Author Topic: Weekend Update 7/30/23  (Read 3815 times)

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3576
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Re: Weekend Update 7/30/23
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2023, 09:55:57 PM »
+6
Hope you are healing well Richie.

I started work on a small diorama this week:  a diversion from the layout after a two-year campaign to reassemble it, something to practise various techniques on, and a vehicle for possibly earning my Prototype Model certificate in the NMRA's Achievement Program.

This is the styrofoam base:

and this is the first three contour levels cut out and ready for stacking:

More in the build thread:  https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=56303.0

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1147
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2023, 09:59:48 PM »
+17
Continued work on the freelance boxcab shell. Next up is Pilots, paint and electronics.

-Al

Lenny53

• Crew
  • Respect: +1596
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2023, 10:51:29 PM »
+2

http://johnmarvigbridges.org/La%20Vista%20Rail%20Crossing.html

This done to guard the against truckers who can't figure out they won't fit under the bridge.

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1671
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2023, 02:37:28 AM »
+11
This week the Ultradomes got constant lighting marker lights, trucks and couplers. The last step now will be paint and decal touch ups.

Build thread:

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=56214.30

Craig

mplsjct

• Crew
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2023, 12:19:46 PM »
+2
Quote from: CBQ Fan link=topic=56317
It looks more like a trail than a road to me. Protection for people walking and riding from debris falling off a train.

I was thinking the same, the road is too narrow for regular traffic, makes me curious as to what is regularly hauled on the rail overhead.
I’m not here to argue

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +619
    • My train pics
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2023, 12:34:41 PM »
I was thinking the same, the road is too narrow for regular traffic, makes me curious as to what is regularly hauled on the rail overhead.

I would guess crushed stone may have lead to the structure being installed, having been pelted with stone leaking out of a hopper doing around 60mph (CR WLR) can confirm that it's not a great experience.

Or there was money left over an someone's brother in law owns a contracting firm.

SP-Wolf

• Crew
  • Respect: +1899
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2023, 12:42:00 PM »
+21
SP Alco DL600B's (RSD-15) testing on the LA division

Thanks,

Angus Shops

• Crew
  • Respect: +260
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2023, 01:23:54 PM »
+3
The photo location is identified as the “West Papio Trail”. But that doesn’t really resolve the question about what is probably best called a “protective canopy” protects the trail users from. Maybe sand or gravel leaking out from imperfectly closed hopper cars…

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6788
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2023, 01:46:12 PM »
+17
I managed to wreck a set of light power (ABA set of F7s) the night before last, putting two F-units in the ditch, while the F7B stayed on the rails and continued to grind away at the rails.  At first, it seemed there was no significant damage, other than the coupler box that fell off, causing the first derailment.  I’ve never had that happen before; the mounting screw somehow backed out.  That coupler was on the rear end of the trailing F7A, which caused it to immediately derail and the coupler box to explode sending the Sargent Engineering coupler spring flying to parts unknown. The other F7A and B units ran one more loop, before coming back around to ram the derailed F, putting the other F7A in the same ditch.  The end result: Engineer Smith was fired for complacency and inattentiveness, but only after he cleaned up his mess.

Last night, I discovered that the coupler on the lead locomotive was damaged, because the knuckle pulled out when I tried to lash it up to a cut of cars.  So, No. 118 was pulled from service and put into the shop, while the other F-units (Nos. 116 and 117) headed north with an intermodal train.

This morning, No. 118 was released from the shop at Hamlet.  It was spotted in a northbound freight with a mother-slug set, en route to Richmond to catch back up with the other executive F-units.

The story you have just read is true.  Only the names have been changed to protect the innocent.  For example, Dave Foxx was referred to as Engineer Smith.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1955
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2023, 02:06:30 PM »
+1
SP Alco DL600B's (RSD-15) testing on the LA division

Thanks,

Very nice, Wolf.
Otto

spr1955

• Crew
  • Respect: +251
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2023, 02:31:30 PM »
+10
Moving along with my tunnel entrance/exit to north staging.  Finished the liner.  I would not use EVF Foam again, you can do just as well with heavy black cardstock. Contact cement would have been a disaster because it bonds instantly and permanetly, no repositioning.  I ended up using 3M 924 adhesive transfer tape.  Moved on to plaster and rocks.

Dave P

Jesse6669

• Crew
  • Respect: +1254
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2023, 03:47:51 PM »
+9
The O gauge GP38-2 decals are completed except for a little touch up with Micro Sol.  The K-4 decals were ever-so-slightly translucent, but they look ok.  Applying them over those giant hinges and door latches required a lot of patience and Micro Sol--I'm not used to the huge tracts of la.. decal film.  Still to do: final layer of clear, windows, and assembly on the frame.

On top of the GP are two new T-scale cars, an N&W H-11 hopper and an F7B dummy.  The H-11 is still in need of it's data stencils.  The N&W roundel decal was a bit of an experiment.  The plain white/clear decals of this design came out as white blobs, lacking in definition.  It seems there's a limitation on the decal printing process with any spaces smaller than 0.1mm--essentially the ink bleeds from each side of the gap to form a solid color.  So, I made a decal where the gaps were printed in their own color (black) and it resulted in a clearer decal.  I've also modified other designs so elements are "skinnier" in order to print properly.  For example a PC worm needs to have the letters thinned so there are 0.1mm gaps between the P & C --which results in the proper appearance instead of a blob of white.  Just another of the quirks of this small scale.   - Jesse

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

SP-Wolf

• Crew
  • Respect: +1899
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2023, 04:55:40 PM »
Very nice, Wolf.
Otto

Thanks, Otto!!

Best regards,