Author Topic: Atlas Summer Catalog... (Those beer cars must have been popular)  (Read 2566 times)

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +245
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
Re: Atlas Summer Catalog... (Those beer cars must have been popular)
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2023, 01:30:20 PM »
I'm surprised Atlas isn't delving into faded/weather/grafitti...

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +649
    • My train pics
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2023, 01:52:30 PM »
+1
Now, I am teed off!  There is a Brauer Beer (not widely available in the US, but still) and I DEMAND they do one of my ancestors' local brews......NOT.

I believe the fantasy schemes should just show us that these mfgs probably couldn't survive on the purchases of the experienced modeler with prototype knowledge.  They probably looked at MT and saw how well the colorful fantasy schemes did/do with "casual" model railroaders and followed suit and followed profits.  And, rather than complaining, we should probably thank those kinds of collectors for getting runs up and prices down, even if just a bit. 

I mean, at one time I heard there was like a 300 unit minimum on rolling stock to be worthwhile, although Paul Graf told me that with new printing technology that wasn't as big a deal as it used to be, at least for individual paint schemes.  If still true, based on responses so far here, they would need to get about 298 more preorders from less serious modelers to make these happen.

I hope they sell well and that Atlas plows some of the proceeds back into things I WANT.  LOL

When I was a kid, dad and I bought cars for roads we'd see trackside as well as one's that caught our eye at the store. I'm glad I stopped doing that and stick with what's relevant to my core interest... except when I don't.

Spades

• Crew
  • Respect: +169
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2023, 02:01:55 PM »
+1
Couple of things.. they weren't $5 in 1970, they were $3...
And it was this thing.

They didn't get to $5 until the 1980s with the A.T.S.F. and Conrail scheme..

You'd think they would quit reprinting stuff they mass produced 30 years ago...

Sorry, I to read your post.  1970 would imply well 1970 to 1979.  Didn't know that was 1980.

So, essentially, these are $35 versions of the same tooling as the stand ins we paid $5 for in the 1970s, with somewhat upgraded couplers. Although some of the beer trailers are nice.

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +1005
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2023, 02:12:39 PM »
Well it goes to show what Inflation was like in 'the 1970s'.. Jumped from $3 in 1970 to $5 in 1980 :)

Another tidbit..
$3 1970 was mfg in either Austria or Yugoslavia
and
$5 1980s was mfg in USA (for some.. likely the plug doors.. but maybe not the piggyback flats)

Also this was advertised as Volume 1..
so I'm guessing there will be a Volume 2 at the NMRA show.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2023, 05:55:49 PM »
+1
I still wish they would spend more time catching up on the past announcements that keep stacking up. Maybe refresh old announcements that they actually will produce in the next 12 months.  I just counted 39 products scheduled for 2nd quarter. That ends today.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 05:58:59 PM by CBQ Fan »
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +1005
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2023, 06:51:23 PM »
+1
Plus the items from Q1  :D

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3492
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2023, 07:51:03 PM »
+1
I still wish they would spend more time catching up on the past announcements that keep stacking up. Maybe refresh old announcements that they actually will produce in the next 12 months.  I just counted 39 products scheduled for 2nd quarter. That ends today.

Was just talking about this with my boss today.  He mentioned wishing Atlas would send some N scale locomotives.  We are down to bare bones in the display case.  Told him there a ton on the production/shipping schedule to be released this quarter.  Maybe by Christmas we will get a few

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8997
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2023, 09:33:05 PM »
I'm surprised Atlas isn't delving into faded/weather/grafitti...

Was talking about that the other day, but I have a feeling that getting the same QC MTL does, and that the products require, out of a contractor a world away would likely be a NIGHTMARE.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2023, 07:27:30 AM »
+1
Was just talking about this with my boss today.  He mentioned wishing Atlas would send some N scale locomotives.  We are down to bare bones in the display case.  Told him there a ton on the production/shipping schedule to be released this quarter.  Maybe by Christmas we will get a few

The lead times are so long it is making them irrelevant in my world. For comparison Athearn announces a year ahead but they actually deliver the product within a month or so.  BLI meets their schedule. I guess as long as Atlas doesn’t get as bad as Intermountain that is something.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 04:36:02 PM by CBQ Fan »
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3492
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2023, 07:38:25 AM »
I ordered the new 3230 hoppers Feb 1,2022 and got them yesterday.   17 months from announcement to delivery (brand new tooling).  Meanwhile, I ordered IMRC 3281 sometime in 2016 and they are still taking reservations (brand new tooling)

Englewood

• Crew
  • Respect: +285
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2023, 12:06:21 PM »
+1
There's probably less complaining when a model manufacturer makes fantasy cars like the beer logos than there is when they try and make a prototypical model. Plus, they probably sell more. A win-win for them.

DirtyD79

• Crew
  • Respect: +155
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2023, 01:19:55 PM »
There's probably less complaining when a model manufacturer makes fantasy cars like the beer logos than there is when they try and make a prototypical model. Plus, they probably sell more. A win-win for them.
Yep, collectors love `em. You should see some of the crazy prices people are asking for the old Tyco cars painted for stuff like Tootsie Rolls, Pepsi, etc. I know they're not 100 percent protytypical and maybe it's nostalgia for when I was a kid but I actually get a kick out of them.
I'm stronger when I'm drunk!

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +296
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2023, 05:38:13 PM »
Hey, how about their FAs?  :D

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2023, 05:56:47 PM »
Hey, how about their FAs?  :D

I have two FA units on pre-order, my last Atlas pre-order.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1150
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2023, 12:29:23 AM »
+2
I'd say so. Even in the '70s, when I worked for SP, there was a big problem with thefts from beer cars, and we're talking about plain ol' tuscan red insulated 60' boxcars. It was clearly an organized effort where the bad guys knew what to look for. So there's no way in heck that there would be cars emblazoned with product identity. No way.

Except for the ones that did  :D

http://www.railgoat.railfan.net/other_cars/1private/hamms/hamms.htm
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface: