Author Topic: If you can only buy one steamer with sound, which one?  (Read 1177 times)

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +733
If you can only buy one steamer with sound, which one?
« on: December 31, 2023, 03:06:59 PM »
I'm not well versed in steamers with sound.  I only know of either Bachmann or BLI.  Kato would be nice but I think it's limited with them.

Something bigger than a 2-8-0 but smaller than a Big Boy.  Price is sort of not important but of course any savings is appreciated.

I'm thinking about a BLI T1 but those Paragon decoders...  No, I don't want to install my own ESU decoder.

I want something that has low maintenance and just runs at train shows or around the home layout while I clean the basement.  :D

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2087
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
Re: If you can only buy one steamer with sound, which one?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2023, 03:44:57 PM »
See my thread over on the DCC side, I'm in the same boat with my Decapod project.

I got a Tsunami TSU-1100 with a speaker to put in it as a christmas gift, this should be fun..... as I have no idea what I'm doing.  I've installed DZ126T's in multiple little guys, but no sound before.

I've been stuck on the DC loop at Altoona for about a decade and I intend to break out.

Mike, I've watched a lot running down there, the Bachmann K4 seems reliable, same with the BLI 4-8-2, and the sound from both was impressive.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 03:48:58 PM by randgust »

MK

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2023, 03:53:05 PM »
I've been stuck on the DC loop at Altoona for about a decade and I intend to break out.

Mike, I've watched a lot running down there, the Bachmann K4 seems reliable, same with the BLI 4-8-2, and the sound from both was impressive.

Thanks Randy!  LOL at the Altoona DC loop.  It's not a big loop...  :)

A club member has a few Bachmann K4's but their whistle sounds like a dead cat.  That's not a show stopper by any means.  I'll take a look at the BLI 4-8-2.  I'm asking now because Amherst is coming up.  :D

I'll take a look at your DCC thread.

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2087
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2023, 03:59:40 PM »
There were a good number of PRR whistles that most certainly sounded like a dead cat, so it's a matter of opinion.    Roll forward on this to 4:00 to get the PRR 'Banshee'.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 04:07:57 PM by randgust »

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1289
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2023, 07:47:11 PM »
+3
I'd recommend the BLI USRA Light Mikado Paragon 4 DCC w Sound.

A couple of years ago, I ran a couple of these on Nate Goodman's layout in DC, and I was impressed by their detail, paint, the selection of sound for DC operation and their ability to traverse trackwork that wasn't all that great.

Of course I'm biased towards Union Pacific engines, and this one looks just like the UP USRA Light "MacArthurs" except for the numberboards and most of the UP prototypes had the larger, fatter "Sweeney" stacks.

If I already didn't have four Key Brass UP MacArthurs with the fat Sweeney Stacks, I would have bought several of the BLI engines.

The only negative I can find (but it doesn't particularly bother me) is the solid drivers with non-see-thru spokes, when viewed low and to the side, look a bit disconcerting.

Photo (1) - BLI USRA Light Mikado in UP Livery Paragon 4 DCC & Sound Stock Photo:

Photo (2) - BLI USRA Light Mike in UP Livery Paragon 4 DCC & Sound on Nate Goodman's Layout at the Branchline Yard:

Just for comparison's sake, here's a photo of one of my Key USRA Light MacArthurs on my Park City Branch...

Photo (3) - Key Brass USRA Light MacArthur with fat Sweeney stack, on my Park City Branch for comparison to the BLI model:

I gotta say that in some aspects, the BLI model is more sharply detailed than the Key Brass model.

I think BLI did a very good job with this model and my experience with two of them was 100% positive.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

MK

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2023, 08:54:04 PM »
+1
Thanks Bob.  That last picture with the weathering looks awesome.

I'm not a steam guy but wanted just one to leisurely run around the layout.  With sound of course.

badlandnp

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
    • Badland N.P.
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2024, 06:24:37 AM »
I would agree with the BLI light Mikado. Or the Pacific if you want to run passenger trains. Just be sure it has a Paragon 4 in it, that is a remarkable improvement.

The new issur PRR T1 with Paragon 4 is also a good choice. I have a P3 equipped T1 that is a beautiful model, now that I replaced the P3 with ESU Loksound 5.
Northern Pacific in the Badlands, in N-scale of course!

Rasputen

• Crew
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2024, 10:29:04 AM »
I don't have any Paragon 4 locos, but I am not a big fan of the chuff sound on the Paragon 3.  The P3 chuff is not synchronized with the drivers from the factory, and sounds more like a machine gun at high speeds.

MK

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2024, 10:32:39 AM »
Good to know Brian.  If I do go BLI I would definitely skip the Paragon3 since the 4 seems to be so much improved.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 10:35:23 AM by MK »

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2024, 01:07:31 PM »
I like the BLI USRA light Pacific or mikado.

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1911
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2024, 02:29:48 PM »
The one that matches your favorite railroad.

In may case, as a CSX modeler, my one is:  Clinchfield (UP) Challenger 4-6-6-4.

(though I would also love to have an A&WP Pacific which my family road on a CSX excursion train in the 1990s.)
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

ATSF_Ron

• Crew
  • Respect: +192
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2024, 07:54:51 PM »
I’m on board with Bob and other re: BLI Mikados. I have several P4 versions and one P3. While the P4 versions are better, I have noticed a huge difference in sound quality with the P3. It is a bit more picky on dirty track but I don’t have a basement or garage layout, so dirty track is not normally an issue for me. It’s in a spare bedroom.  Excellent detailing and running quality on all of them! Mine are the heavy mikados but I believe it’s the same mechanism as the light mikados.

ATSF_Ron

• Crew
  • Respect: +192
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2024, 11:37:18 AM »
Ooops, I meant to type "haven't noticed" a huge difference in sound between the P3 and P4 versions.

sschnabl

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2024, 12:49:46 PM »
Another vote for BLI, either Pacifics or Mikes.  I have two of each and they look great, sound great, and run great.  I have a few of BLI's earlier diesels (either Paragon 2 or 3), and their performance has been hit or miss.  Ironically I have an E7 from their first run of diesels under the Precision Craft Models brand, and that one runs flawlessly.  Go figure.

Scott

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +936
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2024, 10:51:08 AM »
Another vote for the BLI light Mike.  But make sure you get one with a Paragon 4, and not a Paragon 3.

The engine itself is a marvel; it runs great, pulls great, has excellent detailing.  The P3 decoder is terrible, and I replaced all the P3's with ESU LokSound decoders.  The P4 is an order of magnitude better.  I'm an all-ESU guy, but I could live with the P4 if I wasn't.

John C.