Author Topic: powered freight car/stealth loco  (Read 1162 times)

ATSF_Ron

• Crew
  • Respect: +195
powered freight car/stealth loco
« on: July 23, 2023, 07:28:08 PM »
Happy Sunday!  I've seen a few things on Youtube and some other places I can't recall about this topic.  I'm wondering if anyone can steer me in the right direction for this.  I'm looking for ideas to boost or replace pulling power/running reliability on a couple of older brass steamers I just can't get the gremlins out of.  I'm thinking of gutting the motor or gears on them and just using a stealth freight car or passenger car with a motorized mechanism to push them along. I've seen the Kato mini 11-106 types but think they might be underpowered and not up to the task.  Not sure.  Another idea I had was to use a Kato F3/F7 B unit for power and use a freight car body over it.  Something like the old Roundhouse 50 ft. express reefer, for example.  That seems to be about the right size.

Anyone try something similar or know of any existing threads on this topic?  I did a search on this forum and others but had no luck.  Thanks!

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1853
    • Maxcow Online
Re: powered freight car/stealth loco
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2023, 07:49:01 PM »
I don't have a reference for projects on using a powered car.  But I have a comment about this.

The major sticking points on brass steam are usually a) short circuits   b) rod or other wheel jams   c) poor pulling power   d) poor electrical pickup.

I can see using a powered car to fix c and d.  But if those are not the type of "gremlins" you have, a powered pusher car may not help you much.  If your drivers are jamming, taking out the motor isn't going to matter much because most brass steam relies on rod-driven drivers.  If they are jamming, they will continue to jam even if you push from behind.  Ditto for short circuits.

ATSF_Ron

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2023, 09:46:50 PM »
Max, my issue with one of my brass steamers is pulling power.  I solved its short circuiting problem and replaced the traction tires with new ones, hoping that would fix pulling power.  Not so much.  The Pecos River 4-6-2 is still experiencing short circuits.  I've taken some time away from that one as it was driving me nuts.  Thanks for the tips.

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +202
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2023, 10:02:18 PM »
+1
I have put several Atlas fifty foot boxcars over a LL metal frame FA-1 power chassis.   Here is a photograph of a Dummy MDT (motor fried-newer shell on older chassis)

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2023, 10:03:31 PM »
+1

ATSF_Ron

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2023, 02:08:37 PM »
Brokemoto and cmj413, thank you both!  These look great and are exactly what I have in mind.  I have plenty of the old MDC reefers and Atlas cars to use as donors!

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +202
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2023, 04:18:44 PM »
I have used LL plastic frame FAs and F-units, as well. The split metal frame FA-1s have worked the best for me.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1074
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2023, 04:20:40 PM »
I have used LL plastic frame FAs and F-units, as well. The split metal frame FA-1s have worked the best for me.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

ATSF_Ron

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2023, 04:53:41 PM »
Brokemoto, I have my eye on a couple of the Lifelike locos on Evilbay.  I also messaged randgust about his kit.  Thanks again.

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +989
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2023, 08:48:23 PM »
Wouldn't it be cool if one of the new Big Boy MFGs (or anyone doi g big steam) powered thier tender..

carlso

• Crew
  • Respect: +501
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2023, 09:07:40 PM »
What would be cool is :

If one of the new KATO Big boy power chassis would fit under a tender to convert say an EM-1 into a triplex. Uhm golly, food for thought.
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

nscaler711

• Crew
  • @frs_strelizia
  • Respect: +186
    • IG
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2023, 01:10:08 AM »
I'm just going to leave this here:
https://www.plazajapan.com/4543736259718/
Poke around that site, they have different lengths available.
That is roughly 49' all you'd have to do is slap some sideframes on and away you go.
“If you have anything you wanna say, you better spit it out while you can. Because you’re all going to die sooner or later." - Zero Two

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2023, 11:19:50 AM »
+2
I'm just going to leave this here:
https://www.plazajapan.com/4543736259718/
Poke around that site, they have different lengths available.
That is roughly 49' all you'd have to do is slap some sideframes on and away you go.

Good summary of what is available from Tomytec, etc here:

http://www.trainweb.org/tomix/chassis_dim.htm

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +761
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2023, 03:43:59 PM »
Wow, Tomytec seems to have a ton more than Kato!  (Time to look for them when I get to Japan.)

nscaler711

• Crew
  • @frs_strelizia
  • Respect: +186
    • IG
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2023, 06:27:49 PM »
Wow, Tomytec seems to have a ton more than Kato!  (Time to look for them when I get to Japan.)
and when you do, let me know! I may or may not need an inside person.  :trollface:
“If you have anything you wanna say, you better spit it out while you can. Because you’re all going to die sooner or later." - Zero Two