vallealmar Subdivision (Facebook Page)
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2024, 04:06:29 PM »
I may model late modern but I'm going to have to get those RG SD40T's.  :drool:  :drool: :drool: plus they have see through rediator intake grills. It will be interesting to see how the did that and if they pull very much.

Same here! I model modern UP but I have one of those Intermountain tunnel motors (the ones with the delicate shell that crack if you look at it the wrong way) as part of my "SP heritage train." I was saying to myself as I saw the announcement, "I don't need this, but if it has a see-through grille..." and welp...
Under the streets of Los Angeles

Canadian-Atlantic

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2024, 05:20:40 PM »
Bowser showed off a 3D printed ALCO C-415. I can't find a non fb link but they had three different bodies. I'm in for a high cab version for a freelance papermill switcher.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1615
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2024, 05:37:49 PM »
+1
Bowser showed off a 3D printed ALCO C-415. I can't find a non fb link but they had three different bodies. I'm in for a high cab version for a freelance papermill switcher.

I wonder if that’s somehow in conjunction with Briggs?
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

ek2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2024, 05:53:05 PM »
Scale trains might also announce a 4 axle diesel in May. Couldn't get Shane to say anymore than that.

Here are some pics of the SD45-T2. Even for a pre production model, the details have to be seen to be believed. Well done scale trains

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +730
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2024, 05:57:23 PM »

Same here! I model modern UP but I have one of those Intermountain tunnel motors (the ones with the delicate shell that crack if you look at it the wrong way) as part of my "SP heritage train." I was saying to myself as I saw the announcement, "I don't need this, but if it has a see-through grille..." and welp...

You can always slap a yellow renumber patch on those SP units, an appropriate UP number decal set, and weather the crap out of it, and run it as modern UP. That's what I plan to do with a pair, and maybe a pair of the DRGW ones too. Bet Scale Trains eventually does a run with renumbered or leased units as factory painted options.

The BNSF giant reefers are nice, but not essential for me.
Peter Pfotenhauer

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2382
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2024, 06:20:20 PM »
Scale trains might also announce a 4 axle diesel in May. Couldn't get Shane to say anymore than that.

Here are some pics of the SD45-T2. Even for a pre production model, the details have to be seen to be believed. Well done scale trains

40T-2. And, yes, they’re beautiful. They even got the 8307 right - it was a Locotrol master. I think I saw 8314 in the release list, which would be a Locotrol slave. They ran in pairs like that. The Locotrol equipment was in the snoot.

If the alleged 4-axle is the GP30/GP30B, I’m sunk.  :scared:
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Note: Images linked in my postings are on an HTTP server, not HTTPS. Enable "mixed content" in your browser to view.

There are over 1000 images on this server. Not changing anytime soon.

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3475
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2024, 06:23:45 PM »
+2
Intermountain is still showing some life, and some fight.  They've recently hired people for their social media team that is fighting back on the FB trolls.  In recent months, they had turned off commenting on any of their posts.  But lately comments have been turned back on and they are replying to comments.  It makes for a good read sometimes :D

kiwi_bnsf

• Crew
  • Respect: +239
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2024, 06:25:58 PM »
+4
I'm super excited about ScaleTrains releasing Tunnel Motors. They are so iconic, and the Intermountain model has a lot of flaws and has been out of production for a long time (it ranks as the worst running locomotive I've ever had the pleasure of tuning — it took eight locos to get me four runners).

I for one greatly appreciate the loco-specific details that ScaleTrains are offering here, and it's nice to see a good spread of roads and numbers that span as-delivered, mid-80s upgrades, 90s upgrades with ditch lights, and early 2000s repaints.

For those interested in the see through grilles — here is the photo posted as part of the ScaleTrains email announcement:

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/gallery/38/1512-270124181822.jpeg[/img]]

I'm slightly relieved that they have gone with a compromise here — i.e. a regular N scale mechanism with worms, and still using etched see through grilles. Okay some nit pickers might not appreciate the fact that the grill is completely see through from one side to the other, but I'd rather have a loco that runs well. For those who are offended by seeing the silhouette of the worm assembly, you have the option to black out the grilles from behind with some insulation tape.

I've already voted for these locos with my wallet  :D
--
Tim Benson

Modelling Tehachapi East Slope in N scale circa 1999

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +551
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2024, 08:25:12 PM »
+1

Man do I hope so! I’d love to get my hands on one and ruin it attempt to add ditch lights and change it to be an ex-ATSF GP30u for my shortline modeling. Although given everything I’ve heard about their locos I’m a bit scared to do that beyond just enjoy the factory decorated models
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech

pjm20

• Crew
  • Modeling the Bellefonte Central
  • Respect: +144
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2024, 09:35:11 PM »

I'll +3 that
Peter
Modeling the Bellefonte Central Railroad circa 1953
PRRT&HS #8862
Live Steam Enthusiast

Check out my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/PennsyModeler

wmcbride

• Crew
  • Respect: +69
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2024, 09:47:05 PM »
I agree that the GP30 is sorely needed. If it is a GP30, perhaps there might be a follow-on GP40 paralleling their HO efforts.
Bill McBride

wmcbride

• Crew
  • Respect: +69
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2024, 09:51:09 PM »
I'm super excited about ScaleTrains releasing Tunnel Motors. They are so iconic, and the Intermountain model has a lot of flaws and has been out of production for a long time (it ranks as the worst running locomotive I've ever had the pleasure of tuning — it took eight locos to get me four runners).

I for one greatly appreciate the loco-specific details that ScaleTrains are offering here, and it's nice to see a good spread of roads and numbers that span as-delivered, mid-80s upgrades, 90s upgrades with ditch lights, and early 2000s repaints.

For those interested in the see through grilles — here is the photo posted as part of the ScaleTrains email announcement:

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/gallery/38/1512-270124181822.jpeg[/img]]

I'm slightly relieved that they have gone with a compromise here — i.e. a regular N scale mechanism with worms, and still using etched see through grilles. Okay some nit pickers might not appreciate the fact that the grill is completely see through from one side to the other, but I'd rather have a loco that runs well. For those who are offended by seeing the silhouette of the worm assembly, you have the option to black out the grilles from behind with some insulation tape.

I've already voted for these locos with my wallet  :D

I had better luck with my Intermountain units and only "lost" 2 of 7. I added Kato wheels, used plastic to fill the gaps between the body and trucks, and spent too much time putting the shells/bodies in a position so they wouldn't loose handrails when anyone looked at them.

I ordered 4 ST units today -- a big expense. I wonder how many orders came in. I would expect a lot.

Bill McBride

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1181
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2024, 10:02:36 PM »
Unfortunately for ye olde wallet. Those were common run through power.
-Al

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +551
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2024, 10:15:23 PM »
I agree that the GP30 is sorely needed. If it is a GP30, perhaps there might be a follow-on GP40 paralleling their HO efforts.

They seem to be paralleling their mass market HO models into N scale (no SDL39 or sd38s so far) so I would guess they’d bring the GP40 along. They also announced the GP35 in HO (which is probably my favorite loco) so I’d assume they’d also bring that to N scale after the GP30 whoops, I guess I dreamed this announcement because there’s no mention of it on their Facebook page or their website  :facepalm: sorry for the false alarm folks
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 10:26:51 PM by packers#1 »
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech