Author Topic: ESU V5 Question  (Read 714 times)

rodsup9000

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
ESU V5 Question
« on: October 04, 2023, 10:05:42 AM »
 I bought 2 IM F7 B's with sound. I installed V5 Micro lokPilot's in 2 IM A's. I got them speed matched with the sound off, but when the sound is on, the sound units pauses a few seconds before they start moving, and the 2 A's are wanting to move as soon as the throttle is turned up. How do I fix this. I've looked at all the setting in decoder pro for the micro's to pause them for the sound units. Is there a setting (CV's) on the sound decoder I can change so that they start moving as soon as the throttle is turned up.
 I do have a programmer that I bought 2 or 3 years ago that I've never used it yet. I don't time to figure it out as I have a Ops session Saturday and have a lot of other stuff I have to get done.

Thanks
Rodney

My Feather River Canyon in N-scale
http://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=31585.0

Sdynamo

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
Re: ESU V5 Question
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2023, 11:14:10 AM »
+1
There is an option on the LokPilot decoders to "delay start if sound enabled".  You can update it by changing a CV but I don't have all the info handy right now.  The link below is for an older decoder but the CV may be the same.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1195708/Esu-Loksound-Micro-V4-0.html?page=52

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1961
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2023, 01:02:46 PM »
Rod, the delay is actually a very nice ESU V5 feature; the engine revs up before it starts moving. You didn't mention what's in the B units and I don't know off hand. Hope you're able match them. I have Lokpilots in my A's and V5 Loksound in my B, and they play
together nicely.
Good luck,
Otto

Spruslayer

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2023, 01:05:10 PM »
Do you know the brand of decoder in the F7 B's?
Are you speed matching them wile they are in a consist or speed matching individually?
I have Kato F7 A/B consist with Loksound in the A's and Lokpilots in the Bs that i speed matched wile consisted and they run well together
Hold my juice box!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5213
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2023, 01:09:07 PM »
Are you speed matching them wile they are in a consist or speed matching individually?
I have Kato F7 A/B consist with Loksound in the A's and Lokpilots in the Bs that i speed matched wile consisted and they run well together

Recent IM F7 run uses ESU LokSound 5 and LokPilot decoders.
. . . 42 . . .

rodsup9000

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2023, 01:21:07 PM »
Rod, the delay is actually a very nice ESU V5 feature; the engine revs up before it starts moving. You didn't mention what's in the B units and I don't know off hand. Hope you're able match them. I have Lokpilots in my A's and V5 Loksound in my B, and they play
together nicely.
Good luck,
Otto

Otto,
 The IM B's are equipped with ESU V5 sound decoders. I installed LokPilot micro's into the A's.  So it sounds like what you have setup in yours.  So what did you do so the LokPilot's to get the delay??

Rodney

rodsup9000

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2023, 01:25:42 PM »
I have them in simple consist (all 4 loco's the same address) as I do with all my ABBA sets. I have 4 sets with Soundtrax decoders with sound in the B's and nonsound in the A's. I don't have this problem with them.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 06:40:59 PM by rodsup9000 »
Rodney

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2023, 01:47:10 PM »
I have them in simple consist (both loco's the same address) as I do with all my ABBA sets. I have 4 sets with Soundtrax decoders with sound in the B's and nonsound in the A's. I don't have this problem with them.

It's not a problem per se, it is an ESU "feature".  I have not messed around much with these settings, so I have no suggestions. I think there are 2 separate delays. One is when the prime mover goes through its startup sequence (the loco wont' move  until the motor sound gets to idle), and the other one is when the motor revs up but the loco doesn't move, simulating the action of the 1:1 locomotive.
. . . 42 . . .

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +866
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2023, 02:09:36 PM »
For further clarification, the "sound start delay" can be turned on in V4.0 and later LokPilot decoders or turned off in LokSound decoders. So, you can have everything either do the delay or not do the delay.

