Author Topic: Rapido N Scale Budd RDC  (Read 5623 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5132
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Rapido N Scale Budd RDC
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2023, 10:53:09 AM »
+1
Bryan:  Yes, that is a typo!  I fixed it...

On the other hand, Warren Buffett, when asked why he was buying BNSF, said that as long as people ship stuff in bulk, railroads will have freight to haul.  And, even in 2974, I suspect that steel wheels on steel rails will be more energy efficient than magnetic levitation, or air-cushions, or other "high-tech" ideas.  So, as he also said, until we invent teleporters, railroads will be running.

Even with Star Trek transporters, I can't quite imagine beaming 10,000 tons of wheat from the Midwest to the coast.  I doubt that the trains will be interchangeable with today's, but it wouldn't surprise me a bit if the basic idea is still in use.

That all assumes that humans will still be around in 2974.  I have my doubts.
. . . 42 . . .

Tristan Ashcroft

• Crew
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2023, 05:43:35 PM »

This is a valid question.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1409
« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2023, 02:21:18 AM »
Not model product related, but possibly of interest to RDC fans, this article is in Railway Age magazine"
https://www.railwayage.com/passenger/intercity/adventures-on-via-rail-the-last-budd-train/

"Adventures on VIA Rail: The Last ‘Budd Train’
Written by David Peter Alan, Contributing Editor

RDCs were used for commuter-length runs, corridor-length trips on lightly-patronized lines, and even for long trips where they replaced once-famous trains until those runs were discontinued. From the 1950s onward, they were seen and heard (yes, their engines were loud) on railroads from the Boston & Maine to Trinity Railway Express, and from the Northwestern Pacific to the Canadian Pacific. Today there are a few in service on certain tourist railroads, and there is one scheduled route where they run three times a week in each direction, year-round."
N Kalanaga
Be well

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +3190
« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2023, 06:14:00 AM »

Not on my event horizon .. I doubt I will live 1019 years  :scared:

signalmaintainer

• Crew
  • Respect: +235
« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2023, 06:33:23 AM »
It's not hate from my standpoint, but when they blame the modeler for low sales on niche models that are specific to one area or time frame it's kind of hard but not turn your nose up at them.  As that's how it's seems they did to us.  The success of the centerbeam shows n scalers can and will support them.

Exactly. Well said, Adam.
NSMR #1975, RMR #4

signalmaintainer

• Crew
  • Respect: +235
« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2023, 06:39:25 AM »
Without reading all of the previous posts...

Rapido: We won't be making any more rolling stock in N scale cuz nobody is buying our unusual/rare/limited road name rolling stock. Instead, we will move to making N scale models that have already been made in N and didn't sell very well for double the cost of the ones that didn't sell and if you don't buy them, we're OUT...

Am I reading this wrong?

Sounds about right.
NSMR #1975, RMR #4

High Hood

• Crew
  • Respect: +128
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2024, 12:18:43 PM »
Rapido just posted this on FB regarding the RDC:

“This is also just the first release of N scale RDC models. With the success of this run, we will look at doing many other paint schemes, road names and body styles in the future!”

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1181
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2024, 05:04:52 PM »
+3

“This is also just the first release of N scale RDC models. With the success of this run, we will look at doing many other paint schemes, road names and body styles in the future!”

Probably in response to the entire Jersey Modular scene asking for PRSL, CNJ, and NYSW at Amherst.
-Al

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +989
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2024, 05:21:33 PM »

I remember another company saying that about their N scale RDCs ;)

But Rapido has more (and better) first round picks....  Hopefully we see Round 2..

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3673
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2024, 10:58:32 AM »

Excellent; need to get my RDC-1 ordered, and will eagerly await a Phase II RDC-3 in the future.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