Author Topic: October MT releases  (Read 1387 times)

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +736
October MT releases
« on: September 28, 2023, 12:29:22 AM »
Here's a fall bonanza of cars from the folks in Talent, OR.

https://www.micro-trains.com/publicfiles/monthly/MN2310.pdf

Buy yourself a bridge. Get real. Go to Mexico. Do some pole hauling. A little something for everyone this month.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 12:31:00 AM by basementcalling »
Peter Pfotenhauer

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +209
Re: October MT releases
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2023, 12:51:38 AM »
Time to save  $$ and sleep ..

Zzzzzzzzz

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3508
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2023, 02:59:53 AM »
+1
Nothing for me.  Still bummed by the decision not to do proto graffiti (understand why), October was always a good month (it was usually the mid-Sept release) because I'm a Halloween baby and there's plenty of related graffiti for them to do.  I made sure to get every car released, even the autoracks that don't run on my subdivision.

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1315
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2023, 08:32:32 AM »
How long did the style of dimensional data on the ATSF reefers last? I associate it with the early 20th century, but I have no idea how long it hung around.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4704
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2023, 08:32:51 AM »
Nothing for me either, although it’s an interesting selection of models. The fully-detailed COFC decks is something they should do on all TOFC, COFC and open auto rack releases. People will pay for the enhanced detailing.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +9008
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2023, 10:39:01 AM »
Nothing for me either, although it’s an interesting selection of models. The fully-detailed COFC decks is something they should do on all TOFC, COFC and open auto rack releases. People will pay for the enhanced detailing.

Not even the PC gon to break up your G26 fleet?

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +306
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2023, 11:22:46 AM »
After last month, I needed a month or two to recover. Although the cars I ordered are not out yet, the SP multipacks will eventually do their damage...
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4704
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2023, 11:56:26 AM »
Not even the PC gon to break up your G26 fleet?

Nope.  While the model looks good, it's not a Pennsy class G33, which had the same overall dimensions as the G26.  The ATSF prototype is (properly) narrower than the G33, so one painted in PC would look odd next to the three ESM PC mill gons.

I have the first ATSF release, so I've done my part.  Though if they ever start paint-detailing open auto rack decks on a regular basis as in the MTL/ESM EL collaboration and on the COFC flats here, I'll be first in line. 8)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 12:00:03 PM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Englewood

• Crew
  • Respect: +286
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2023, 12:31:45 PM »
I'm a sucker for intermodal flats, so I'll be picking up the three this month. Nice to see the Mexican railways getting a little attention.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1961
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2023, 01:15:00 PM »
Actually, the ATSF war emergency gondolas with automobile frame loads got my attention. A friend has these in HO and they make an interesting and common load, especially in this part of the country (SoCal) where a multitude of auto parts were shipped for assembly in then new local plants. These came in on hot westbound "Redball" freights, along with engines, carbodies, tires and such before just-in-time manufacturing became norm. I wonder whether the car frames are 3D printed and whether they will be available separately? Sure hope so...JOE?
Fun stuff,
Otto K.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1081
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2023, 01:28:58 PM »
Actually, the ATSF war emergency gondolas with automobile frame loads got my attention. A friend has these in HO and they make an interesting and common load, especially in this part of the country (SoCal) where a multitude of auto parts were shipped for assembly in then new local plants. These came in on hot westbound "Redball" freights, along with engines, carbodies, tires and such before just-in-time manufacturing became norm. I wonder whether the car frames are 3D printed and whether they will be available separately? Sure hope so...JOE?
Fun stuff,
Otto K.

I'm with you, Otto.  I don't think I can resist the gons, even though they are several scale feet short of the prototypes (I am going to assume they did not fix that for this batch).  I was hoping some enterprising 3D modeler would put the frames on the market- since I was planning to use my existing war emergency gons to model these cars.  But since MTL beat them to it, I think I will give up worrying about the 3' short-ness and buy a set.  And if they do come out with a separate frame kit, one or two of those for the gons I already have. 

How long did the style of dimensional data on the ATSF reefers last? I associate it with the early 20th century, but I have no idea how long it hung around.
You are correct. I looked it up in the ATSF refrigerator car book just to be sure.  The paint job is correct for RR-W's, as built in 1920.  By the mid 20s, they started repainting with a smaller herald, and more modern data placement.  The paint job is certainly wrong for the mid-1930s rebuilding (mentioned in the MTL caption)- since all the rebuilt cars were painted in then-current paint scheme.  That said, the first big batch of ATSF rebuilds did keep their wood sides and ends.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +649
    • My train pics
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2023, 01:31:37 PM »
Kinda liking the scale test load kit.

samusi01

• Crew
  • Respect: +569
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2023, 02:15:05 PM »

On the road and limited internet - I am assuming there are proto photos of this floating around?

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +9008
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2023, 02:24:35 PM »

Yeah, and there's so much potential there beyond the scale test cars. MOW, cough, cough.

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +649
    • My train pics
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2023, 03:17:49 PM »
Yeah, and there's so much potential there beyond the scale test cars. MOW, cough, cough.

Yup, was thinking that too.