Author Topic: Weird noise from relatively new BLI NW-2  (Read 1404 times)

joelm

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
Weird noise from relatively new BLI NW-2
« on: June 18, 2023, 09:03:23 PM »
+1
Hi all: This past weekend, my relatively new BLI NW-2 started making a very odd buzzing sound. It starts 45 to 60 seconds after the locomotive begins to move with the sound on (horn), and continues until it's taken off the track and then the time frame restarts next time it's put on the track. Otherwise it runs fine.  Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. I've had it for a year or more. Will BLI fix or repair it? 

I tried to upload a short movie, but could not make it happen. Help on that would be appreciated, as hearing it will help diagnose it. (I'm sure I've seen videos here)"

Thanks, Joel

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5206
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Weird noise from relatively new BLI NW-2
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2023, 10:35:44 PM »
Hi all: This past weekend, my relatively new BLI NW-2 started making a very odd buzzing sound. It starts 45 to 60 seconds after the locomotive begins to move with the sound on (horn), and continues until it's taken off the track and then the time frame restarts next time it's put on the track. Otherwise it runs fine.  Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. I've had it for a year or more. Will BLI fix or repair it? 

I tried to upload a short movie, but could not make it happen. Help on that would be appreciated, as hearing it will help diagnose it. (I'm sure I've seen videos here)"

Thanks, Joel

You can't upload videos to the Railwire.  You can only link to externally hosted videos (like YouTube).
Are you running it on DC or DCC?
. . . 42 . . .

joelm

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2023, 11:35:00 AM »
Hi Peteski: I had a feeling about the video. Yes, DCC.  It's' worked fine in the past. Also, the noise does not seem to be mechanical; it seems to be coming from the speaker. Maybe like a speaker buzzing - feedbackish.

Thanks.  Joel

Mike C

• Crew
  • Respect: +157
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2023, 04:40:33 PM »
 Is it like a crackling noise ?

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2023, 05:22:34 PM »
Thanks Joel.  We're getting closer to a more detailed problem description.   :)

I'm not quite sure how to interpret "It starts 45 to 60 seconds after the locomotive begins to move with the sound on (horn)".

Ok, so the noise seems to be coming from the speaker.  Are all the other sounds (diesel engine, bell, horn, etc.)  still audible when you trigger them (alongside the noise), or the noise is all you are hearing?  Also, if you mute the sound using a function key (F8?), do all the sounds (including the noise) stop?

What DCC system are you using?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 05:24:08 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

joelm

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2023, 08:26:15 PM »
Hi Peteskie et al:

First, I'm using a Digitrax system.

Second: The sound is fine for the first 45 - 60 seconds of continuous running (I can use the horn and bell and they work correctly and sound fine).
Then, the following thing are happening sequentially: The sound program starts running through a number of the sound types even though I haven't pushed any new buttons (I hadn't noticed that initially); random single chimes, bells, crew chatter (which is distorted and sounds like the crew is talking with a lungful of helium (squeky),  and then the buzzing sound starts.

Third: Yes, all the other sounds can be heard, but the weird buzzing noise is pretty loud, almost drowning out the horn, bell and chatter.

Fourth: When I press 8, all the sounds stop, including the buzzing.

Thanks for assisting!

Joel

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2023, 08:40:50 PM »
Joel, I seem to recall that BLI decoders have the ability to record and play back a sequence of behaviors (sounds, etc.). Maybe that's what is happening here? But on second thought, I think you have to press some F-key to trigger the playback.

This then sounds to me like the decoder has blown its brains (it is defective). I assume that you already tried to reset the decoder?
. . . 42 . . .

joelm

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2023, 09:59:45 PM »
Hi Peteskie: Embarrassed to say "no", I have not reset it. I will try that, and see if it helps. Stay tuned. Thanks  Joel

djconway

• Crew
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2023, 12:18:15 AM »
Also look at the overall volume setting, you may be over driving the speaker.

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +865
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2023, 12:23:48 AM »
Also look at the overall volume setting, you may be over driving the speaker.

This!

I find that many default volume settings are far too loud for N scale sized speakers and, now that you mention it, I turned to volume in my N scale BLI NW2 WAY down when I first got it. I the OP's NW2 also N scale?

joelm

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2023, 12:47:03 AM »
Tehachapi Fan: Yes, N Scale. Sorry, should have said. I periodically post on the N Scale page, so forgot. The volume was turned down when I first programmed it. Thanks. Joel

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2023, 08:39:59 AM »
The sounds are undistorted until 45-60 seconds of  running.  If the volume was too high, the problem would show up right away, as soon as any sounds were playing.   If reset did not take care of the problem, I believe the decoder is toasted. Not something modeler can fix.
. . . 42 . . .

joelm

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2023, 12:02:15 PM »
Thanks, Peteski: Haven't had a chance to run the reset. Will do so tonight or tomorrow, and report back. Thanks again. Joel

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +865
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2023, 04:43:23 PM »
The sounds are undistorted until 45-60 seconds of  running.  If the volume was too high, the problem would show up right away, as soon as any sounds were playing.   If reset did not take care of the problem, I believe the decoder is toasted. Not something modeler can fix.

Completely disagree. When I did my very first sound install (which was N scale) and before I knew default volumes were often set way too high for N scale sized speakers, I blew up the decoder. There was ample warning though, as the sound would begin to severely distort and garble after a minute or so of running. Unfortunately, I didn't figure out what was happening in time before the amp finally blew.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 04:45:10 PM by tehachapifan »

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2023, 04:56:43 PM »
Completely disagree.

Well Russ, the way I read the problem description was that Joel repeatedly ran that model, and every time it behaved the same way.  Sounds ok first, then 40 second later it starts the strange noise.

If something was to blow (amp or speaker), after the first time the sound would always be distorted.  Or am misinterpreting things?
. . . 42 . . .