Author Topic: Weekend Update 12/17/23  (Read 5346 times)

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3514
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Re: Weekend Update 12/17/23
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2023, 07:38:55 PM »
+22
The LIRR IS took a major step this week, having all of the background structures installed. The design renders them all removable in case I have to do any work between the PRR main and the buildings. All but the abandoned building on the far right have some form of lighting, so I installed female two conductor micro connectors so that when I get the wall wart installed, I can run a bus and add the the male connectors and plug things together.

In between structure installations, I installed these awesome LED light panels into the existing ceiling light frames. @peteski , might recall when I converted the ceiling light AC circuits to 12v DC using a large transformer and huge bridge rectifier, lol. Needless to say the homemade led strip lights were a failure, so I went and got a six pack of these for about $175.00. Super price on Amazon. They can be synced to a common color and switched between 3k, 4k, and 5k using the wall toggle switch. They are also dimmable, but I am going to pass on that for now.

Here is the structure attachment. The layout is on drawer slides so the buildings will slide back to the eventual backdrop that I have started imaging, from the actual location inspiration for the layout.

East )right) side of the canal:

West (left) side of the canal:

mplsjct

• Crew
  • Respect: +435
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2023, 08:43:17 AM »
+23
CNW transfer rounding the curve at Minneapolis Junction…

I’m not here to argue

Jesse6669

• Crew
  • Respect: +1259
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2023, 11:01:12 AM »
+16
I finally did the water for Fraser Lake on the 1:300/T gauge WP&Y.  This was Woodland Scenics "murky water" with the lake bed previously painted olive drab and tan shoreline, with a blend done with airbrush.  Overall it was pretty easy and took two full pours.  The shoreline has the usual surface tension thing that happens with these poured resin waters...  I may play around with some matte finish to mitigate the leeching effect and build up the shore ground texture a bit near the water.  The background rock and foliage was airbrushed with some light gray to blend it with the backdrop (thanks again @Ed Kapuscinski for the help with printing!)  Overall, I am satisfied with the effect of looking across a wide lake with forced perspective.  Now to finish the foreground scenery adding some trees, etc. install the Fraser water tank/station.. then run some trains!  I need to paint up a pair of the DL535Es...

In T-scale news, I "re-tooled" the H-45 hopper to be more accurate and 100% 3D printed (w. handrail/end braces instead of etch) and did a Southern Ry. TrainMaster.  It's decaled but needs some final tweaks and I will post pics when finished. 

milw12

• Crew
  • Respect: +333
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2023, 11:51:51 AM »
+10
That CNW transfer shot looks great!

It's been a few years since I really did anything scenery related, here are some recent attempts to get back in the groove.

Still plenty to tweak but it's coming along.

Lucas

signalmaintainer

• Crew
  • Respect: +235
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2023, 02:44:23 PM »
+31
NSMR #1975, RMR #4

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1348
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2023, 03:44:05 PM »
+1

@Jesse6669 Great scene emerging.  I recall the lake was a green-turquoise color and completely opaque from the glacial silt.  Is that meant to be Summit Lake?  I have lots of pictures from the area if you need, I spent two years working on Summit Lake.

I finally did the water for Fraser Lake on the 1:300/T gauge WP&Y.  This was Woodland Scenics "murky water" with the lake bed previously painted olive drab and tan shoreline, with a blend done with airbrush.  Overall it was pretty easy and took two full pours.  The shoreline has the usual surface tension thing that happens with these poured resin waters...  I may play around with some matte finish to mitigate the leeching effect and build up the shore ground texture a bit near the water.  The background rock and foliage was airbrushed with some light gray to blend it with the backdrop (thanks again @Ed Kapuscinski for the help with printing!)  Overall, I am satisfied with the effect of looking across a wide lake with forced perspective.  Now to finish the foreground scenery adding some trees, etc. install the Fraser water tank/station.. then run some trains!  I need to paint up a pair of the DL535Es...

« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 03:47:09 PM by Scottl »

Scottl

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2023, 05:46:23 PM »
+16
Running trains again has reminded me that I need to power my frogs. I have a few Tam Valley frog juicer boards but I need another 20 frogs powered, several of which are in isolated locations.

I've been working on a plan for an Arduino "frog juicer" using a Nano, relay board and AC current sensors.  They are all cheap and available from eBay or similar online sources.  Here is the first version I put together (only wired for 2 of the 8 relays).  It worked with my test on some track and a DCC locomotive (TCS decoder).  The sketch is very short and simple.  If it ultimately works, the relay boards come in 1/2/4/8 configurations and the Nano can handle up to 8 frogs.

It looks like a rats nest of wire, so the next version will reduce this and make the connections to the layout more straightforward.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +6326
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2023, 11:59:45 PM »
+10
Looks like I need to add another industry to the layout...

Seen today in Weldon,  NC.
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +3192
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2023, 06:55:38 AM »
+1
Running trains again has reminded me that I need to power my frogs. I have a few Tam Valley frog juicer boards but I need another 20 frogs powered, several of which are in isolated locations.

I've been working on a plan for an Arduino "frog juicer" using a Nano, relay board and AC current sensors.  They are all cheap and available from eBay or similar online sources.  Here is the first version I put together (only wired for 2 of the 8 relays).  It worked with my test on some track and a DCC locomotive (TCS decoder).  The sketch is very short and simple.  If it ultimately works, the relay boards come in 1/2/4/8 configurations and the Nano can handle up to 8 frogs.

It looks like a rats nest of wire, so the next version will reduce this and make the connections to the layout more straightforward.

Please start a thread on this in the electronics section… this is cool stuff

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3475
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2023, 10:52:18 AM »
+1
Looks like I need to add another industry to the layout...

Seen today in Weldon,  NC.
Lee

That seems right up your alley Lee :D

Jesse6669

• Crew
  • Respect: +1259
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2023, 11:20:01 AM »
+2
Thanks!  I considered some more turqoisy/bluer undercoats but deferred to the "safe" olive drab/sandy brown.  Too late now to change it in any event, and I think it largely depends on the sky anyway.  I opt for gray/overcast even lighting.

I thought it was "Fraser Lake" but that's actually Bernard Lake (according to the map)..  Here's the view (link)

@Jesse6669 Great scene emerging.  I recall the lake was a green-turquoise color and completely opaque from the glacial silt.  Is that meant to be Summit Lake?  I have lots of pictures from the area if you need, I spent two years working on Summit Lake.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2023, 11:22:35 AM by Jesse6669 »

Scottl

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2023, 11:40:21 AM »
Ah, the lake at Fraser is definitely less turbid so it works well.  Overcast is a good choice there- there are not many sunny moments on the pass.

Thanks!  I considered some more turqoisy/bluer undercoats but deferred to the "safe" olive drab/sandy brown.  Too late now to change it in any event, and I think it largely depends on the sky anyway.  I opt for gray/overcast even lighting.

I thought it was "Fraser Lake" but that's actually Bernard Lake (according to the map)..  Here's the view (link)

altohorn25

• Crew
  • Respect: +3594
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2023, 01:02:14 PM »
+9
The Olympian Hiawatha and Morning Hiawatha running over the LaCrosse Division; July 5, 1953:

Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

bnsfdash8

• Crew
  • Respect: +1491
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2023, 03:39:54 PM »
+12
I decided to wrap up my BN 4750 hopper weathering. One of my cats decided it needed a fall off the table so I had to piece the end railings back together the best I could. Thankfully the damage was somewhat minor and I found most of the pieces. I ended up painting the repaired section fresh BN without any weathering.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I gave AK Interactive's "Ultra Matte Varnish" a try. It sprayed nicely though my airbrush without thinner, but it also thinned well with their acrylic thinner, and gave me a really nice finish. I'll definitely be using it on any future projects.

Obligatory cat tax:

« Last Edit: December 17, 2023, 03:43:05 PM by bnsfdash8 »
Reese
Modeling Norfolk Southern one loco at a time.