Frustrating (for me) side note, recently someone on another forum was livid when he ran across this after installing ESU sound and non-sound decoders in I think something like an ABBA consist. I tried on multiple replies to tell him that they can be made to run flawlessly together, so long as the LokPilot decoders were V4.0 or later (he said they were V5's). It sounds like he must have inquired about this on perhaps the ESU forum, and I guess someone (who could very well have been an end user, not an ESU rep) replied that they are not compatible with regards to the delay. I couldn't find this inquiry at the ESU forum though, so I'm not positive where he got this info. At any rate, he was convinced that an ESU rep told him they were not compatible with this delay and kept arguing with me about it with replies like "so, the folks at ESU are wrong then?". I think he decided he was going to rip the decoders out and switch to another brand.:facepalm:

rodsup9000

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2023, 02:15:59 PM »
For further clarification, the "sound start delay" can be turned on in V4.0 and later LokPilot decoders or turned off in LokSound decoders. So, you can have everything either do the delay or not do the delay.

Frustrating (for me) side note, recently someone on another forum was livid when he ran across this after installing ESU sound and non-sound decoders in I think something like an ABBA consist. I tried on multiple replies to tell him that they can be made to run flawlessly together, so long as the LokPilot decoders were V4.0 or later (he said they were V5's). It sounds like he must have inquired about this on perhaps the ESU forum, and I guess someone (who could very well have been an end user, not an ESU rep) replied that they are not compatible with regards to the delay. I couldn't find this inquiry at the ESU forum though, so I'm not positive where he got this info. At any rate, he was convinced that an ESU rep told him they were not compatible with this delay and kept arguing with me about it with replies like "so, the folks at ESU are wrong then?". I think he decided he was going to rip the decoders out and switch to another brand. :facepalm:

Otto,

Looking at the manual, it looks like CV 124 needs to be changed to 4 on the LokPilot.
 Is that what you did???

Rodney

Dwight in Toronto

• Crew
  • Respect: +355
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2023, 02:59:37 PM »
On the LokProgrammer, “Delay starting if drive sound is enabled” is CV124.2

Personally, and despite it being prototypical, I find this feature to be annoying, and always turn it off.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2023, 03:06:40 PM »

Otto,

Looking at the manual, it looks like CV 124 needs to be changed to 4 on the LokPilot.
 Is that what you did???

Well, if Cv124 is currently set to the default setting of 28 (bit 2 is set to 1 already), then to disable Prime Mower Delay, (bit 2 needs to be zero, not one), you would set CV124 to 24. If CV124 has a value other than 28 then you will have to calculate what the new value will be when bit 2 is set to zero.

Unfortunately the ESU manual (and most other decoder manuals) is not very clear explaining bit-type registers.
. . . 42 . . .

rodsup9000

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2023, 04:55:46 PM »
+1
 I got my Lokprogrammer out and I think I got it. I'll test it out later tonight.
  On the B units with the sound decoder, I went into "driving characteristics" and un-checked "Starting delay" and wrote that to the decoder.

Rodney

GM50 4164

• Crew
  • Respect: +98
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2023, 06:34:03 PM »
Depending on how you have them setup in a consist, you'll need to turn on F8 on the lokpilots once you've enabled the delayed start for sound option in the lokprogrammer. Once these steps have been taken, the lokpilots will operate as if they are sound units and run fairly well with the loksound equipped units.

Benjamin H

rodsup9000

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2023, 06:49:59 PM »

Thanks everybody.
The change worked. They run nice now. Need to go back and change the speed table as they run a little fast for my liking.

Depending on how you have them setup in a consist, you'll need to turn on F8 on the lokpilots once you've enabled the delayed start for sound option in the lokprogrammer. Once these steps have been taken, the lokpilots will operate as if they are sound units and run fairly well with the loksound equipped units.

Thanks, Benjamin,
 As I said earlier, they are simple consisted.

I have them in simple consist (all 4 loco's the same address) as I do with all my ABBA sets. I have 4 sets with Soundtrax decoders with sound in the B's and nonsound in the A's. I don't have this problem with them.
Rodney