Author Topic: Rapido N Scale Budd RDC  (Read 5621 times)

ridinshotgun

• Crew
  • Respect: +77
Re: Rapido N Scale Budd RDC
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2023, 09:33:26 PM »
+2
Nah....a GG1 is more in their wheelhouse. With lots of underbody detail and sparking pantographs.

That only run on catenary supplied DCC.

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +551
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2023, 11:48:06 PM »
+1
If you don't order these RDC's they will never tool an all new Big Boy.

:trollface:

N scale will never recover from this

Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech

Narlie

• Crew
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2023, 09:17:20 AM »
Without reading all of the previous posts...

Rapido: We won't be making any more rolling stock in N scale cuz nobody is buying our unusual/rare/limited road name rolling stock. Instead, we will move to making N scale models that have already been made in N and didn't sell very well for double the cost of the ones that didn't sell and if you don't buy them, we're OUT...

Am I reading this wrong?
That is your interpretation. They did not say that. Please read the November newsletter.
What they did say was that they were going to focus on locomotives and passenger cars.
I personally disagree with that strategy and told them.

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2023, 10:08:02 AM »
"If you build it they will come"...14 years later.

The S.

Thompson Sub: Instagram | Youtube | Website

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5132
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2023, 11:28:26 AM »
I do have to admit that the different phase RDS Rapido is making has me consider a purchase (since B&M had both phases). That was a smart move by Rapido.
. . . 42 . . .

towl1996

• Crew
  • Chairman of TRW Busty Cougar Welcoming Committee
  • Respect: +144
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2023, 04:35:06 PM »
I've never bought a Rapido product, so I can't comment on the quality.

However, they make a lot of PRR HO freight cars I'd love to see in N and would purchase, but I guess I won't, since they aren't doing freight cars in N.   :facepalm:

As far as the RDC goes, I have 2 of the Katos, but the gray plastic u joint things are cracked and Kato doesn't have the spare parts.  :RUEffinKiddingMe: So, do I cough up the cash for a Rapido sound version, when I really don't care for sound or say nevermind, idk.  :|

Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +649
    • My train pics
« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2023, 05:10:54 PM »
+1

As far as the RDC goes, I have 2 of the Katos, but the gray plastic u joint things are cracked and Kato doesn't have the spare parts.  :RUEffinKiddingMe: So, do I cough up the cash for a Rapido sound version, when I really don't care for sound or say nevermind, idk.  :|

Rapido is doing a no sound/dcc ready version of the RDC for those not interested in sound.

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3673
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2023, 06:24:58 PM »
Most Kato RDCs I have seen dont run all that well; hopefully that wont be an issue with the Rapido ones.  Nice that they offer silent versions at a lower price point for those who wish it.

I looked into converting Katos to Phase 2, or refitting them with Shapeways shells, but the Rapido release will save me a lot of work.  I just have to figure out how to add the fluting across the ends and doors.

I think I have some USP Budd fluting somewhere.  Other than that, just a few Eric detail parts for the horns and lights.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1409
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2023, 12:28:18 AM »
I won't be buying one.  Why?  I model the BN, in Montana, in 1974.  The BN had a GN RDC that ran in my part of Montana, but it was discontinued in 1971, as Amtrak cancelled the service.  I have a Kato model, which I think has been run once or twice.  Why buy another one?

"That only run on catenary supplied DCC."
Has anyone run DCC from overhead wire, other than maybe streetcar/light rail?  No reason it won't work, but it seems it would be very hard to mix with steam or diesel, and few North American "heavy-rail" prototypes were strictly electric.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 01:49:17 AM by nkalanaga »
N Kalanaga
Be well

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1615
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2023, 02:07:44 AM »
+2
I won't be buying one.  Why?  I model the BN, in Montana, in 2974.

:D  :trollface:
That’s ambitious.
I’d imagine the BN doesn’t require rails at that point, right?

Kidding, of course but it was just too hard to pass up.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3673
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2023, 12:13:30 PM »
+1
The BN had a GN RDC that ran in my part of Montana, but it was discontinued in 1971, as Amtrak cancelled the service.

That unit was sold to the British Columbia Railway to replace two lost to accidents.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

thbguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +110
« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2023, 01:11:31 PM »
+6
Hobbies are a good way to relax and relieve stress.

So I happily ponied up for three Rapido RDCs in support of them, like I always do for their Canadian products. I like what Rapido has done and how they do it. Yes, they have had some N scale learning curves like with the GARE reefers, but they do unique products, which is why most of us are in the hobby.

I never thought I’d be able to have LRCs without making them myself. I guess I will have to dig them out to make sure the battery hasn’t killed them. My turbos and Canadians are awesome. My GMD1s and FPs run quietly and creep when I want them to. The Procor tank cars are great. I have Ontario Northland baggage cars in two correct paint schemes. When people have had issues with their stuff I’ve heard that they are very responsive.

I do and will continue to support manufacturers like Rapido who try to put out unique N scale products that I want.

Your mileage and enjoyment in the hobby may vary.

Kind regards,
Michael
Unemployed and hoping to have some relaxing train time soon.

Michael Livingston
Modeling southern Ontario in N scale

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt. ~ Abraham Lincoln.

crrcoal

• Crew
  • Respect: +83
« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2023, 06:37:10 PM »
I'll grab 2 PhII Undecs and decal them for PRSL.

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +496
« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2023, 11:54:14 PM »
Really needed to produce RDC SP10 in the repaired, red stripe version, the as delivered version did not last long.

The as delivered version lasted at least 7 out of the 18 years that SP 10 spent on the SP.  Do you know for sure when the new scheme was applied?  Not sure it was before the mid 70s.  Plus the newer paint scheme would require a different body style, with the single-ended post crash modifications.

Turns out the as delivered scheme is the more appropriate one for the club prototype locations so I'm still gonna go for it.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 02:11:38 AM by jagged ben »

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1409
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2023, 01:54:52 AM »
+2
Bryan:  Yes, that is a typo!  I fixed it...

On the other hand, Warren Buffett, when asked why he was buying BNSF, said that as long as people ship stuff in bulk, railroads will have freight to haul.  And, even in 2974, I suspect that steel wheels on steel rails will be more energy efficient than magnetic levitation, or air-cushions, or other "high-tech" ideas.  So, as he also said, until we invent teleporters, railroads will be running.

Even with Star Trek transporters, I can't quite imagine beaming 10,000 tons of wheat from the Midwest to the coast.  I doubt that the trains will be interchangeable with today's, but it wouldn't surprise me a bit if the basic idea is still in use.
N Kalanaga
Be well