Author Topic: SP 2-8-0 differences  (Read 1431 times)

ATSF_Ron

• Crew
  • Respect: +195
SP 2-8-0 differences
« on: December 10, 2023, 10:53:57 PM »
+2
Hope everyone is having a great weekend!  I've been decaling my painted but unnumbered SP connies.  I'm trying to be as accurate as possible in numbering, so my conundrum is figuring out the main differences between the C-8, C-9, and C-10 connies, other than road numbers.  I have one C-8 left to decal.  I've done Google searches (not helpful at all), looked at SP web sites (somewhat helpful), and poured through my SP books.  I'm not getting any definitive answers other than road numbers.  Coast Daylight has a page that lists the various C-class 2-8-0s by road number, but even these changed over time.

I've attached a few pics showing different angles on 3 of my connies.  The C-8 and C-9 look identical to me.  The C-10 has an obvious difference in the smokebox front.  The first two are Oriental locos.  The 3rd one (C-10) is from Key.  I also have a Key C-9 which looks very similar to the C-10.  Other than the smoke box fronts and road numbers, I can't tell any differences.  Domes, cabs, piping, drivers all look the same to me.  Same with pics I've observed.  Are there any SP steam gurus out there with spotting feature info?  Thanks in advance!

ATSF_Ron

• Crew
Re: SP 2-8-0 differences
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2023, 10:55:48 PM »
OK the 3rd pic disappeared entirely, and I have NO idea why the 2nd one is upside down!

Slim Rail Mike

• Crew
  • Respect: +192
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2023, 11:37:21 PM »
+1
      While I don't have the knowledge of steam engines to answer your questions about SP's consolidations, this site may help.

https://nightowlmodeler.blogspot.com/p/locomotives-of-southern-pacific.html

There are drawings and specs that may help to sort them out.

Michael
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 11:41:48 PM by Slim Rail Mike »

ATSF_Ron

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 12:28:07 PM »
Thanks, Mike!  Lots of good info on his site.

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +902
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2023, 01:08:54 AM »
+3
ok...the C8, 9 and 10's were basically the same locomotive, much like the AC10-12. the big difference that you see here is the manufacturer of the model...

Botchmann's 2-8-0 is a bit larger, but makes a descent stand in with some kitbashing

johnb

• Crew
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2023, 04:55:52 PM »
now I have a question....My son was spinning the tender trucks....which side is hot on the tender?

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5151
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2023, 05:02:29 PM »
+1
now I have a question....My son was spinning the tender trucks....which side is hot on the tender?

Opposite to which wheels are hot on the loco.  :D
I don't know specifically, but should be easy to figure out with an Ohm Meter or continuity tester.  Not even sure if all manufactures follow the same convention. Better to verify.
. . . 42 . . .

ATSF_Ron

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2023, 12:25:55 PM »
John, loco looks good!  I have a couple of these as well.  Unmodified at this point.

Mike C

• Crew
  • Respect: +155
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2023, 04:59:07 PM »
+1
  @johnb   Steam locos are usually Loco picks up on the Engineers side and tender picks up on the Firemans side .

Mike Madonna

• Crew
  • Respect: +120
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2023, 10:58:13 PM »
+4
Hope everyone is having a great weekend!  I've been decaling my painted but unnumbered SP connies.  I'm trying to be as accurate as possible in numbering, so my conundrum is figuring out the main differences between the C-8, C-9, and C-10 connies, other than road numbers.  I have one C-8 left to decal.  I've done Google searches (not helpful at all), looked at SP web sites (somewhat helpful), and poured through my SP books.  I'm not getting any definitive answers other than road numbers.  Coast Daylight has a page that lists the various C-class 2-8-0s by road number, but even these changed over time.

I've attached a few pics showing different angles on 3 of my connies.  The C-8 and C-9 look identical to me.  The C-10 has an obvious difference in the smokebox front.  The first two are Oriental locos.  The 3rd one (C-10) is from Key.  I also have a Key C-9 which looks very similar to the C-10.  Other than the smoke box fronts and road numbers, I can't tell any differences.  Domes, cabs, piping, drivers all look the same to me.  Same with pics I've observed.  Are there any SP steam gurus out there with spotting feature info?  Thanks in advance!

Ron,
I wanted to double check my "library" before replying. You are correct in that the OL locos are virtually identical regarding domes, appliances, etc. I'll try to address each loco:

- 2705: OL C-8 class; Key spotting feature is on the Fireman's side. Above the 3rd driver, the walkway is straight over the air pump. I have looked at several photos of lower numbered C-8s (like 2705) and this loco is basically a dead ringer. OL, IIRC, paired this loco with a 100-C class Vandy tender with the Post-1946 "Southern Pacific" lettering.

- 2513: OL C-9 class; Key spotting feature is on the Fireman's side. Above the 3rd driver, the walkway "steps up" over the air pump. Again, I viewed several photos of lower numbered C-9s and another very close match. OL paired this loco with a 90-SC class "whale back" tender with the Pre-1946 "Southern Pacific Lines" lettering.

- 2842: Key C-10 class: Similar to C-8 class regarding Fireman's side. Photos I've seen verify the similarities. Key paired this with a 100-C class tender with the Post-1946 "Southern Pacific" lettering. Model does not have "blow downs" below cab (and it should like OL locos)

A few other observations on all; the OL locos have the SP "switcher" type pilot usually seen on this and other smaller classed locos. The Key uses a tube type pilot. Cab numbers on the OL locos are much closer to what SP used. I'm not quite sure what font the Key model uses. I do not own the Key 2-8-0. That said, I have several of the OL locos, both C-8, C-9, painted and "undec". All run VERY well, they are just a bit "light". Not much room to add weight, but it can be done.
Hope this sheds a little light on these classic SP locos.....
Mike
SOUTHERN PACIFIC Coast Division 1953
Santa Margarita Sub

ATSF_Ron

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2023, 12:11:17 PM »
Thanks Mike.  That's very helpful info!

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +306
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2023, 01:55:41 PM »
I couldn't remember exactly what the differences were, but I knew that they were very minor. If the SP made any change in the design, they created a different class for it.
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

johnb

• Crew
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2023, 02:00:31 AM »
  @johnb   Steam locos are usually Loco picks up on the Engineers side and tender picks up on the Firemans side .
thanks, it looks like the insulation is failing, it is sparking from the #2 driver on the fireman's side without the tender on

johnb

• Crew
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2023, 02:02:12 AM »
John, loco looks good!  I have a couple of these as well.  Unmodified at this point.
thanks, I filled in the sand dome area and used a second steam dome as a sand dome

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5151
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2023, 09:26:34 AM »
thanks, it looks like the insulation is failing, it is sparking from the #2 driver on the fireman's side without the tender on

Is it possible that someone took the drivers out of the loco then installed driver #2 rotated 180 degrees?  That would cause the behavior you described.

In brass locos, the insulation in the drivers is between the tire and driver's center.  Under magnification you can see the thin layer of insulation in that area. 
. . . 42 . . .