Author Topic: Piko (DE) announce Whitcomb 65 ton switcher in N  (Read 3400 times)

bigdawgks

• Crew
  • Respect: +188

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5227
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Piko (DE) announce Whitcomb 65 ton switcher in N
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 01:56:44 PM »
That is an unusual development, but I'm not complaining. Not very familiar with that loco (I don't believe any of the RRs I model ever owned one). but I'm sure it will make someone happy. seems like a rather obscure prototype.

I guess the main reason PIKO (as a mainly European prototype manufacturer) made that loco is because it was used in Europe.  I suppose they made the American version (no buffers and knuckle couplers), to expand their market.
. . . 42 . . .

kiwi_al

• Crew
  • Respect: +403
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 02:10:15 PM »
Well this is interesting, I have a GE 65 ton which is one of Randy's kits. The price is a little high but I may just get one  :D

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3509
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 02:34:07 PM »
Maryland Midland had one in their early years.  They did it in HO, wonder if they plan on it in N scale.  I'll likely pass if they do, but they'll be some that get it

bigdawgks

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2022, 02:58:54 PM »
I guess the main reason PIKO (as a mainly European prototype manufacturer) made that loco is because it was used in Europe.  I suppose they made the American version (no buffers and knuckle couplers), to expand their market.

A few remained in service with Netherlands national railways (NS) after the war, so that is probably the primary appeal for the European modelers. PIKO did it in HO a few years ago and it was the same situation; they offered both Dutch and US versions.

Personally I'm more interested in their Swiss items but many of them are exclusive to Swiss retailers and will therefore be quite pricey to import.  :(

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5227
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2022, 03:42:19 PM »
Personally I'm more interested in their Swiss items but many of them are exclusive to Swiss retailers and will therefore be quite pricey to import.  :(

I also purchase quite a few of European N scale items from various European sources.  As for the prices, the US Dollar is quite strong against the Euro.  You should be able to find the European equipment for favorable prices (especially if you can buy the models without paying VAT).
. . . 42 . . .

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2394
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2022, 03:52:33 PM »
Flanges.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Note: Images linked in my postings are on an HTTP server, not HTTPS. Enable "mixed content" in your browser to view.

There are over 1000 images on this server. Not changing anytime soon.

bigdawgks

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2022, 03:58:25 PM »
I also purchase quite a few of European N scale items from various European sources.  As for the prices, the US Dollar is quite strong against the Euro.  You should be able to find the European equipment for favorable prices (especially if you can buy the models without paying VAT).

Normally I buy from MS-Lippe, and in that case you are right. But the Swiss don't use the Euro, and for some reason their retail stores are always pricier and shipping from Switzerland definitely isn't cheap.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5642
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2022, 05:45:29 PM »
The CAD photo of the US version looks nice!

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1771
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2022, 11:05:16 PM »
Yeah I'll spring for one of these in MMID.

Tom L

• Crew
  • Respect: +498
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2022, 11:59:31 PM »
Nice, I’m in for one

Comes in any color you want with a U.S. pilot as long as you want blue & yellow with the U.S. pilot 

$200 currently …… gonna have to sell some stuff

Tom L
Wellington CO

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2273
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2022, 12:31:31 AM »
That is an unusual development, but I'm not complaining. Not very familiar with that loco (I don't believe any of the RRs I model ever owned one). but I'm sure it will make someone happy. seems like a rather obscure prototype.

Well this will hurt Randys offering .

Richie Dost

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2273
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2022, 12:36:12 AM »
I am in for one USA , maybe 2 as I can make it into a W&LG super easy . But the price will need to be lower .

Richie Dost

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1427
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2022, 01:04:48 AM »
Tried the "filtered" link - all I got was a page telling me I needed a newer browser because mine is obsolete.
N Kalanaga
Be well

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4704
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2022, 02:02:38 AM »
Very cool, though it is one of the few esoteric prototypes that New Haven didn't purchase so I'm safe on skipping this one.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net